Barabbas Custom for this Site

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Do you support the idea of the Barabbas Custom for this Site?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 2

jgh7

Barabbas Custom for this Site

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

In Matthew 27 we read of the Pilate's custom to release a prisoner that the crowd would choose during the yearly festival (Barabbas was the prisoner chosen over Jesus).

I bring up the idea of doing something similar on this site. Once a year a vote can be cast to unban someone (with the option also of unbanning no one).

My thought is that people deserve another chance. Granted they've been given tons of chances before they're banned (or their violations were so egregious that they were banned rather quickly, and perhaps those people can't be put up for vote). But in the spirit of forgiveness I like the idea of once a year possibly unbanning someone. Some of the banned people really enjoyed this site and a part of me wants to hold out the opportunity for them to return.

So in the spirit of this very topic, I hold a poll!

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Barabbas Custom for this Site

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

I'd rather have the Unbanning Custom as Barabbas means something like (utter) Criminal which isn't what we should encourage, I think.

However, I think not all banned people should be eligible. I think they need to suffer 12 months or 24 months of banning before being pardoned.

So: I'm open to this.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #3

Post by benchwarmer »

To follow the story, I think the mod team would need to put someone forward to be unbanned (our Jesus stand in) and we (the mob) would chant "No, crucify him, we want <insert someone who really should stay banned> instead!"

So, I don't see how it would work well if we follow the Bible story. It would only result in the mob (us) bringing someone back that doesn't deserve it.

Now, if you want to institute a system were everyone (mods and all) vote on someone to be asked to return if they like, that might have some merit. To be honest though, most who are banned are not missed. There are a few I can think of who might be ok to bring back, but they basically committed Seppuku in a fit of rage and stormed off as they seemed to have had enough of this site.

jgh7

Post #4

Post by jgh7 »

[Replying to post 3 by benchwarmer]

Heh, yeah I don't mean to be a literal following as in the story, but more of the system you described. And the Barabbas Custom is a rather poor name for it, I initially just thought it sounded catchy, but it's extremely mean to relate people banned here to Barabbas. That was not my intention at all in giving it that name.

I agree that most people banned are not missed and did indeed get banned through committing rage-induced seppuku. But I can think of one person whose arguments I did like reading and thought it unfortunate they went the route of suppuku so to speak.

If this system is only done once a year and with the option to unban no one included in it, then I think it would function well.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

To be honest I would support a banning system that simply doubles the length of punishment. One year banned then two years then 4 then 8.

Is anyone banned that has been asking to come back?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Neatras
Guru

Post #6

Post by Neatras »

So does that mean people who try to make a new account to circumvent the ban was resurrected?

If someone's banned, they're banned. If I get banned, I may not like the outcome, but at least I'm being held to the same level of scrutiny as others. Turning the yearly "festival" into a popularity contest would only further divide the community, I feel, as theists would inevitably find someone they'd think a martyr, and atheists would... Well, they'd probably just oppose most of it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

From what I have seen in my short time here, those who get banned have received plenty of warnings and continue to break the rules in order to expedite their banning.

I've also seen posters who end up in warning status (can't remember the right term) turn themselves around, clear their status after 30 days, and then proceed to post in a manner that is in the guidelines of the rules.

Those who got banned had plenty of chances to not get banned. If they came back, I suspect they'd ignore the rules as they did the first time and end up banned again.