Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

One on One debates

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

A suggestion.

could there not be a place where one on one challenges are made public? That is, a forum that simply says, say, x challenges y on topic z? And then shows whether y has acknowledged and accepted the challenge, and, if declined, gave a reason?

I think this would add some spice to the debates here. I know I have PMd members here for one on ones and have always, ALWAYS, received responses that, had they been reversed, would have been accused of cowardice: e.g., "I simply don't find you a worthy adversary."

(I won't point how how blatantly arrogant such a dismissal sounds! One may well wander whether the arrogance is a disguise for fear).

So perhaps one on one proposals could be made public: the glove thrown down in the eyes of all. Wouldn't that make the site here more exciting and thus attract more viewers and, hopefully, more members??

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

A great idea.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

I'm not so convinced this is a good idea. But, if you can get people to support this idea, we can try it out.

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: One on One debates

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

I'm not really convinced this is a great idea. It sounds like you want to force people to publicly state why they won't debate you. i.e. you want to bring peer pressure to bear and hope they bite.

One can already debate with people in public by responding to their posts in a given thread. I fail to see the point in forcing someone to join you in a one on one debate if they are already engaging in the normal forums.

If this were to become a feature and I was challenged to debate someone I didn't want to waste my time with outside of regular threads, I would simply answer: NO.

Perhaps a different twist on this idea would be a subforum where you can post topics you would be willing to engage in one on one debates with someone. A feature of this subforum could be a poll where people vote whether they would like to see this debate.

Example:

I would like to debate the Theory of Evolution with someone who believes it's a conspiracy by scientists.

POLL:
Would like to see this:
[] Yes
[] No

Forum goers can then vote on whether they want to see this debate. Anyone could also comment in the thread and accept the challenge and arrange details.

A topic that gets a high number of people wanting to see it could maybe garner an interested opponent to take part.

I would also love to see a feature where people get to vote on who they think is doing better in the debate. Not necessarily 'winning', but providing well thought out responses and supporting all ideas well. This would need to include the option to change your vote as the debate progresses.

Look at me, finding all sorts of work for our fearless leader otseng :) He's got nothing better to do right? :P

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

[Replying to post 4 by benchwarmer]

I like your idea much better. And it might be possible to implement it now without the need for any additional coding.

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

These are good counter points. In the end a simple method for better match making is what I think is beings asked for.

What about a new usergroup head to head debaters can apply for and you have to spend 1000 tokens to apply of course and possibly 500 to debate.

That way head to head debaters can discuss and suggest topics for debate.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by rikuoamero »

Consider me voting in favour of benchwarmer's idea.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense