Bullying on the website

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Swami
Sage

Bullying on the website

Post #1

Post by Swami »

I bring up before the topic of bullying. I see another common example that can be fixed.

Why is it that a religion person starts a discussion that they are then forced to debate with 6 different atheists?

Is this fair? How would the atheist feel when their topic is attacked by 6 Christians?

Atheists should know that attacking someone as a group is nothing more than bullying.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

This is the nature of the debates here. Since many atheists don't make much claims, it's much simpler for them to attack an idea than defend an idea. But, as long as they are civil, it's not bullying. Consider it a privilege that so many people are willing to debate you. Or if you do want to limit the number of opponents, you can just debate in the head-to-head subforum.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

If you think it's bullying simply report it. Bullying is not allowed here.

Is it the fault of the atheist if there are more of them here than theists? Is it our fault that there is little unity amongst theists, whereas atheists often agree with each other?

One of the great things about this website is that everyone has a voice and everyone can express their views. If this were like many other websites, particularly Christian ones anyone whose beliefs clash with that of the administration team are usually shut down immediately. Be thankful that doesn't happen here.

Here everyone is welcome, not just the Chrisitans who agree with the site owner. It doesn't matter what religion. Even heretics are welcome here.

Bring in more of your friends, Swami. Gang up on the atheists. I'm sure my fellow atheist and agnostic friends here would be fine with that. They generally don't feel threatened by opposing viewpoints.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Miles
Savant

Re: Bullying on the website

Post #4

Post by Miles »

PrincessJasmW wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:04 pm I totally agree with the author! I mean, the subject of online bullying, and arguments regarding religion, are really stupid. And people must understand this. We live in the 21st century, the year is 2020, ok the post is since 2019, however is it a very stupid and ''outdated'' subject to be debated, when we got all the technical progress nowadays.
In his OP Swami said:

"I bring up before the topic of bullying. I see another common example that can be fixed."

Which, as an example of bullying, he gives. . .

"Why is it that a religion person starts a discussion that they are then forced to debate with 6 different atheists?"

First of all, no one is forcing anyone to discuss anything. Nor is anyone forced to respond to everyone. If a member doesn't care to respond to another member that's their prerogative.
Secondly, as a debate forum, debating should be expected, shouldn't it? Of course it should, and the number of people, 1 or 20, doesn't change that, and in itself doesn't amount to bullying.

bul·ly1
/ˈbo͝olē/
verb
gerund or present participle: bullying

seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable).

"Is this fair? How would the atheist feel when their topic is attacked by 6 Christians?"

Certainly not being forced to, but then this isn't the situation. As an atheist I'd be delighted to bring up an issue that six Christians felt worth "attacking." I enjoy debating no matter what the odds, and, in fact, have even learned a thing or two from it.

"Atheists should know that attacking someone as a group is nothing more than bullying."

And I suggest he learn the difference between attacking and bullying, AND recognize that just because more than one member presents a challenge doesn't mean that everyone who does are operating as a group.

My suggestion is if Swami, or you, or anyone else dislikes being challenged they might be better off addressing the choir rather than posting on a debate forum.

Just a suggestion of course.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Swami wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:16 pm
How would the atheist feel when their topic is attacked by 6 Christians?
A bit of research uncovered only one thread started by Swami during the time frame of this complaint. Only two atheists interacted with Swami on that thread and neither attacked him.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

Swami wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:16 pm I bring up before the topic of bullying. I see another common example that can be fixed.

Why is it that a religion person starts a discussion that they are then forced to debate with 6 different atheists?

Is this fair? How would the atheist feel when their topic is attacked by 6 Christians?

Atheists should know that attacking someone as a group is nothing more than bullying.
Having more than one person talking with one person isn't always bullying; it all depends on how the one person is TRULY treated, not how they FEEL they are treated.
And the one person is always free not to respond to anyone if they wish.
It seems, based on this particular OP, Christians need to grow much, much thicker skins - good grief!
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Overcomer
Guru

Post #7

Post by Overcomer »

nobspeople wrote:
It seems, based on this particular OP, Christians need to grow much, much thicker skins - good grief!
Swami isn't a Christian. He espoused beliefs akin to Buddhism, Hinduism, and the like.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Purple Knight »

Swami wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:16 pmWhy is it that a religion person starts a discussion that they are then forced to debate with 6 different atheists?
It is unfair. I wish there were more Christians on the forum.

The best I can do is be honest and charitable. And I do. For example, I reject the typical atheist mantra that negative claims are automatically superior to positive ones.

If negative claims automatically win over positive ones, for example, we must assume that anything with an unknown cause was not caused at all and simply is. In other words, we must assume that particular cause does not exist until further evidence is presented. I don't think that holds water.

I also think there is good reason for the religious person to have the benefit of the doubt with regard to the practical merit of their beliefs. A religion that has held up Western society for a thousand years deserves more in this case than, well, nobody proved it, sooo....

Clearly it is doing something right.

I do not, however, think the religious person should get the benefit of the doubt when making moral pronouncements. I don't think (and hopefully you don't think either) that when faced with a Satanist who says, you must sacrifice and eat your baby, it is moral, that an atheist then must do that because he has nothing to even rebut it with. I think from this example, when a religious person says, that is moral, it is obvious that he must provide evidence for that claim.

Now, to be completely fair, Christians can and do get together all the time and share wisdom with others who share their ideology and beliefs. It's called church. Now atheists, we have no hearth, so we're scattered. It follows that we're going to be over-represented in areas where everyone is allowed, because those are the only areas we can go to.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #9

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Yes. I've heard this before. It came up a lot on my previous forum and one could feel for a theist being questioned by multiple opponents.

I sometimes suggested backing off and leaving them with just one (usually the one that was scoring the most hits ;)