Sticky thread for Covid-19 stats

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Sticky thread for Covid-19 stats

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Since the covid-19 pandemic seems to creep into a lot of the conversations here I think that it's fair to create a global sticky thread for it. This thread would serve as the site's primary source for covid-19 facts.

I think this would be necessary because there are a lot of atheists and some theists making wild claims about this virus. Pointing them to read this page before posting about the virus or citing from it should be enough to stop them. If this is not done, I forsee a lot of repeated unsubstantiated claims on this issue.

I've personally been over this issue with several members, including moderators, just to find them posting the same unsubstantiated claims. Ideally, this page should have the facts enumerated so that it is an easy to follow/cite format. It should address the most frequent claims. I mean the alternative is to report people, but I thought this would be a better medium to have first, and then report after that.

What says everybody?

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #2

Post by AgnosticBoy »

We can decide on some common questions or points that tends to come up during debates. One question can be regarding the death rate among the younger population. That question is really my main concern and where I find so many getting it wrong.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Things change so much, who knows what is the truth? Do we really trust the government? Should we believe everything Trump says? The CDC says? CNN? If we do post "facts" about Covid-19, I bet it'll be more debated than accepted.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #4

Post by AgnosticBoy »

otseng wrote: Things change so much, who knows what is the truth? Do we really trust the government? Should we believe everything Trump says? The CDC says? CNN? If we do post "facts" about Covid-19, I bet it'll be more debated than accepted.
Some facts have changed but some have not. I would hope there's little disagreement on the latter type otherwise there is no point in debating at all.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Sticky thread for Covid-19 stats

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

AgnosticBoy wrote:
I think this would be necessary because there are a lot of atheists and some theists making wild claims about this virus.
How would your proposed sticky reign in the occasional agnostic who suggests medically unsound advice to deal with this pandemic?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom