Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Really slow response when logged-in?

Post #1

Post by WeSee »

This is true when clicking on forum links, topic links, logging-in, posting responses, starting new topics, etc. Presumably for everything it takes a couple of minutes to get a response.

When not logged-in, navigating the forum doesn't have those long delays.

The above is true for both Google Chrome and MS Edge.

Do you have a fix?[/quote]

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: Really slow response when logged-in?

Post #21

Post by AgnosticBoy »

WeSee wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:05 pm [Replying to post 1 by WeSee]

This issue persists. The site continues to have extremely long response times when logged-in.

It has now been four days since I first reported it and there has been no response from the site administrator whatsoever.

The site is poorly managed...
Moderation is poorly managed...
There is very little in the way of rational and engaging debate...
No wonder this site has so little posting activity.
Don't take anything on the Internet seriously not even websites that claimed to have a high standard. Been there done that. Best to start your own website if you want something done to your standards

otseng
Savant

Post #22

Post by otseng »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:29 pm Don't take anything on the Internet seriously not even websites that claimed to have a high standard. Been there done that. Best to start your own website if you want something done to your standards
Also, the old forum was running on very old software on an OS that was about to sunset. And with me hacking on it for 16 years, having weird issues was not out of the question.

But, yeah, if anyone wants to complain about this forum, feel free to start your own. That was one of the main reasons I started this originally. Another forum I frequented had software and moderating issues that I didn't like, so being a programmer, I decided to launch my own site.

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by WeSee »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:29 pm
WeSee wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:05 pm [Replying to post 1 by WeSee]

This issue persists. The site continues to have extremely long response times when logged-in.

It has now been four days since I first reported it and there has been no response from the site administrator whatsoever.

The site is poorly managed...
Moderation is poorly managed...
There is very little in the way of rational and engaging debate...
No wonder this site has so little posting activity.
Don't take anything on the Internet seriously not even websites that claimed to have a high standard. Been there done that. Best to start your own website if you want something done to your standards
You seem to have missed the point.

The point is that this site cannot be taken seriously given the issues listed. I don't take this site seriously at all.

If otseng ever decides he wants this site to be taken seriously, then he'll take steps to correct the issues instead of responding like a petulant child like he did in his initial response to me and in his response to you.

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by WeSee »

otseng wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:37 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:29 pm Don't take anything on the Internet seriously not even websites that claimed to have a high standard. Been there done that. Best to start your own website if you want something done to your standards
Also, the old forum was running on very old software on an OS that was about to sunset. And with me hacking on it for 16 years, having weird issues was not out of the question.

But, yeah, if anyone wants to complain about this forum, feel free to start your own. That was one of the main reasons I started this originally. Another forum I frequented had software and moderating issues that I didn't like, so being a programmer, I decided to launch my own site.
lol. If you knew full well that the software was made unsound by your "hacking", why didn't you respond to the OP as such? All you had to say was something like, "Sorry about that. I'm not surprised you're having issues. The software is in pretty sorry shape with all the hacks I've done to it over the years. ". Instead you went with trying to pretend that the issue was likely with my device/setup with your "You're the only one that seems to have a problem with slowness" comment.

If nothing else, you could have saved difflugia from embarrassing himself in his attempts to foist the blame on my device/setup.

Are you actually a professional software developer? If you are, you really should have known better. But then, I've known many a developer who managed to make a career out of it despite having marginally competent skills at best.

BTW, without your hacks gumming up the works, my device/setup now responds just fine whether logged in or not. So the issue was definitely an issue with your site and likely caused by your hacks.
Last edited by WeSee on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #25

Post by AgnosticBoy »

WeSee wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:24 pm

lol. If you knew full well that the software was made unsound by your "hacking", why didn't you respond to the OP as such? All you had to say was something like, "Sorry about that. I'm not surprised you're having issues. The software is in pretty sorry shape with all the hacks I've done to it over the years. ". Instead you went with trying to pretend that the issue was likely with my device/setup with your "You're the only one that seems to have a problem with slowness" comment.

If nothing else, you could have save difflugia from embarrassing himself in his attempts to foist the blame on my device/setup.

Are you actually a professional software developer? If you are, you really should have known better. But then, I've known many a developer who managed to make a career out of it despite having marginally competent skills at best.

BTW, without your hacks gumming up the works, my device/setup now responds just fine whether logged in or not. So the issue was definitely an issue with your site and likely caused by your hacks.
Hey I agree that people should be treated professionally no matter what, and unfortunately you were treated less than that. I think otseng took that and improved his dealing with you to some degree. In my case, I felt there was a dismissive tone.

But trust me it's best to start your own website, don't spend too much time and energy in posting. Personally, I have the resources to start my own website, . If or when I do start it, you can bet I will have a big focus on weeding out unproven assertions and dishonest tactics. In comparison, Rule #5 on this site receives little to no enforcement.

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by WeSee »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:57 pm
WeSee wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:24 pm

If nothing else, you could have save difflugia from embarrassing himself in his attempts to foist the blame on my device/setup.

Hey I agree that people should be treated professionally no matter what, and unfortunately you were treated less than that. I think otseng took that and improved his dealing with you to some degree. In my case, I felt there was a dismissive tone.

But trust me it's best to start your own website, don't spend too much time and energy in posting. Personally, I have the resources to start my own website, . If or when I do start it, you can bet I will have a big focus on weeding out unproven assertions and dishonest tactics. In comparison, Rule #5 on this site receives little to no enforcement.
If or when I do start it, you can bet I will have a big focus on weeding out unproven assertions and dishonest tactics. In comparison, Rule #5 on this site receives little to no enforcement.

In the past that is an issue I'd broached with otseng as well to no avail. As a consequence there is very little in the way of rational and engaging debate.

One unwritten rule that's nonsensical is "Don't tell other posters what to do". I got this after suggesting that someone reread my post.

Another nonsensical rule is applying rule #1 not only to other posters, but to political figures as well. You're not allowed to make a comment that is "negative, condescending, … or indicate in any way a lack of respect" about a political figure? When you have a "Politics and Religion" forum? Seriously?