Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Really slow response when logged-in?

Post #1

Post by WeSee »

This is true when clicking on forum links, topic links, logging-in, posting responses, starting new topics, etc. Presumably for everything it takes a couple of minutes to get a response.

When not logged-in, navigating the forum doesn't have those long delays.

The above is true for both Google Chrome and MS Edge.

Do you have a fix?[/quote]

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Re: Really slow response when logged-in?

Post #2

Post by WeSee »

[Replying to post 1 by WeSee]

This issue persists. The site continues to have extremely long response times when logged-in.

It has now been four days since I first reported it and there has been no response from the site administrator whatsoever.

The site is poorly managed...
Moderation is poorly managed...
There is very little in the way of rational and engaging debate...
No wonder this site has so little posting activity.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

If it's so bad, why are you so eager to participate here? You're the only one that seems to have a problem with slowness.

And note that I personally fund practically the entire cost of this forum out of my own pocket. Though we do have a few site supporters, it only offsets a portion of the $120 per month hosting fee. So, unless you are helping to pay for this, you really have nothing to complain about.

But, it is time to upgrade some software for the forum. So, I'm currently in the process of upgrading.

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by WeSee »

[Replying to post 3 by otseng]

I guess I'll take your response to mean that you haven't a clue as to what might be happening here and what's more don't give a ….

And note that I personally fund practically the entire cost of this forum out of my own pocket. Though we do have a few site supporters, it only offsets a portion of the $120 per month hosting fee.
Has it not occurred to you that if you were responsive to users who raise technical issues and provided well-managed moderation that resulted in rational and engaging debate (rather than just claiming it), there would probably be more users - including more site supporters?

You're the only one that seems to have a problem with slowness.
Just because I'm the only one you know of who has raised it as in issue, doesn't mean that there aren't others. Perhaps even others who have left the site because of this on top of other issues with this site of which I listed a few examples in my previous post.

BTW your response to me hardly screams "well-managed and professionally run site".

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

WeSee wrote: Just because I'm the only one you know of who has raised it as in issue, doesn't mean that there aren't others.
OK, if you're curious about it, anybody else having issues with slow response when logged in?

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

otseng wrote:
WeSee wrote: Just because I'm the only one you know of who has raised it as in issue, doesn't mean that there aren't others.
OK, if you're curious about it, anybody else having issues with slow response when logged in?
None that aren't related to my aging laptop. This site responds faster than other privately funded websites I visit. Much faster than any commercial site.

Additionally, I don't notice any performance difference between when I am logged in or logged out.

Tcg

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 5 by otseng]

No, my 2 active log ins are working well! You're doing great, Otseng! :D

:study: :D 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by WeSee »

[Replying to otseng]

That's all you got out of what I wrote? What's more, it wasn't even the point...

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by WeSee »

[Replying to post 6 by Tcg]

None of the other sites I visit have this issue. The vast majority respond within a couple of seconds. No others take minutes as it does when I'm logged into this site. No others come even close.

Maybe the trick is to have an "aging laptop"...

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Difflugia »

[Replying to post 9 by WeSee]

Whatever the problem is, I don't think it's likely to be something on otseng's end. I have no problem with multiple devices connecting through multiple service providers.

You haven't offered much to go on, but the most likely culprits are your browser, your computer/device, a wifi router's firewall, and your ISP in that order.

If you are interested in trying to troubleshoot, try these:
  • Connect with a different computer or device on the same network.
  • Connect using a different ISP (if you're using wifi, switch to a cellphone's cell network, for example).
  • If you're comfortable changing network settings, change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (Google's public DNS server).
The only thing I can think of that might be on otseng's end is that you might have an uncommon combination of user settings that are triggering a bug in the server software. If the other stuff fails, try creating a brand-new account with completely default settings and see if that changes anything.