Thoughts on forum changes

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Thoughts on forum changes

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Here's a PM exchange I've had with Zzyzx that I want to share. I think many on the forum might also be interested...
otseng wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Have you received indication that members and moderators dislike the new format? I am trying to withhold judgment, but am leaning negative after a week of use. It is not a matter of resistance to change (which typically troubles me very little).
No, nobody has complained to me yet, but I can understand the sentiment. I've spent years customizing the former forum to what I wanted and now I have to start all over. I don't think anyone is more frustrated and disappointed than me that we're losing a lot of the former functionality.

The problem is the forum software and the OS is obsolete. It's been running on the same software for over 16 years, which in itself is pretty amazing. But, now I'm not able to run the latest software. I was using an older version of PHP and the latest version of PHP doesn't support the old forum.

There's pretty much no choice but to upgrade. By the end of the year, the old OS (CentOS 6) won't be supported anyways. Over the next several years, I'll be modifying the forum, but it will take patience as I do this. And just when I get it to how I would like it, I'll probably have to start all over again.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Thoughts on forum changes

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

otseng wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:55 pm I've spent years customizing the former forum to what I wanted and now I have to start all over.
WOW, sixteen years of work down the tube. Condolences.

Would some financial help be in order?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

VVilliam
Student

Post #3

Post by VVilliam »

The idea is to gracefully accept changes as they happen. I had the problem of not being able to sign in and with getting that message to the admin - after my third attempt at emailing my problem I decided to be proactive and simply start anew.

The changes themselves are in step with the world situation and we find ourselves having to adapt as necessary. The important functions are available anyway, so it does not matter that the old format has given way to the new.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Zzyzx wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:24 pm Would some financial help be in order?
I appreciate the offer, but I'm able to sustain forum operations for now. Also, the barrier to improving the forum is not financial, but the time and effort to make mods to the forum. I'd rather not program it myself, but unfortunately, phpbb 3.3 is relatively new so there are not a lot of mods for it right now. So, I'll probably have to eventually end up programming the things that I want.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

VVilliam wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:31 pm The idea is to gracefully accept changes as they happen. I had the problem of not being able to sign in and with getting that message to the admin - after my third attempt at emailing my problem I decided to be proactive and simply start anew.

The changes themselves are in step with the world situation and we find ourselves having to adapt as necessary. The important functions are available anyway, so it does not matter that the old format has given way to the new.
No wonder your username looks a little off... if you want, I can reset your old password via PM.

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

VVilliam wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:31 pm The idea is to gracefully accept changes as they happen. I had the problem of not being able to sign in and with getting that message to the admin - after my third attempt at emailing my problem I decided to be proactive and simply start anew.
I figured out why I was not getting the emails. I think I've now fixed the problem.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Quantrill »

@otseng

I am new here. But there are two things I find incredibly frustrating.

1.) Individual posts are not numbered. Many times on a forum I will relate to certain posts made. It is almost impossible if there is no numbering system to them.

2.) The quote function. It lists every quote made in the quote you are quoting. It overlaps so much that it is difficult to follow. It would be less confusing if just the immediate quote was given.

Quantrill

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

I suspect a number of users are not able to login. A few recent new accounts have ID's that resemble those of regular posters. In addition, there are a number of posters who post every few days who haven't posted at all in the last week. I had trouble resetting my password perhaps due to my yahoo email address.

Are there specific steps we can recommend for those who still may be having trouble logging in?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I have no problem with the new format (miss the thumbs up feature). It was a real nightmare to log on and as has been said I think many members may have given up in the changeover.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

otseng
Savant

Post #10

Post by otseng »

Quantrill wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:14 pm 1.) Individual posts are not numbered. Many times on a forum I will relate to certain posts made. It is almost impossible if there is no numbering system to them.
Yeah, I agree. I tried adding the post numbering mod, but unfortunately it did not work.
2.) The quote function. It lists every quote made in the quote you are quoting. It overlaps so much that it is difficult to follow. It would be less confusing if just the immediate quote was given.
You'll need to edit out the parts that you don't want to include.