Thoughts on forum changes

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Thoughts on forum changes

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Here's a PM exchange I've had with Zzyzx that I want to share. I think many on the forum might also be interested...
otseng wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Have you received indication that members and moderators dislike the new format? I am trying to withhold judgment, but am leaning negative after a week of use. It is not a matter of resistance to change (which typically troubles me very little).
No, nobody has complained to me yet, but I can understand the sentiment. I've spent years customizing the former forum to what I wanted and now I have to start all over. I don't think anyone is more frustrated and disappointed than me that we're losing a lot of the former functionality.

The problem is the forum software and the OS is obsolete. It's been running on the same software for over 16 years, which in itself is pretty amazing. But, now I'm not able to run the latest software. I was using an older version of PHP and the latest version of PHP doesn't support the old forum.

There's pretty much no choice but to upgrade. By the end of the year, the old OS (CentOS 6) won't be supported anyways. Over the next several years, I'll be modifying the forum, but it will take patience as I do this. And just when I get it to how I would like it, I'll probably have to start all over again.

tam
Savant

Re: Thoughts on forum changes

Post #41

Post by tam »

otseng wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:12 pm
tam wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:09 pm That doesn't show up for me, Otseng. I tried logging out and logging back in as well. Maybe a different style? I am using the we_universal.
Give it a try now. I had to manually activate the permission for every forum. If there's any forum that is not able to like, let me know.
Yep its there, thanks Otseng!

otseng
Savant

Post #42

Post by otseng »

Quantrill wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:14 pm 1.) Individual posts are not numbered. Many times on a forum I will relate to certain posts made. It is almost impossible if there is no numbering system to them.
I've now added post numbers.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by Quantrill »

otseng wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:23 pm
I've now added post numbers.
I appreciate that.

Quantrill

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #44

Post by AgnosticBoy »

marco wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:45 am The new format is a foreign language that defeats any linguistic skills I think I had. I was battling with the idea of leaving the forum some months ago, but the warmth here was too alluring, what with JW's pleasant sarcasm, Mithrae's free lessons for me and William's advice on how to write .... all lovely. I enjoyed the communication and the pleasant familiarity. We have lost the record of the number of posts we have made, which is a sadness; and we no longer see that people once liked what we said. The past is a foreign country but at least I spoke its language. I accept that change was perhaps forced on us but stumbling about in a haunted midnight forest looking for this forum or that, unable to see what misdemeanour has been reported and relying on the blessings of chance to hit on something one wants is not for Marco. So a fond farewell.

This is undoubtedly the best forum I have ever visited, run by a super-efficient and super-fair gentleman. Of course i have sadness in leaving, but there are many other reasons for my departure: the format change just supplied the nudge I needed. I wish everyone a long and happy stay, with posts inspired either by the Holy Spirit or just the warm winds of chance. Marco belongs to the past, I'm afraid, and with that I say farewell to this lovely forum.

Best wishes. MARCO
We appreciate your honesty. The forum stands out only because of its rules on civility, and nothing more. Knowing that it's good for nothing else should let people know how serious to take this site when it comes to actual debate.

Tcg
Savant

Post #45

Post by Tcg »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:04 am
We appreciate your honesty. The forum stands out only because of its rules on civility, and nothing more. Knowing that it's good for nothing else should let people know how serious to take this site when it comes to actual debate.
Otseng provides a civil forum which is not an easy task. It is up to those of us who post on it to provide compelling debate. If you consider the quality of debate to be lacking, perhaps you should seek to resolve this perceived issue by providing better quality debate.

If you can't do so you can turn to sites that expect little more than constant insult. You may find yourself more at home there.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #46

Post by Wootah »

marco wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:45 am The new format is a foreign language that defeats any linguistic skills I think I had. I was battling with the idea of leaving the forum some months ago, but the warmth here was too alluring, what with JW's pleasant sarcasm, Mithrae's free lessons for me and William's advice on how to write .... all lovely. I enjoyed the communication and the pleasant familiarity. We have lost the record of the number of posts we have made, which is a sadness; and we no longer see that people once liked what we said. The past is a foreign country but at least I spoke its language. I accept that change was perhaps forced on us but stumbling about in a haunted midnight forest looking for this forum or that, unable to see what misdemeanour has been reported and relying on the blessings of chance to hit on something one wants is not for Marco. So a fond farewell.

This is undoubtedly the best forum I have ever visited, run by a super-efficient and super-fair gentleman. Of course i have sadness in leaving, but there are many other reasons for my departure: the format change just supplied the nudge I needed. I wish everyone a long and happy stay, with posts inspired either by the Holy Spirit or just the warm winds of chance. Marco belongs to the past, I'm afraid, and with that I say farewell to this lovely forum.

Best wishes. MARCO
So you are against the update? Gotta admit I know first hand that decisions get made without consultation.

The forum is better/cleaner. The notifications option alone is worth all my MPG coins in payment.

I will miss you. I struggled to stay recently, of course, hopefully you will be back as well.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #47

Post by Wootah »

otseng wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:55 pm Here's a PM exchange I've had with Zzyzx that I want to share. I think many on the forum might also be interested...
otseng wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Have you received indication that members and moderators dislike the new format? I am trying to withhold judgment, but am leaning negative after a week of use. It is not a matter of resistance to change (which typically troubles me very little).
No, nobody has complained to me yet, but I can understand the sentiment. I've spent years customizing the former forum to what I wanted and now I have to start all over. I don't think anyone is more frustrated and disappointed than me that we're losing a lot of the former functionality.

The problem is the forum software and the OS is obsolete. It's been running on the same software for over 16 years, which in itself is pretty amazing. But, now I'm not able to run the latest software. I was using an older version of PHP and the latest version of PHP doesn't support the old forum.

There's pretty much no choice but to upgrade. By the end of the year, the old OS (CentOS 6) won't be supported anyways. Over the next several years, I'll be modifying the forum, but it will take patience as I do this. And just when I get it to how I would like it, I'll probably have to start all over again.
Everyone appreciates your work Otseng but some change management and an announcement might have been nice (of course I can miss the most obvious signs and maybe you did post something). As you can imagine I am not checking the forum diligently atm. But still hanging in there.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

otseng
Savant

Post #48

Post by otseng »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:57 am
Everyone appreciates your work Otseng but some change management and an announcement might have been nice (of course I can miss the most obvious signs and maybe you did post something).
I made an announcement on May 17:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37326

I also made a separate announcement to the mods.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #49

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Tcg wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:19 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:04 am
Otseng provides a civil forum which is not an easy task. It is up to those of us who post on it to provide compelling debate. If you consider the quality of debate to be lacking, perhaps you should seek to resolve this perceived issue by providing better quality debate.

If you can't do so you can turn to sites that expect little more than constant insult. You may find yourself more at home there.

Tcg
What you're saying is all true but I might suggest that the advertisement for the website be changed to say what you just said. No one is obligated to provide compelling debate and they can do that just as long as they are "civil".

Wootah
Savant

Post #50

Post by Wootah »

otseng wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:44 am
Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:57 am
Everyone appreciates your work Otseng but some change management and an announcement might have been nice (of course I can miss the most obvious signs and maybe you did post something).
I made an announcement on May 17:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37326

I also made a separate announcement to the mods.
I'm like Saint Paul I need a personal intervention and bright lights. I like the site and like the notifications the best!
Good work.