How to report rule #5 violation

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

How to report rule #5 violation

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

I am wondering if there is some special way to report rule 5 violations. I reported someone a few days ago but nothing has been done about it. I'm assuming I'm missing something, if so, I'd like to know what. Thanks.

otseng
Savant

Re: How to report rule #5 violation

Post #2

Post by otseng »

I cleared it. All you can do is present your evidence. If someone else is not convinced by it, then it's their prerogative. Just continue on and present additional arguments and evidence.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #3

Post by AgnosticBoy »

otseng wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:57 pm I cleared it. All you can do is present your evidence. If someone else is not convinced by it, then it's their prerogative. Just continue on and present additional arguments and evidence.
I know that the objective here is not to convince anyone. But the unconvinced person still has an obligation to not continue making claims unless it is an evidence-based counterargument.

For example, I can say I believe God exists . Someone offers evidence against God's existence. So all I gotta do is say I'm unconvinced and that gives me license to ignore the other person's evidence and to continue claiming God exists? This is what could happen when you don't require evidence for every claim in a debate.

There is no point in offering a counter argument if the person can just ignore it and not factor it into their next reply.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:39 pm
otseng wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:57 pm There is no point in offering a counter argument if the person can just ignore it and not factor it into their next reply.
If you believe someone is just ignoring your arguments, it's best to just move on.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #5

Post by AgnosticBoy »

otseng wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:04 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:39 pm
otseng wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:57 pm There is no point in offering a counter argument if the person can just ignore it and not factor it into their next reply.
If you believe someone is just ignoring your arguments, it's best to just move on.
Got it. I will try to figure my way around with this in mind.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #6

Post by AgnosticBoy »

here's what I posted elsewhere regarding rule number 5 and the moderator withdrawal procedure...

[Replying to nygreenguy in post #1]
The problem is not that no evidence is being offered but instead it is that rebutted evidence is being offered. Now if you don't have enough staff or the time it would require to address this then that should be made known.

Example...

1st exchange...
- I make a claim A and support it with evidence x
- a member rebuts evidence x

2nd exchange...
I make claim A again and still use evidence x.

This is where the problem starts. if the first person that made the claim has their evidence rebutted then they should not be using the same evidence. They should offer other evidence and/or explain how that evidence is still valid given the rebuttal. This is "engaging" debate. However that doesn't happen on this site.

Instead what we find on this site is that even rebutted points or evidence can be reused.