Free Form General Debate

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Free Form General Debate

Post #1

Post by DavidLeon »

Would it be possible to add a forum or sub forum (I'm not sure how you refer to it) for general debate (The Bible, Religion, Conspiracy Theory or anything you want to debate) with no rules or structure? ETA: of course I mean an absence of debate rules not of forum rules.
I no longer post here

otseng
Savant

Re: Free Form General Debate

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Can you give an example of what you'd like to see?

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by DavidLeon »

otseng wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:08 am Can you give an example of what you'd like to see?
You mean another forum where that sort of thing is practiced? The Skeptic's Annotated Bible General forum. None of their forums have any rules to speak of, at least as far as debate goes. You just bring up a topic and debate it. You can use your opinion, or the Bible or Science, or Sponge Bob Square Pants or none of the above.

What it amounts to is that the debate is about the topic rather than the debate itself. You can call it informal, or just discussion or hashing it out.
I no longer post here

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

[Replying to DavidLeon in post #3]

I guess what I'm asking for is clarification on debating without debate rules. Technically, we don't have any debate rules on the forum. We do have forum rules, but there's no mandated procedure on how debating should take place. Besides being civil, we only have general things like - support with evidence, stay on topic, no one-liners. In some subforums, like head-to-head and book debate, it follows some procedures, but all other debate subforums have little restrictions.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by DavidLeon »

otseng wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:17 pm [Replying to DavidLeon in post #3]

I guess what I'm asking for is clarification on debating without debate rules. Technically, we don't have any debate rules on the forum. We do have forum rules, but there's no mandated procedure on how debating should take place. Besides being civil, we only have general things like - support with evidence, stay on topic, no one-liners. In some subforums, like head-to-head and book debate, it follows some procedures, but all other debate subforums have little restrictions.
I think it might be me. Maybe I've gotten stubborn and lazy in my old age. I should just try and acclimate myself. What I meant was not concerning myself so much with being civil, staying on topic and one liners. And as for evidence, to me posting what someone else said to confirm what I said was the responsibility of the one arguing and if they couldn't find it posting the evidence against.
I no longer post here

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

DavidLeon wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:03 pm What I meant was not concerning myself so much with being civil, staying on topic and one liners. And as for evidence, to me posting what someone else said to confirm what I said was the responsibility of the one arguing and if they couldn't find it posting the evidence against.
Civility will always apply to the entire forum.

As for staying on topic, one-liners, and providing evidence, they do not apply to the Discussion subforums.