Is it racist to post about race here?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Is it racist to post about race here?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

A moderator told me to not bring up race. In another post he insinuated that it is racism to bring up race. Why was I warned about this?

Is that the policy of this forum?
Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:08 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:39 pmSure, how about no kids outside of wedlock? I think that is very good advice given our pandemic of children being raised with little to no real family support, especially in African-American communities.
We can do without racial comments.
Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:36 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:24 am Hopefully you're not trying to censor that fact.
If racism gets out of hand it will be handled. The Admin / Moderator Team is aware.
Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:36 am Of course, when trying to make a failed point in debate, why not fan the flames of racism.

otseng
Savant

Re: Is it racist to post about race here?

Post #2

Post by otseng »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:02 am A moderator told me to not bring up race. In another post he insinuated that it is racism to bring up race. Why was I warned about this?

Is that the policy of this forum?
It was not a moderator warning. Official moderator warnings will come via the phpBB warning system through a PM.

Yes, people can talk about race. We even have an entire forum to discuss this:
viewforum.php?f=93

I'll add that talking about race is a highly charged topic. Now, it's perhaps the most volatile topic in the country. A small thing that is said can lead to explosions. But, somehow we need to have open and honest discussions about race. I ask everyone, including myself, to be willing to listen, even if it's a view contrary to your own. You don't need to agree with it, but be willing to listen.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:02 am A moderator told me to not bring up race. In another post he insinuated that it is racism to bring up race. Why was I warned about this?
Correction: The member actually said (verbatim quote), “We can do without racial comments”

A thread asking the following questions for debate is decidedly NOT an appropriate place for racist comments.
Zzyzx wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:44 pm Does the Bible provide information that is useful and applicable in modern life?

1. What, if any, information or guidance provided by the New Testament is useful and applicable in modern life and modern decisions?

2. What, if any, information or guidance provided by the Old Testament is useful and applicable in modern life and modern decisions?

3. Is any currently useful information provided by NT / OT original or unique to the Bible (not common in other cultures and ideologies)?

It would have been prudent to stay on the topic of debate rather than derailing the thread with racial comments -- and air racial views in the appropriate sub-forum.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #4

Post by AgnosticBoy »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #3]

The issue has already been settled. I have accepted otseng's public apology (one that you should've made but he took the heat for you). It's best to leave it at that.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:40 pm The issue has already been settled. I have accepted otseng's public apology (one that you should've made but he took the heat for you). It's best to leave it at that.
There was no public apology -- and not the slightest reason for one.

Otseng stated that you had NOT been warned as you claimed.

I do NOT issue Warnings to debate opponents but MAY report infringements so any Moderator can respond as they see fit. Often, however, it is more appropriate to let people hang themselves -- typically by being uncivil.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

koko

Post #6

Post by koko »

It is not racist to post about race on this forum. The problem is, why so many threads on the same topic? Also, why the continued unsubstantiated assertions that are repeated in these seemingly endless threads?

Examples: "BLM creates violence". "NAACP is racist". "Antifa stages violence during racial protest".

No substantiation whatsoever. Not a shred of evidence made in these endlessly repeated assertions. All this is trolling that wastes time and space on this forum. I believe it would help if the forum admin put a stop to these needless and worthless repititions.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #7

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:27 pm It is not racist to post about race on this forum. The problem is, why so many threads on the same topic? Also, why the continued unsubstantiated assertions that are repeated in these seemingly endless threads?

Examples: "BLM creates violence". "NAACP is racist". "Antifa stages violence during racial protest".

No substantiation whatsoever. Not a shred of evidence made in these endlessly repeated assertions. All this is trolling that wastes time and space on this forum. I believe it would help if the forum admin put a stop to these needless and worthless repititions.
Translation: Delete whatever I (Koko) disagrees with while allowing Koko to repeat his unsubstantiated LIBERAL claims.

See how easy it is to expose your tactics and agenda? Nothing different than what politicians try to do.

Most importantly, do you think the conservative moderators here would fall for your politically-driven standards? :D

koko

Post #8

Post by koko »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:02 pm
Translation: Delete whatever I (Koko) disagrees with while allowing Koko to repeat his unsubstantiated LIBERAL claims.
See how easy it is to expose your tactics and agenda? Nothing different than what politicians try to do.
Most importantly, do you think the conservative moderators here would fall for your politically-driven standards? :D

As anyone and everyone can readily see, I substantiate my views with links (including Fox) unlike you.

What is also evident is that you are intent on always having the last word on every topic. You get easily defeated in a thread, then you start another thread on the same subject and repeat the same unsubstantiated claims that were debunked before.

Oh well, I guess if this is what the admin wants to tolerate, then so be it. I'll unsubscribe from this thread so you may take the last word

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #9

Post by AgnosticBoy »

koko wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:32 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:02 pm

As anyone and everyone can readily see, I substantiate my views with links (including Fox) unlike you.

What is also evident is that you are intent on always having the last word on every topic. You get easily defeated in a thread, then you start another thread on the same subject and repeat the same unsubstantiated claims that were debunked before.

Oh well, I guess if this is what the admin wants to tolerate, then so be it. I'll unsubscribe from this thread so you may take the last word
Look, otseng has spoken. I was given an apology while Zzyzx was pretty much counselled. This is all that matters here.

If you don't like it then I recommend you go start your own forum. I'm a proud co-owner of a forum (still under development).

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:03 am
I'm a proud co-owner of a forum (still under development).
Isn't that exciting! What is your post count at this point?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom