Resolved: this is a question for debate

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Diagoras
Guru

Resolved: this is a question for debate

Post #1

Post by Diagoras »

I've noticed a couple of new posters here starting a topic in the debate forums that begin with "Resolved: that (such and such)..." and gets moved to Random Ramblings. The reason given is that "there needs to be a question for debate".

As I understand things, in a formal or competitive debate, this is actually the accepted way to state the topic for debate. The 'pro' (or 'affirmative') side states the resolution that they will defend, while their opponent(s) provide argument to show why the statement is false.

As an example:

Resolved: the snake in Genesis is Satan

The above can simply be read as a shorthand for: "I believe the snake in Genesis is Satan, and will prove it. I invite those who disagree to prove otherwise."

However:

Is the snake in Genesis, Satan?

does more or less the same job, but it doesn't make it clear what the position of the OP actually is.

I suggest that moderators consider simply editing such 'resolved' post titles (with permission) rather than moving what could possibly be promising threads. Either that, or possibly add the 'Resolved:' OP format to the rules as an accepted form, along with an explanation.

Diagoras
Guru

Re: Resolved: this is a question for debate

Post #2

Post by Diagoras »

Some examples of how formal debate might frame a topic can be found here:

https://www.comm.pitt.edu/basic-definitions

otseng
Savant

Re: Resolved: this is a question for debate

Post #3

Post by otseng »

A general principle for moderators is to not edit posts unless absolutely necessary (like editing out personal information). There are several reasons for this. One is I hate it when a mod edits my post, esp without my permission. Another reason is trying to minimize the time spent by moderators to handle violations. And the third reason is posters should learn to follow the rules and not depend on moderators to make things correct.