Suggestions and improvements

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Suggestions and improvements

Post #1

Post by otseng »

If you see any problems with this forum or have any suggestions on how to improve it, feel free to share it. If you have any complaints about it, feel free to go post them here.
Last edited by otseng on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otseng
Savant

Post #11

Post by otseng »

Corvus wrote:I was wondering if we could have an award system similar to America's Debate. Members can vote on who their favourite debater is, what their favourite topic is, who they'd most like to meet in real life, etc, thus encouraging thoughtful and involved participation.
Certainly. How do they decide what/who makes it into the polls?

Quarkhead
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by Quarkhead »

otseng wrote:
Corvus wrote:I was wondering if we could have an award system similar to America's Debate. Members can vote on who their favourite debater is, what their favourite topic is, who they'd most like to meet in real life, etc, thus encouraging thoughtful and involved participation.
Certainly. How do they decide what/who makes it into the polls?
We set up a forum where people can post nominations for a set period of time. Then, that forum is closed, and replaced with one where everyone can vote on the posts, topics, or members nominated.

otseng
Savant

Post #13

Post by otseng »

Quarkhead wrote: We set up a forum where people can post nominations for a set period of time. Then, that forum is closed, and replaced with one where everyone can vote on the posts, topics, or members nominated.
OK, let's do it. I have no qualms on imitating AD. :P

Any suggestions on things to vote for?

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by ST88 »

otseng wrote:
Quarkhead wrote: We set up a forum where people can post nominations for a set period of time. Then, that forum is closed, and replaced with one where everyone can vote on the posts, topics, or members nominated.
OK, let's do it. I have no qualms on imitating AD. :P

Any suggestions on things to vote for?
I'm all for following AD's example with various categories in various topics. & every once in a while a special award (like best recipe or some such).

Illyricum
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by Illyricum »

otseng wrote:Any suggestions on things to vote for?
Well, Corvus already suggested a few things: favorite debater, favorite topic, and who they'd most like to meet in real life. A few other things I'd suggest: Favorite thread, the best signature, and favorite avatar.
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

otseng
Savant

Post #16

Post by otseng »

I've created a thread to keep track of award categories. All new award category suggestions should go there.

concerro
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by concerro »

Is the creator of this site also the creator of Ilovephilosophy.com?

otseng
Savant

Post #18

Post by otseng »

concerro wrote:Is the creator of this site also the creator of Ilovephilosophy.com?
No.

Looking briefly through their site, it seems like they value civility and reason also. We use the same forum software, phpbb, though I've added numerous modifications to this site and they use it out of the box.

Even though I'm a member of enough forums, I think I'll sign up with them. :)

concerro
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by concerro »

otseng wrote:
concerro wrote:Is the creator of this site also the creator of Ilovephilosophy.com?
No.

Looking briefly through their site, it seems like they value civility and reason also. We use the same forum software, phpbb, though I've added numerous modifications to this site and they use it out of the box.

Even though I'm a member of enough forums, I think I'll sign up with them. :)
I found other sites that resemble this one but it is to hard to keep up with all my debates. How does someone get forum software. Did you pay someone to make the site and then you just take care of maintenance?

otseng
Savant

Post #20

Post by otseng »

concerro wrote:How does someone get forum software.
I created a thread to explain where to get the software - Technical information on how this site was created.
Did you pay someone to make the site and then you just take care of maintenance?
I created the site by myself. I implemented all the mods, though I didn't have to actually write the mods. There are tons of mods available on the Internet. And of course, I do all the maintanence too... and the admining, marketing, as well as answering some of the questions posted here. :o :)