What do you think about having advertisements on this site?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Should this site have ads?

Yes
64%
No
18%
No opinion
18%

Total votes: 11

otseng
Savant

What do you think about having advertisements on this site?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Basically, all the finances to run this site has come out of my own pocket. There has been two people so far who has donated, but their combined total doesn't even cover for the expenses for half a month.

The majority of expenses right now is in marketing via Google ads. I have found out that if I do not buy Google ads, little traffic will come to this site. Though I have no hard numbers, my guess is that most people find out about this forum through either a Google search or a Google ad. Google pricing allows me to specify how much money I am willing to pay per month for ads. Right now, I'm spending $60 per month on Google ads. Web hosting costs is actually much less than that per month. So, combined total costs is about $80 per month.

Though I have the means to cover this cost out of my own pocket, realistically, I need to find other sources of funding.

One such idea is to place ads on this site.

I was thinking about having ads show up for people who are not Site Supporters. For those who have donated, no ads will show up. Of course, I've got to first figure out how to program this.

I've got some other ideas on how to generate financial support, but the first one I'm considering is placing ads on the site. I was thinking of having a single Google banner on the bottom of each page. And perhaps some other paid ad blocks on a single line below that.

So, what do you think about having advertisements on this site?
Last edited by otseng on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Piper Plexed »

:D LOL I will just go ahead a throw a programing wing nut into your plan LOL

Ahh Ads don't bother me LOL even If I give you money I wouldn't mind an Ad at the bottom of my screen :shock: soooo maybe the supporter can be given ad options in their preferences. The more people that look at your ads and click the more return Ad business ya get, I suspect (?) so I may click once and awhile too. Well just a thought. :D
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

concerro
Apprentice

Re: What do you think about having advertisements on this si

Post #3

Post by concerro »

Use google adsense. it pays you when someone goes to another site through your site and try to exchange links with other debate site owners that way if one of you gains a customer then you all gain a customer.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ST88 »

I think America's Debate is going through the same sort of thing. I noticed in their current redesign that they are offering options as to where the ads will be located.

For myself, I would not be too annoyed by ads on the site that it would make a difference in how often I come here or how much I participate. In some ways, it might tend to show how much the site has progressed into a viable institution. Others might have a different view of this.

Illyricum
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Illyricum »

Well, I voted no at first but that was before I read the message. I don't really like ads because I find them quite bothersome, but I understand that you, Otseng, don't want to pay everything from your own pocket. Therefore, I will be willing to put up with the ads for that sake.
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

I have added Google Adsense ads to the site.