A strange tale

If you have problems registering or logging in, post here

Moderator: Moderators

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

A strange tale

Post #1

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

I tried to change my password earlier today. I thought it had worked but when I tried to log in with the new password it was rejected. Thinking I did not type what I thought I typed for the new password,I clicked the 'forgot my password' link. I got an email with a verification link and a new password in it. I clicked on the link and it said I was verified. Then I tried to log in with the provided password. No dice. I tried to log in with the password I thought I had changed to. Nope. On a lark I tried my original password. I got in!

I am now leery of trying to change my password. I am also concerned with what would happen if I really forgot my password. I would never get in!

Do cookies have anything to do with it? I do not check the box that remembers who you are. But if I close the browser and go to the site again in a short timeframe I discover that I am already logged in. Am I going to have a password problem when I go home tonight try to log in there?

One more thing. At one point I went to the Registration and Login sub-forum without logging in and tried to create a post. Can't do it without being registered or logged in! How does one report a problem that one must solve on one's own before being able to report the problem? :confused2:
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

There is probably a problem with the password reset function. Several others have also been experiencing problems. I'll see if I can fix it.

As for anonymous posting from this subforum, it has been disabled. Some people were abusing the system by posting spam on the forum. If you need to contact me when you are completely locked out, see here.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

otseng wrote:There is probably a problem with the password reset function. Several others have also been experiencing problems. I'll see if I can fix it.

As for anonymous posting from this subforum, it has been disabled. Some people were abusing the system by posting spam on the forum. If you need to contact me when you are completely locked out, see here.
Thank you.

I am able to get on at home as well with my old password, so everything is cool at the moment.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

otseng wrote:There is probably a problem with the password reset function. Several others have also been experiencing problems. I'll see if I can fix it.

After having successfully used my old password here at home, I suddenly need the one provided in the email to get back on. Password roulettte. :confused2:
- Bertrand Russell

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

ThatGirlAgain wrote: After having successfully used my old password here at home, I suddenly need the one provided in the email to get back on. Password roulettte. :confused2:
OK, I think I've fixed everything now. Try to request a new password and also try changing the password. If it doesn't work, send me a message.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

otseng wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote: After having successfully used my old password here at home, I suddenly need the one provided in the email to get back on. Password roulettte. :confused2:
OK, I think I've fixed everything now. Try to request a new password and also try changing the password. If it doesn't work, send me a message.
I changed my password with no trouble. Then I requested new password vi "I forgot ny password". Tha also worked. But then I tried changing my password again and got this:
Security Alert >> >> >> >>

CBACK CrackerTracker has detected a potential attack on this site with a
worm or exploit script so the security System stopped the script.

If you can see this page after including a new MOD into your board or after
clicking on a link please contact the Board Administrator with this error
message and a description of what you have done before you could see this
page, that the Admin has the possibility to fix the problem.
(BTW this sounds like a translation from another language.)

So now I am stuck (temporarily I hope) with a klutzy password. :(
- Bertrand Russell

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

Made some more changes. Please try again.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

otseng wrote:Made some more changes. Please try again.
Same result as in quote box above when I try to change my password.
- Bertrand Russell

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

Sorry for making you have to test these changes. The error simply stops at the first error and won't tell me the rest of the problems. So, each error needs to be fixed one at a time.

Please try again. (After all the issues are solved, I'll give you a donation for all your assistance.)

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

otseng wrote:Sorry for making you have to test these changes. The error simply stops at the first error and won't tell me the rest of the problems. So, each error needs to be fixed one at a time.

Please try again. (After all the issues are solved, I'll give you a donation for all your assistance.)
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I did not realize you had replied so soon.

Everything works! Forgot my password works and changing the password works. I am now on with a password of my choice.

Thank you. :hug:
- Bertrand Russell