Banned IP ?

If you have problems registering or logging in, post here

Moderator: Moderators

TheJackelantern
Under Probation

Banned IP ?

Post #1

Post by TheJackelantern »

My IP appears to be banned for no apparent reason. I'm posting via proxy as I can't access the site by any other means. So I wouldn't mind some help with what may be wrong here. I still get emails to threads I posted in ect as well. So was I banned, or what's going on?

Thanks,

TheJackelantern

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Banned IP ?

Post #2

Post by Goat »

TheJackelantern wrote:My IP appears to be banned for no apparent reason. I'm posting via proxy as I can't access the site by any other means. So I wouldn't mind some help with what may be wrong here. I still get emails to threads I posted in ect as well. So was I banned, or what's going on?

Thanks,

TheJackelantern
For a while, there was someone who was using DOS attacks to try to disrupt this board, and things were put into place to stop that. It happened to me a few times.. but I think I am on an exception list now. Message osteng with your IP addr, and I am sure he'll unblock it and put it in an exception list
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Right, there is software in place that will auto ban IPs based on suspicious activity. But, it will only ban the IP for 30 minutes. So, if you do think you are using a banned IP, wait about 30 minutes and try again.

TheJackelantern
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by TheJackelantern »

I think it's ok now giving I'm not going through the proxy site anymore.. Some how it doesn't surprise me to see sites like this get DOS attacks :/ Seems some can't handle having sites like this one around to where there is open debate. :/ Anyways, thanks for the info and help guys :)

The Fog Horn

Post #5

Post by The Fog Horn »

Jackelantern. I'm glad you were able to sign in again. I'd like to discuss something with you. Please contact on at

thefoghorn@hotmail.co.uk