Login problems

If you have problems registering or logging in, post here

Moderator: Moderators

cnorman18

Login problems

Post #1

Post by cnorman18 »

The "log me in automatically" function no longer works, on either my MacBook or my iPhone. It won't even remember my username or password. Not a big deal, but it IS annoying.

Also; Isn't it about time we got an app for iPhone for this forum? Every other forum and website I go to seems to have one. ???

Thanks,

Charles

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

To the latter question, I remember otseng looking into it, but there were some problems with the support for this forum's phpbb version, or something to that effect.

I would actually quite like to work(or help work) on such a project, but iPhones only seem to like Objective C, and I'd rather eat all my socks than code in that. If there are other forums similar to this with open source apps for them, I'd be happy to look into porting it to this one.

As an alternative, you could try using the lo-fi version of the forum in your iPhone browser(they have browsers, right?) and see how that goes.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

cnorman18 wrote: The "log me in automatically" function no longer works, on either my MacBook or my iPhone. It won't even remember my username or password. Not a big deal, but it IS annoying.
Hmm, I might have inadvertently broke it. Do you know roughly when it stopped working?
Also; Isn't it about time we got an app for iPhone for this forum? Every other forum and website I go to seems to have one. ???
The only mobile software I know about is Tapatalk. But unfortunately it doesn't support phpbb2.

And I'm not a iPhone programmer, but I have written an Android app for any Android users out there to access this forum.

cnorman18

Post #4

Post by cnorman18 »

otseng wrote:
cnorman18 wrote: The "log me in automatically" function no longer works, on either my MacBook or my iPhone. It won't even remember my username or password. Not a big deal, but it IS annoying.
Hmm, I might have inadvertently broke it. Do you know roughly when it stopped working?
The automatic sign-in function, a couple of months ago, maybe, and that just on my iPhone; but it just started not remembering my screenname and password maybe a week ago. Both seem to be working OK on my laptop now.

Thanks!

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

The forum does not know what the passwords are. They are stored as a one-way hash. So, remembering the password would be a function of your browser.

For remembering being logged in, I'll comb through the files for the past several months and see what got changed.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

otseng wrote: The forum does not know what the passwords are. They are stored as a one-way hash. So, remembering the password would be a function of your browser.

For remembering being logged in, I'll comb through the files for the past several months and see what got changed.
Remembering the screenname is presumably done via a cookie. Maybe something going on with cookies deleted and now not allowed to be stored?

The browser remembering the password is as you say a selectable browser function, but it needs to know the user name in name in order to select the right stored password. So not having the screenname automatically filled in means no password filled in either.

I do not have automatic login in effect but 'something' remembers that I am currently logged in. While logged in, I can connect to the site again in a new tab or new window and am logged in there without needing to specify anything. Do not know if that is relevant or not.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

cnorman18

Post #7

Post by cnorman18 »

otseng wrote: The forum does not know what the passwords are. They are stored as a one-way hash. So, remembering the password would be a function of your browser.

Fixed. Thanks!