Password resetting

If you have problems registering or logging in, post here

Moderator: Moderators

Cephus
Prodigy

Password resetting

Post #1

Post by Cephus »

It's not quite a registration problem, but close enough, I guess. This seems to be the most logical place to put this, at least.

Lately, perhaps once a week, I've been getting the message that my password has expired and I need to request another one. This hasn't happened before, so I'm assuming it's a glitch. I can request a new password and get back in, but it's a royal pain to have to go through this on a regular basis.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #2

Post by Cephus »

And it happened again. That's twice in less than 12 hours. This is getting ridiculous.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Sorry about that, there's some quirkiness with the password expiration function.

I went into the database directly to reset the password expiration for your account. Let me know if you have any further problems.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Cephus »

otseng wrote:Sorry about that, there's some quirkiness with the password expiration function.

I went into the database directly to reset the password expiration for your account. Let me know if you have any further problems.
That's fine, I figured it was just some weird glitch. Thanks for being so helpful!

:D

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Cephus »

Actually, not sure that fixed it. When I tried to log on yesterday, I got the same "Your password has expired" message, but I didn't feel like going through the hassle of resetting it, but when I logged on today, it worked. Not sure if yesterday was a glitch or not now...

QED
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by QED »

I've been getting this a lot as well. I've been meaning to isolate the conditions under which it happens before bringing it up -- but I haven't got round to it yet. The problem seemed to be when linking to a topic from the email notifications. I would be already logged onto the site, but when trying to reply to a post I would get the password expired error. If, rather than using the link in the email, I browsed to the debatingchristianity.com index I found that I could post replies OK.

I think the link in the email notification migth have been to debatex (or whaterever that domain was -- I can't find any of those links now).

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Cephus »

QED wrote:I've been getting this a lot as well. I've been meaning to isolate the conditions under which it happens before bringing it up -- but I haven't got round to it yet. The problem seemed to be when linking to a topic from the email notifications. I would be already logged onto the site, but when trying to reply to a post I would get the password expired error. If, rather than using the link in the email, I browsed to the debatingchristianity.com index I found that I could post replies OK.

I think the link in the email notification migth have been to debatex (or whaterever that domain was -- I can't find any of those links now).
That's not the problem I've been having, I'm logging directly into debatingchristianity.com and getting the error. This happens whether I allow the autologin feature to work or not and it seems to be sporatic. Yesterday, I couldn't get in at all. Today, it worked first try. Sometimes, it'll fail, I'll go back and uncheck the "log me in automatically" box and it'll work.

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

I think there might be problems with both.

Cephus, could you try deleting your cookies and then relogin in? The latest php upgrade touched the autologin functionality. And there could be the possibility that something broke.

QED, you've mentioned a problem that I've had with this site. Though it's convenient to have several domains point to this site, it causes problems with sessions. I think what I'll do is have all domains redirect to debatingchristianity.com, so that hopefully it'll resolve session issues. And you're right, the temporary fix to it is just to change the domain in url in your browser.

And I'll also see if I can modify the code to disable password resets. But, it'll be the new year before I can get around to it.

QED
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by QED »

No more problems for me now that everything redirects to debatingchristianity.com :D Good fix!

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Cephus »

otseng wrote:Cephus, could you try deleting your cookies and then relogin in? The latest php upgrade touched the autologin functionality. And there could be the possibility that something broke.
I did that but I don't remember when. Yesterday, I couldn't log in at all, today I can, but I don't remember if I deleted the cookie before or after I tried yesterday. At the moment, it looks like we're good, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?