New forum member

If you have problems registering or logging in, post here

Moderator: Moderators

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

New forum member

Post #1

Post by Taff Lafferty »

just thought I would introduce myself, as a new member, i will undoubtedly upset some and support others.

I will analyse, interrogate and challenge posters beliefs, opinions, words and religious bias. I expect the same in return, although i unlike some, wont get upset or offended.

If i offend your beliefs, religion and hard held views, it will probably be intentional but i will do it as polite and reasonable as possible. I intend to push people to their limits in such a way as to present my own bias and disgust clearly.

Also i want to put out there information and supported factual evidence that explores the possibility that some religions are just plain wrong.

i bid you all good fortunes to a point, and a favorable conclusion for me.

I will take any questions on me, but reserve the right to ignore stupid ones.
Taff Lafferty

I see you

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

Welcome Taff. Hope to see you in the forums. Do be careful about how much you show your disgust. The forum has strict rules about civility.

Have fun!

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

Looking forward to seeing your perspective on things. Welcome to the forums.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Cinderella Man
Student

Hello

Post #4

Post by Cinderella Man »

New member here. Haven't read enough to know a lot about the people here yet; still just learning may way around the forum. I'm an atheist with a very conservative Christian upbringing. I tend to rely on logical arguments and strongly support scientific concepts but I'm not opposed to the idea of spirituality. In fact I embrace it myself, just not the same way as Christians typically do. I don't despise religions but I do find them extremely conflicted and often dangerous.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

Welcome to the forums Cinderella Man.

Your intro reflects my views as well. I too was raised as a Christian, although our specific church was quite liberal actually. In any case, I had to reject the religion of Christianity overall as being obviously false.

But like you I also am not opposed to the idea of spiritual or a possible mystical essence to reality. I see the basic idea behind pantheism as having some plausibility. And just as a matter of personal "spirituality" I practice various pagan traditions that have recently been associated with a concept of solitary eclectic "Wicca". I cast circles and perform various rituals that I consider to be "Shamanic Journeys". But I don't hold these up as being anything more than a personal hobby. :D

I think it's fun to pretend that there are higher spirits to commune with. I also think it can be a practical psychological tool even knowing that it's a totally made-up tradition.

And like you, since I leave open the possibility of a potential higher mystical essence to reality, then there's always the possibility that some higher consciousness might actually recognize my attempt to commune with it. :D

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that to let you know that there are others here who feel similar. Non-theistic, but open to the possibility. Science certainly hasn't ruled that possibility out to be sure. And I totally support all of confirmed science including evolution which I personally feel has been confirmed.

I hope you enjoy your forum experience.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

Welcome Cinderella man. I too was brought up in a Christian home, a dedicated Christian for may years. Now an atheist, even though I never wanted to be.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World