Book banning in the USA

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Book banning in the USA

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Recently, a friend posted something that's going on with her kids (10 & 13 I believe they are) school. There is a book - called Unicorn something or the like - I never read or seen it until now, but it seems to be about a unique person (the unicorn) standing up for themselves in an area of no unicorns - that the school board is wanting to ban.
The school board is said it's for 'protecting the children'. I suspect it's more for 'protecting the adults' than any children, as this seems to be the case in some many of these cases as of late.
My friend's oldest kid said 'Why do adults have to be so dramatic? It's just a book!' It's worth nothing, her oldest has stood up for many a picked on kid this year alone.

This isn't the only time, in the USA, book banning has been attempted and or done.
I've always found it odd that schools and parents want their kids to learn to read yet, for some parents, only read what they want them to read.

For discussion:
Is 'book banning' a way of protecting anything outside of racism and the like, or is it a legit way to censor?
What books should be banned, if any?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Book banning in the USA

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

benchwarmer wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:35 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:39 am
I need a new butt.

Mine's cracked.

Thank you, thank you. And welcome to the 1970s greatest hits power hour.
Oh ya? Mine's cracked and has a hole in it!
:-|
#dadjoke
Have a great, potentially godless, day!