Abortion

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Illyricum
Apprentice

Abortion

Post #1

Post by Illyricum »

What are you thoughts/opinions on abortion?

Jose
Guru

Post #211

Post by Jose »

Corvus wrote:Psst. Actually, Gaunt wrote that, not me. ;) Credit where credit is due and all that.
#-o Uh oh. Sorry, Gaunt. I'll be sure to attribute something of Corvus's to you, next time, to make it even. Y'd think I could look back through the posts and get them right, but apparently that's a more complex task than it seems!
Panza llena, corazon contento

Vianne
Student

America

Post #212

Post by Vianne »

A bit off topic, but I had to butt in --

To whomever said America is founded on Christian principles, I would have to disagree.

Many of the founding fathers were Deists, and you can see this in their writings. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin and Thomas Paine were all Deists, not Christians.

Just a comment. Back to your regularly scheduled abortion debate. :)

Vianne

Gaunt
Apprentice

Post #213

Post by Gaunt »

Vianne wrote:To whomever said America is founded on Christian principles, I would have to disagree.
You might want to check out the Faith of the founders thread in Politics and Religion

chrispalasz
Scholar

Post #214

Post by chrispalasz »

I'm in Texas visiting my brother this week.

I was watching TV, and they were having a "pro-choice" rally. I listened to the speaker. He did not present a single good reason as to why abortions should be legal. Not a single good reason. In fact, I have never once even heard a single good reason as to why abortion should be legal. I presume that is because not one exists.

So, I challenge anyone that is pro-choice (or pro-abortion. Pretty much the same thing) to come up with a single good reason as to why it exists. Just one would be fine. I just want to see if there is one.

Tigerlilly
Student

Post #215

Post by Tigerlilly »

was watching TV, and they were having a "pro-choice" rally. I listened to the speaker. He did not present a single good reason as to why abortions should be legal. Not a single good reason. In fact, I have never once even heard a single good reason as to why abortion should be legal. I presume that is because not one exists.
It depends on what you think is a good reason. I know of multiple good reasons that have to do with the Ethical principles of

1. Autonomy
2. Utility
3. Moral Agency
4. Rationality/IQ
5. The Objectivist moral principle

chrispalasz
Scholar

Post #216

Post by chrispalasz »

Tigerlilly wrote:

It depends on what you think is a good reason. I know of multiple good reasons that have to do with the Ethical principles of

1. Autonomy
2. Utility
3. Moral Agency
4. Rationality/IQ
This is a good point. It definately does depend on what I think a good reason is, doesn't it? Let's look at it from the perspective of whether it is right or wrong. Let us weigh both sides, and see which comes out on top.

You have stated that you know of multiple good reasons that have to do with the 5 Ethical principles you named. Since you know multiple reasons, please name one from each category. That will be good enough, for starters.

I will go ahead and predict that you will not be able to succeed in providing a single good point for just one of the five categories.

Corvus
Guru

Post #217

Post by Corvus »

GreenLight311 wrote:
Tigerlilly wrote:

1. Autonomy
2. Utility
3. Moral Agency
4. Rationality/IQ
This is a good point. It definately does depend on what I think a good reason is, doesn't it? Let's look at it from the perspective of whether it is right or wrong.
Isn't this what we've been doing for the past 22 pages? :whistle:
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #218

Post by bernee51 »

GreenLight311 wrote: It definately does depend on what I think a good reason is, doesn't it? Let's look at it from the perspective of whether it is right or wrong. Let us weigh both sides, and see which comes out on top.
Right or wrong has absolutely nothing to do with whether it (arbortion) should be available. I may personally believe that abortion is 'wrong' for me but that still doesn't make it wrong for my neighbour.

The issue is and always will be 'choice'. I have no right to force my beliefs on others nor they on me. No one is asking you to have (or sanction) an abortion. What is being requested is the right to make a personal decision.

Nothing more nothing less.

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #219

Post by Amadeus »

The point, Bernee, is that if you think something is wrong, you should not stand by and let it happen anyway. That is what so many people did in Nazi Germany....they stood by and did nothing, and look at what Hitler was able to get away with!

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #220

Post by bernee51 »

Amadeus wrote:The point, Bernee, is that if you think something is wrong, you should not stand by and let it happen anyway. That is what so many people did in Nazi Germany....they stood by and did nothing, and look at what Hitler was able to get away with!
Sure - I totally support your right to express your opinion...but not impose it. If you think something is 'wrong' it is your right, perhaps even your duty, to say the same.

I don't think that being pro-choice=nazism - that is a slippery slope fallacy. Besides one can be pro-choice and anti-abortion.