Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

perspective
Apprentice

Organized Religion

Post #1

Post by perspective »

ABOUT ORGANIZED RELIGION:
WHY IT INSPIRES SO MUCH GENOCIDE, OPPRESSION, etc.
WHY IT IS OUR GREATEST HOPE.

This article while not displaying the most professional website facade, offers some interesting views about why organized religions find themselves in the tightest spots in history.
Almost all religions already have an Ethic of Reciprocity. This is a statement that one should treat others as they would like to be treated; one should not harm others. Consider Christianity as one example:

It's Ethic of Reciprocity is called the Golden Rule.
One expression appears in Matthew 7:12: "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them."
If this rule were rigorously applied, then there would be little or no religiously-inspired violence. Unfortunately, followers of each religion often apply the Ethic only to fellow believers, and not to persons of other faiths.
In Luke 10:33-37, Jesus is recorded as delivering the parable of the Good Samaritan. In essence, it teaches that every other human being on earth is one's neighbor and has intrinsic worth -- whether or not that other person is of the same nationality, race, gender religion, etc.
Not to be provocative, but religious branches have long been transient in the followings of their own holy text(s). While I agree with many of the observations and points in this article, I still have trouble believing that religious organizations themselves will be the solution to the injustices they themselves heap upon others. The only way the church(es) have ever changed their ways was when they were drug - kicking and screaming - into the new world and smacked on the ass, where they procede to cry and then sulk, but eventually adapt or die. Religions can try to adapt into something ideal like this article would suggest, but they will never voluntarily give up "traditional" views of past generations just to adopt a fairer "live and let live" stance. Organized religion will forever read the bible to fit their own prejudices and fears. It's human nature.

Do you think it will ever be the case that the ancient holy texts will be interpreted in a non-discriminatory, tolerant way?

Corvus
Guru

Post #21

Post by Corvus »

Barbie wrote:Many horrible things have been and are done in the name of religion, for the sake of religion. Even during the time of Jesus, the religious leaders were not reflecting the Lord. So often we find it easiest to point fingers at religion. Religion has NEVER been a part of God's plan, in fact He scorns those who appear religious!

Religion brings to mind mans rules, mans way. Christianity, on the other hand is to be God's rules, God's way. Do many profess to be Christians and still do evil? Of course!! Christian does not mean perfect, just forgiven and in the process of sanctification.

There are Christian groups today that have no business attaching the name of Christ to their group. And with all the redefining going on I am not even sure what Christian means anymore, at least not from the worlds perspective.

It is way past time to move past religion and step into a RELATIONSHIP with Jesus. Debates are great, but all the debating in the world will not answer the questions of the heart. All the debates in the world will not make a difference when eternity stares you in the face.

Religion? Throw it out!

Afterall, Jesus was NOT religious. Was He?

If what you really believe in is a strong personal relationship with God, why are you forcing your beliefs on other people?
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Barbie

Post #22

Post by Barbie »

If what you really believe in is a strong personal relationship with God, why are you forcing your beliefs on other people?
Forcing my beliefs on other people? :confused2:

I am not sure where this can be seen in my post. Far be it from me to "force" anything on anybody! We are all given free choice. I am simply expressing my views, my beliefs based on faith in God. Is that not allowed? Perhaps I missed a rule somewhere.

God doesn't even force His views on people. In His infinite wisdom He has allowed free choice.

Forcing my beliefs? :confused2:
Matthew 5:13 & 14

You are the salt of the earth.

You are the light of the world.

Corvus
Guru

Post #23

Post by Corvus »

Barbie wrote:
Forcing my beliefs on other people? :confused2:

I am not sure where this can be seen in my post. Far be it from me to "force" anything on anybody! We are all given free choice. I am simply expressing my views, my beliefs based on faith in God. Is that not allowed? Perhaps I missed a rule somewhere.

God doesn't even force His views on people. In His infinite wisdom He has allowed free choice.

Forcing my beliefs? :confused2:
Pardon me, but I construed your post there as meaning you wished marriage was defined as only between a man and a woman. If that was the case, the intent to force is there, but not the will. I am still in the process of discovering whether it makes a difference, but this is a personal quest.

I see now that force is incorrect, however, and I apologise for it. Sorry.

Either way, you still disapprove of something personal to homosexual individuals - individuals who, quite possibly, already have a personal relationship with God, gods or any deity. But you still claim with some authority that they are turning their backs on Him, and that they will suffer consequences for this. How?

I do agree with your first post in this thread, though, in saying that a belief should be personal. But organised religion, when i's not being bad, is instilling a feeling of community within likeminded people that allows them to achieve, possibly, great things.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Barbie

Post #24

Post by Barbie »

From Corvus:
I am still in the process of discovering whether it makes a difference, but this is a personal quest.

Dear Corvus,

I am on many personal quests! Coming to a point in my life when it has to make sense. Tired of the grey areas. Tired of the inconsistancies. Still seeking and searching. Trying to make up for a LOT of wasted years!!

I see now that force is incorrect, however, and I apologise for it. Sorry.

Apology accepted! I was afraid that I might have posted something other than what I intended. Hard sometimes with message boards to get the true intent, tone across! But thank you very much for the apology. :D

But you still claim with some authority that they are turning their backs on Him, and that they will suffer consequences for this. How?

I make NO claims to authority. The only authority I adhere to is the authority of God. He sets the standards. He is authority. On my own, I have nothing to claim but Him.

I do agree with your first post in this thread, though, in saying that a belief should be personal. But organised religion, when i's not being bad, is instilling a feeling of community within likeminded people that allows them to achieve, possibly, great things.

Our beliefs are personal. And as you so wisely stated do need to be taken to a corporate level. Unfortunatley the corporate level leaves much to be desired. I am still seeking a Body of believers that will be "real". I am tired of the hypocricy, arrogance, and self-serving, self-feeding organizations. I feel that the corporate church of today will have much to answer for. The corporate church of today has turned many away from Jesus and not pointed them to Him. At times I am ashamed to even admit being a Christian, because of what the corporate body does! :shock:

And what is the Body, what is organised religion? We so often get caught up in the structure, the programs that we lose sight of the PEOPLE! Organised religion has become a business. And it is not in the business designed by the Lord. The business of salvation! Much to answer for...
Matthew 5:13 & 14

You are the salt of the earth.

You are the light of the world.

filiasan
Student

Once upon a time, in the land of Perfect Religion...

Post #25

Post by filiasan »

Once upon a time there was neat, clean-cut religion. This is the way it all shall be! And it seemed like a noble idea. But, one day a human found it. The human liked the pretty religion and took it home with him. One day, word got out about this "wonder product". It spread like wildfire. All the other people in town wanted to get to know this religion! And, being the good, nice, sharing type, the human gladly shared it with his neighbors. But, some of those neighbors thought that the religion might be a little better if they changed a few things about it. These people bickered and fought over how it would be settled. The one who found it began to see how they could be right, and falling into their trap, he began to develop the same pattern. Soon the religion began to wilt, and while some people didn't notice, others did and decided that maybe it wasn't for them, after all. The people that continued to believe that the religion was great, forced it upon those that didn't, trying hard to change their minds, while the people at the other end began to shape the religion into what they thought was best., while simultaneously attempting to cover up the spot that they, themselves had put there! Quickly, the wonder product had turned into a deformed version of its original shape.

This is what happens to religion. Once it's touched my human imperfection, it warps into something that of a perplexity. Who are we to say that it's wrong? Look. Even after all this time, it's still nice and pretty. But, yet there's a spot <tries to cut it off, but can't> Oh well...<hides the spot under a fresh, new bloom>