Suicide

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

TheParticlePerson
Scholar

Suicide

Post #1

Post by TheParticlePerson »

Until recently suicide was illegal in many places (haha). Most believe it to be wrong; However I don't see what the problem is. Of course your family and friends won't be thrilled about it, but if someone grows tired of existence they have the right to end their own.

Imagine an individual with no family or friends, nobody is even aware of his existence. Would it be wrong for him to kill himself? And for those who believe in eternal punishment, is self termination worthy of it?

So, suicide good or suicide bad?

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Lux »

Chaosborders wrote: But definitely was imprisonment at one point in England: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Act_1961
Give a person with suicidal tendencies further reason to be depressed. Bright #-o

sineporf
Student

Re: Suicide

Post #12

Post by sineporf »

TheParticlePerson wrote:Until recently suicide was illegal in many places (haha). Most believe it to be wrong; However I don't see what the problem is. Of course your family and friends won't be thrilled about it, but if someone grows tired of existence they have the right to end their own.

Imagine an individual with no family or friends, nobody is even aware of his existence. Would it be wrong for him to kill himself? And for those who believe in eternal punishment, is self termination worthy of it?

My opinion: suicide is stupid. A life is unique. Live it out and see where it goes. It doesn't matter if religion says it is right or wrong. One should do the best with what he/she is given.

Fanshen

Post #13

Post by Fanshen »

Ernestalice
Student

Post #14

Post by Ernestalice »

TheParticlePerson wrote:Until recently suicide was illegal in many places (haha). Most believe it to be wrong; However I don't see what the problem is. Of course your family and friends won't be thrilled about it, but if someone grows tired of existence they have the right to end their own.

My opinion is suicide neither good nor bad. It's like can u answer if I asked 'to be live is good or bad?'. There are both good and bad things if you live, but that 'good or bad' never really has a standard for everyone. It's subjective.
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." (William Shakespeare)

I see suicide as a self-satisfaction and cowardice. It's true, you have the right to choose. Choosing always be mainly part of life. For example, in a war, a soldier can choose to kill or to be killed. For me, both have the same burden of guilt. I can't enjoy killing people, yet I'll feel guilty if I were killed and because of that I couldn't save my friends.
So, what makes it different is not your choice, but your consider and awareness of the risk, yet you don't afraid to burden it. But suicide is just a run from choosing. An individual doesn't want to face a very tough and lonely life anymore because he/she is afraid that it will be no end. Suicide is an evidence that the individual fears the future, yet doesn't want to burden the risk of choosing it.

DeBunkem
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by DeBunkem »

suckka wrote:
TheParticlePerson wrote:
Imagine an individual with no family or friends, nobody is even aware of his existence.
First, I don't think anyone can either condone or condemn another's decision to end their life. We are powerless to stop them or make them do it.

Second, if someone has no friends or family and is perusing the internet on the subject of suicide, it doesn't sound like their "mentally ill" does it? Maybe they do not really want to end their lives but are instead looking for a reason not to that resinates with them. Maybe they are lonely. Maybe they have just suffered a breakup or death in the family. Maybe I am naive; I know I am definitely not a professional on the subject; Only my own life experience and compassion for others compells me to add to this subject in the hopes that it may help someone.

How about a change of pace? If I had no one in my life and I had nothing to lose, I think I could find something to do before ending my life, you know, like a bucket list. I've never baked a german chocolate cake from scratch, I've never skydived, I've never been on all the roller coasters in the world! I've never ridden a camel, I've never seen a sunset from Hawaii, I've never backpacked into a national forest and camped out overnight alone (I'm too chicken!), I've never walked across the united states for a good cause. I've never been to Africa or Prague. So much to do and if you film it and blog about it, maybe someone who is not so lucky can live vicariously through you.
Such a suffering loner would probably have little money to travel or rent airplanes.

DeBunkem
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by DeBunkem »

Lucia wrote:
Chaosborders wrote: But definitely was imprisonment at one point in England: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Act_1961
Give a person with suicidal tendencies further reason to be depressed. Bright #-o
So true...depressed people are often chided for self-pity; adding guilt and implications of "moral weakness" to their misery. Interesting that suicide is now the #1 killer of US troops...higher than the civilian suicide rate. Will the finger-pointers charge them with cowardice, too?

LedbyChrist
Student

Post #17

Post by LedbyChrist »

depends

A father rapes his daughter for years. He kills himself. Ask her if its good or bad.

A suicide bomber straps a bomb to his chest and blows up a hospital. Ask the family of the victim if its good or bad.

Get my point?

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by ChaosBorders »

LedbyChrist wrote:So, suicide good or suicide bad?

depends

A father rapes his daughter for years. He kills himself. Ask her if its good or bad.

A suicide bomber straps a bomb to his chest and blows up a hospital. Ask the family of the victim if its good or bad.

Get my point?
Difference there being that latter is also murdering a lot of people. No one minds much when they accidentally blow themselves up and don't hurt anyone else.

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by ChaosBorders »

Ernestalice wrote: I see suicide as a self-satisfaction and cowardice.
Have you ever been majorly depressed? If you have not been clinically depressed, then I doubt you aware of the level of emotional suffering those who have suicidal tendencies have.

Ernestalice wrote:But suicide is just a run from choosing. An individual doesn't want to face a very tough and lonely life anymore because he/she is afraid that it will be no end. Suicide is an evidence that the individual fears the future, yet doesn't want to burden the risk of choosing it.
This is simplistic thinking. Suicide is itself a choice. For many with severe depression, the future seems unbearable and they do not see that suffering ever ending. If they have no reason to believe it will end, then from their perspective the logical choice may well be to end their suffering. Fear is not needed to decide to end an unpleasant state of affairs.

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #20

Post by BwhoUR »

DeBunkem wrote:
suckka wrote:
TheParticlePerson wrote:
Imagine an individual with no family or friends, nobody is even aware of his existence.
First, I don't think anyone can either condone or condemn another's decision to end their life. We are powerless to stop them or make them do it.

Second, if someone has no friends or family and is perusing the internet on the subject of suicide, it doesn't sound like their "mentally ill" does it? Maybe they do not really want to end their lives but are instead looking for a reason not to that resinates with them. Maybe they are lonely. Maybe they have just suffered a breakup or death in the family. Maybe I am naive; I know I am definitely not a professional on the subject; Only my own life experience and compassion for others compells me to add to this subject in the hopes that it may help someone.

How about a change of pace? If I had no one in my life and I had nothing to lose, I think I could find something to do before ending my life, you know, like a bucket list. I've never baked a german chocolate cake from scratch, I've never skydived, I've never been on all the roller coasters in the world! I've never ridden a camel, I've never seen a sunset from Hawaii, I've never backpacked into a national forest and camped out overnight alone (I'm too chicken!), I've never walked across the united states for a good cause. I've never been to Africa or Prague. So much to do and if you film it and blog about it, maybe someone who is not so lucky can live vicariously through you.
Such a suffering loner would probably have little money to travel or rent airplanes.
At least three of my ideas don't cost any money. And those are just choices off the top of my head, someone else may be more imaginative. I also think if you have lots of time and maybe good communication skills, you can get anywhere without much money, maybe not first-class, but you can get there.

As far as suffering loners, I get it, I was miserable most of my youth, isolated, depressed with loveless parents (both suffering from mental disorders). Luckily, I found friends that could help me cope. But the motivation to live has to come from within, you have to use every ounce of energy to get out of a bad situation.