The Meaning of the Third Commandment

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

cnorman18

The Meaning of the Third Commandment

Post #1

Post by cnorman18 »

The following is a column that appeared in the weekly e-newsletter of my synagogue. Its author is the same Rabbi William J. Gershon who gave me the first quote in my signature. I think it's an interesting reflection on the meaning, not only of the Commandments, but of "being religious."
Rabbi Gershon wrote:
The Ten Commandments

On a recent trip to New York, I was riding in a cab. As is my custom, I ask all cab drivers where they are from. Over the years, I've gotten some pretty interesting responses. This time, instead of answering my question, the cab driver asked me a question in a thick New York accent. "Are you a rabbi?" he blurted out. Clearly he noticed my kippah and made the assumption that I might be a rabbi. He then said: "You know, I follow the Ten Commandments."

I was struck by that statement because very few Jews could name all of the Ten Commandments, no less name them in order. In this week's Torah reading, we read the Ten Commandments.

When people say they follow the Ten Commandments, I wonder if they realize that observing Shabbat is one of them. How many of us understand what it means not to covet one's neighbor's goods or wife? One of my favorite mitzvot to focus on when teaching the Ten Commandments is that "You shall not take God's name in vain." Just what does that mean?

Does God really care if we say "God ---- it!?" Actually the Hebrew gives us a clue. In Hebrew, it is "lo tisa et shem adonai elohecha lashav" - "You shall not carry God's name in vain". What does it mean to carry God's name in vain?

I offer an example taught by one of my teachers many years ago:

"If you cheat in business and keep Kosher, I will ask you to stop cheating in business. But, if you will not stop cheating in business, I will ask you to stop keeping Kosher."

If we purport to lead a religiously observant life, but then that religious observance does not transfer to our ethical behavior, then we have carried God's name in vain. We have brought down God. One of the first things an atheist will say is: "Why believe in God? Look at all those people who believe in God and who are not ethical!"

Please don't misunderstand. I am in no way arguing that ethics somehow are more important than leading a religiously observant life. Keeping Kosher, observing Shabbat, studying Torah, observing Holidays and daily prayer all form part of a system of religious expression which can enrich us spiritually, and bring great meaning to our lives. Ethics and ritual are not mutually exclusive. On the contrary, one reinforces the other. What I am saying is that a religiously observant life that does not lead to ethics or motivate us to create a more compassionate world, misses the point of leading a religious life in the first place.

So the next time someone asks you if you keep the Ten Commandments, give your answer much thought.

Shabbat Shalom
Questions for debate:

Do you agree with this interpretation, or application, of the Third Commandment?

If a person who professes to be religious behaves in an unethical manner, does that bring shame upon religion and/or upon God?

Does or should that extend to the way those who profess to be religious treat other members of this forum?

earl
Scholar

Re: The Meaning of the Third Commandment

Post #2

Post by earl »

cnorman18 wrote:The following is a column that appeared in the weekly e-newsletter of my synagogue. Its author is the same Rabbi William J. Gershon who gave me the first quote in my signature. I think it's an interesting reflection on the meaning, not only of the Commandments, but of "being religious."
Rabbi Gershon wrote:
The Ten Commandments

On a recent trip to New York, I was riding in a cab. As is my custom, I ask all cab drivers where they are from. Over the years, I've gotten some pretty interesting responses. This time, instead of answering my question, the cab driver asked me a question in a thick New York accent. "Are you a rabbi?" he blurted out. Clearly he noticed my kippah and made the assumption that I might be a rabbi. He then said: "You know, I follow the Ten Commandments."

I was struck by that statement because very few Jews could name all of the Ten Commandments, no less name them in order. In this week's Torah reading, we read the Ten Commandments.

When people say they follow the Ten Commandments, I wonder if they realize that observing Shabbat is one of them. How many of us understand what it means not to covet one's neighbor's goods or wife? One of my favorite mitzvot to focus on when teaching the Ten Commandments is that "You shall not take God's name in vain." Just what does that mean?

Does God really care if we say "God ---- it!?" Actually the Hebrew gives us a clue. In Hebrew, it is "lo tisa et shem adonai elohecha lashav" - "You shall not carry God's name in vain". What does it mean to carry God's name in vain?

I offer an example taught by one of my teachers many years ago:

"If you cheat in business and keep Kosher, I will ask you to stop cheating in business. But, if you will not stop cheating in business, I will ask you to stop keeping Kosher."

If we purport to lead a religiously observant life, but then that religious observance does not transfer to our ethical behavior, then we have carried God's name in vain. We have brought down God. One of the first things an atheist will say is: "Why believe in God? Look at all those people who believe in God and who are not ethical!"

Please don't misunderstand. I am in no way arguing that ethics somehow are more important than leading a religiously observant life. Keeping Kosher, observing Shabbat, studying Torah, observing Holidays and daily prayer all form part of a system of religious expression which can enrich us spiritually, and bring great meaning to our lives. Ethics and ritual are not mutually exclusive. On the contrary, one reinforces the other. What I am saying is that a religiously observant life that does not lead to ethics or motivate us to create a more compassionate world, misses the point of leading a religious life in the first place.

So the next time someone asks you if you keep the Ten Commandments, give your answer much thought.

Shabbat Shalom
Questions for debate:

Do you agree with this interpretation, or application, of the Third Commandment?

If a person who professes to be religious behaves in an unethical manner, does that bring shame upon religion and/or upon God?

Does or should that extend to the way those who profess to be religious treat other members of this forum?

Quote from cnorman18:"Meby we could just respect each other's beliefs and leave each other alone?"This may be the usual forum cyber talk but I have decided that it is not.Do we not participate in this forum where by if I am to respect your wishes I must respectfully step around you?
With that said and as I interpret your reply I have declined to follow up on posts or follow behind on a post you have made thereafter in this area it appears you mainly reside and others I see you frequent until now.
So as you moderate and post how is it that a member can respect your wishes that you and I "leave each other alone" in this forum?
If when you say "just respect other's beliefs " indicates a shadow or potential or disrespect to your religion from posts I have made you did not moderate on it so it remains unknown to me the actual meaning"leave each other alone".
However this would be in line with "respect each other's beliefs".

cnorman18

Post #3

Post by cnorman18 »

earl wrote:
Quote from cnorman18:"Meby we could just respect each other's beliefs and leave each other alone?"This may be the usual forum cyber talk but I have decided that it is not.Do we not participate in this forum where by if I am to respect your wishes I must respectfully step around you?
With that said and as I interpret your reply I have declined to follow up on posts or follow behind on a post you have made thereafter in this area it appears you mainly reside and others I see you frequent until now.
So as you moderate and post how is it that a member can respect your wishes that you and I "leave each other alone" in this forum?
If when you say "just respect other's beliefs " indicates a shadow or potential or disrespect to your religion from posts I have made you did not moderate on it so it remains unknown to me the actual meaning"leave each other alone".
However this would be in line with "respect each other's beliefs".
Let me make myself clear, or try to:

By "leave each other alone," I did not mean ignore each other. I think it's possible, even fun, for people of differing beliefs to talk and share ideas and discuss a wide variety of issues; but I don't think it's appropriate for us to preach to each other. I don't care to be told, for instance, that if I don't accept Jesus I am going to Hell, or that Jews ought to realize that the Hebrew Bible is all about Jesus and is filled with "prophecies" of him, and all that sort of thing. The way I learned it, that's disrespectful. I also consider it rude and personally offensive. I realize that some Christians feel it is a religious obligation to witness and evangelize, but when that effort is rejected, it ought to be abandoned and its object "left alone" on that subject. We can then talk about other things.

That's also what I mean by "respect." I have a great respect, even a reverence, for the Christian faith. I do not say it is a false religion; I have no warrant to say that, or to think it, and I don't. What I do say is that it is not MY religion, and I don't care to be told that it OUGHT to be.

I certainly didn't intend to imply that you have been disrespectful in the past; my remarks were general and addressed to everyone who reads them, and not to you in particular.

One more note, and I think all the moderators would agree with this; the fact that we are moderators ought not affect the way others address us or read our remarks any more than any other member. We are subject to the same rules as anyone else here, and we are (and have been) called down by other mods and by the administrators when we misbehave, like anyone else; this has happened to me, I am abashed to say, not infrequently. When we are acting in a moderating capacity, we say so explicitly at the head of the post; when we aren't we are like any other member and ought to be treated as such.

I hope that clarifies things. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to post them here, or PM me if you like.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

This very thought is echoed in the New Testament.
Matthew 5:16 wrote: Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
If God the Father is glorified by Christians' good works, how is God affected by Christians' misdeeds?
Matthew 5:22-24 wrote: But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.
Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.
According to Jesus, God does not want the worship of those who are unreconciled to their brethren.
1 Peter 2:12 wrote: Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.
Christians' good reputation among outsiders is not an option.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

inspirationalsayings

Post #5

Post by inspirationalsayings »

cnorman18 wrote:The following is a column that appeared in the weekly e-newsletter of my synagogue. Its author is the same Rabbi William J. Gershon who gave me the first quote in my signature. I think it's an interesting reflection on the meaning, not only of the Commandments, but of "being religious."
Rabbi Gershon wrote:

Shabbat Shalom
Wow - to carry God's name in vain. That brings to mind a totally different thought than what i have been taught.

Sounds like a mention of hypocrisy, claiming to be Christian while acting in a way that is not at all Christian.

Wow.
Michael - a happy Grandpa!

My blog of Inspirational Sayings and inspirational fiction can be read here at your leisure.

nygreenguy
Guru

Post #6

Post by nygreenguy »

inspirationalsayings wrote:
Wow - to carry God's name in vain. That brings to mind a totally different thought than what i have been taught.

Sounds like a mention of hypocrisy, claiming to be Christian while acting in a way that is not at all Christian.

Wow.
Believe it or not, not everyone is a christian.

Especially a rabbi.

and i carry gods name in vain every day. its good times.

gegraptai
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by gegraptai »

cnorman18 wrote:Do you agree with this interpretation, or application, of the Third Commandment?
Yes, I've always felt that the third commandment was speaking about not carrying the name of the Lord in vain. In other words, don't claim to belong to Him if you're not going to take it seriously. To do so is a vain persuit.
cnorman18 wrote:If a person who professes to be religious behaves in an unethical manner, does that bring shame upon religion and/or upon God?
Yes, without question.

Freethinker23
Student

Post #8

Post by Freethinker23 »

Growing up in a nominally Christian household, I was taught that this commandment meant not to say "G-d ____ it!" or the like.

However, I've now come to have a different take on the meaning, thanks in large part to Robert M. Price and Reuven Goldstein. Price says that he believes that point is that we should not invoke the name of God in a promise we cannot keep or do not intend to keep. For instance, if one were making a business contract and said "As sure as YHWH lives, I will keep deliver on my promise" and the person failed to fulfill their end of the bargain, that would be taking the Lord's name in vain.