Is killing non-human animals for food wrong?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Q
Student

Is killing non-human animals for food wrong?

Post #1

Post by Q »

While I have never been a vegetarian in the past, I find it harder and harder to morally justify eating meat. I suppose on the most fundamental level I have a problem with living things suffering, a condition readily apparent with the treatment of many cows, chickens, etc.

(1) Should humans avoid eating meat when the circumstances surrounding the animals' habitat cause suffering (e.g., baby cows kept in small confined spaces for purposes of veal production)? If it is okay, why?

(2) If animals do not suffer during the process (free range farming perhaps?), is killing them for food okay? Why or why not?

Please avoid discussing whether you think meat is necessary or not to a healthy diet, as I am really not concerned with that issue.

collosus
Student

Post #51

Post by collosus »

GOD ordered Israelites to eat lamb during Passover. Lambs, goats and chicken are consumed by numerous people through the chapters and verses in the bible. Jesus also ate meat.
GOD HIMSELF gave permission to eat meat (because originally, in Eden, Adam and Eve were vegetarians and animals were not eaten). The first occurrence when animals starting to die for humans is when GOD ripped open animal (or animals?) to make a clothing for Adam and Eve to cover their shame, after their violation of not eating from the Tree of Knowledge.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #52

Post by Clownboat »

collosus wrote: GOD ordered Israelites to eat lamb during Passover. Lambs, goats and chicken are consumed by numerous people through the chapters and verses in the bible. Jesus also ate meat.
GOD HIMSELF gave permission to eat meat (because originally, in Eden, Adam and Eve were vegetarians and animals were not eaten). The first occurrence when animals starting to die for humans is when GOD ripped open animal (or animals?) to make a clothing for Adam and Eve to cover their shame, after their violation of not eating from the Tree of Knowledge.
Humans are descended from those who migrated out of Africa some 50,000 or so years ago. Science also tells us that modern humans have Neanderthal DNA, and Neanderthals lived in Europe further back than that.

So unless this Adam and Eve you speak of were so for back in time that they were not at all what we would call 'Human', original sin, nor your vegetarian claims in some Magic Garden are not justified.

How did we get our Neanderthal DNA if your story is to be believed?
https://cosmosmagazine.com/life-science ... ls-live-us
https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderth ... me_project
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

collosus
Student

Post #53

Post by collosus »

according to the bible, current human races (3 races --> white, asian and black) are all direct descendants of Noah's 3 sons (each fathers one of aforementioned race) after the great flood obliterated every living thing with the exception to those already in Noah's ark.
it's always possible that the remains the scientist found were those obliterated by the great flood. as for neanderthals, I assume you mean gigantic humans like goliath? they've been mentioned in the bible pre flood era when "sons of GOD" came down to earth and mate with human females, their offspring became the giants.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #54

Post by Clownboat »

collosus wrote: according to the bible, current human races (3 races --> white, asian and black) are all direct descendants of Noah's 3 sons (each fathers one of aforementioned race) after the great flood obliterated every living thing with the exception to those already in Noah's ark.
it's always possible that the remains the scientist found were those obliterated by the great flood. as for neanderthals, I assume you mean gigantic humans like goliath? they've been mentioned in the bible pre flood era when "sons of GOD" came down to earth and mate with human females, their offspring became the giants.
Thank you for the fine example of the conclusions that religious holy books can lead us to.

Do you not have any evidence for your claims besides your chosen holy book? Would you be impressed if all a Muslim had for their claims was their preferred religious book? You wouldn't believe them or their holy book, so why would I believe yours? I would assume that if your claims were true, you could provide some info outside of your own religious promotional material.

You also were not able falsify any of the information that I presented (and I included 3 sources).

FYI, I was a garden of eden and flood believer for 2 decades by the way.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by Yahu »

collosus wrote: according to the bible, current human races (3 races --> white, asian and black) are all direct descendants of Noah's 3 sons (each fathers one of aforementioned race) after the great flood obliterated every living thing with the exception to those already in Noah's ark.
Where do you get Asian? Yes Japath is considered the father of Europeans and Ham means burnt but Cush, his son, means Black. The black race is from Cush. The Canaanites and north africans were descent of Ham as well. They are not black.

The point is several different skin colors came from the 3 sons of Noah. In your asumption that would make Shem the father of the Asians. Asians aren't a semetic people. And of course you are leaving out the brown race (India) and the red race of North america.