Questions and doubts

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Questions and doubts

Post #1

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Should a member of a church have questions and doubts regarding the religion of ones own? Should this church member analyze his own church critically? May he or she doubt whether the heads of the church take the right decisions?
I would have answered these questions with a loudly clear "no" still until few days ago. No because the beginning of faith would already be in my eyes lead to apostasy. I am no longer so sure today.
And I have to thank Nickman for it. A former member of my church (LDS); this one did not encourage me to believe everything blindly.
And I start with a journey now, I do not know the end. And I would like to ask all of you for it to support me with your questions, suggestions and prayers.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Nickman »

TM here is a great documentary about the Book of Abraham. They back up everything they say with experts in Egyptology.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Nickman wrote: TM here is a great documentary about the Book of Abraham. They back up everything they say with experts in Egyptology.

Can't see it.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Nickman »

The Mormon wrote:
Nickman wrote: TM here is a great documentary about the Book of Abraham. They back up everything they say with experts in Egyptology.

Can't see it.

I hope that one works. It worked in the preview

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

It has worked now. Thanks. But I have a question to this:
Was this ilm produced by Christians? Some of the arguments into this seem to be very "Christian" for me. Nevertheless very remarkable. It has helped me about the BoM and my still open questions. I used to think that Joseph Smith would have the "gift of the translation". I know now that he had lied to the people.
Result:

Smith and his church have lied about the first vision and the BoM. I examine now the live and the prophecies of Joseph Smith, and then I will take a decision. But as it looks, I will leave the LDS well.
This will cause in my marriage and with my family many problems. And it will turn out whether my husband loves me or whether he more loves his church.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Nickman »

The Mormon wrote: It has worked now. Thanks. But I have a question to this:
Was this ilm produced by Christians? Some of the arguments into this seem to be very "Christian" for me. Nevertheless very remarkable. It has helped me about the BoM and my still open questions. I used to think that Joseph Smith would have the "gift of the translation". I know now that he had lied to the people.
Result:

Smith and his church have lied about the first vision and the BoM. I examine now the live and the prophecies of Joseph Smith, and then I will take a decision. But as it looks, I will leave the LDS well.
This will cause in my marriage and with my family many problems. And it will turn out whether my husband loves me or whether he more loves his church.
It is made by christians yes, hence some religious overtones. Even though it is, it in no way is derogatory or what the church could consider ANTI material. It is just a documentary that provides the evidence.

I wish you the best in your personal life with your family.

JS was a very smart man. He was able to beguile people for 180 years so far. He took advantage of the world around him and the fact that he could say anything about an old text and no one could challenge him, because no one knew better. Luckily, today we still have much of his translations and original texts from the papyrus, with Egyptologists who can verify.

playhavock
Guru

Post #16

Post by playhavock »

The Mormon wrote: It has worked now. Thanks. But I have a question to this:
Result:

My marrage also was not helped by my being a skeptic towards the end, I think that without relgion we might have done better, but who can really say - if he truely loves you for who you are, then things will work - if not, well - I want to say that, whatever I can do as a human to get you though that tough thing - let me know, I'm still going though the process of divorce and it is very painfull at times - it is good to know that one is not alone in this world. You sertently are not alone.

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

playhavock wrote: My marrage also was not helped by my being a skeptic towards the end, I think that without relgion we might have done better, but who can really say - if he truely loves you for who you are, then things will work - if not, well - I want to say that, whatever I can do as a human to get you though that tough thing - let me know, I'm still going though the process of divorce and it is very painfull at times - it is good to know that one is not alone in this world. You sertently are not alone.
My husband has abused one of my children so that I stay in the church. He does not care whether I believe the church; what we convey only the image of a religious LDS family to other people. What a hypocrite!
I really am becoming to know my husband now. I was blind!

thepandemicson
Student

Post #18

Post by thepandemicson »

How has he abused your child? Is this something bad enough to call the cops about?

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

thepandemicson wrote: How has he abused your child? Is this something bad enough to call the cops about?
Perhaps was that the wrong word? Better would maybe the word "missused". He has instrumented our child. He asked my son to ask me whether I wanted to leave him and the church. I told him honestly after that that I would not know this. That I, however, have questions about the church which neither he nor my bishop could answer. Questions of basic importance. My son said (on behalf of his father, as I suspect) after that; that I should stay in the church. Otherwise he would feel forced not to be able to have contact to me.
So I am put under pressure!

thepandemicson
Student

Post #20

Post by thepandemicson »

I, for one, would like to say, what a cowardly act on the behalf of your husband, if that's what he did. Which is what it sounds like. Kids don't usually get it in their heads to question their folks about the legitimacy of their beliefs without prodding from another figure.

Have you confronted your husband about this? At the very least demand that if he has doubts about you that he talk to you face to face and not use your children against you like this?