The pressure of a church

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

The pressure of a church

Post #1

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Today, I would like to write about something what has concerned my thoughts for some time. The pressure of a church on their members. It is not only about my personal experiences with the LDS but about it that this which happens more or less in all churches seems to be a phenomenon.
Cause for this topic is the behavior of the members of my former church (LDS).
I am officially no more a member of the church now. I had written a letter to "good friends" in the church in whom I described my reasons for my leaving. At and I offered everyone, to contact me privately.
I hoped that the one or other "friend" of mine would come to thinking. I was probably too naive there!
I received letters, e-mails and calls. But not because the members had questions; but because they accused me.
A sister was so "kind" to inform me; that the bishop gave every member the "advice" in an address that they shouldn't contact me. Unless they would bring me on the "right path" again.
The members accused me of having lack faith or be on the path of apostacy, because I did not want to follow the words of the prophet any more. Yes, even adultery was imputed to me! I was threatened by an counselor of the bishop; That I would loose all the blessings of God and the church if I would further leave the church.. My answer was "God can kiss my ass!"
I was furious! I am still furious!
But it also shows me one thing:
The members cannot think independently. They are like robots which without opposition respond to orders.
The pressure in the RCC or with the southern baptists might not be so bad but for the one of this for persons affected, it is bad enough. So families are destroyed.
By the way "family": My future former husband has the divorce for court and applies for the only custody; and to be more precise with the reason; that I would be unsuitable as a mother. And to be more precise, because I would work.
If he wants a war, he can get a war. Good that I have a good contact to one of his employees.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Re: The pressure of a church

Post #11

Post by Choir Loft »

The Ex-Mormon wrote: Today, I would like to write about something what has concerned my thoughts for some time. The pressure of a church on their members. It is not only about my personal experiences with the LDS but about it that this which happens more or less in all churches seems to be a phenomenon.
Cause for this topic is the behavior of the members of my former church (LDS).
I am officially no more a member of the church now. I had written a letter to "good friends" in the church in whom I described my reasons for my leaving. At and I offered everyone, to contact me privately.
I hoped that the one or other "friend" of mine would come to thinking. I was probably too naive there!
I received letters, e-mails and calls. But not because the members had questions; but because they accused me.
A sister was so "kind" to inform me; that the bishop gave every member the "advice" in an address that they shouldn't contact me. Unless they would bring me on the "right path" again.
The members accused me of having lack faith or be on the path of apostacy, because I did not want to follow the words of the prophet any more. Yes, even adultery was imputed to me! I was threatened by an counselor of the bishop; That I would loose all the blessings of God and the church if I would further leave the church.. My answer was "God can kiss my ass!"
I was furious! I am still furious!
But it also shows me one thing:
The members cannot think independently. They are like robots which without opposition respond to orders.
The pressure in the RCC or with the southern baptists might not be so bad but for the one of this for persons affected, it is bad enough. So families are destroyed.
By the way "family": My future former husband has the divorce for court and applies for the only custody; and to be more precise with the reason; that I would be unsuitable as a mother. And to be more precise, because I would work.
If he wants a war, he can get a war. Good that I have a good contact to one of his employees.
Technically, the LDS is not a church. The group is considered to be a cult because its basic theology departs from ancient Judeo-Christian traditions.

For example, Christians believe that the Biblical story begins in a place on Earth called Eden. LDS believe their point of origin was the Kolob star system. Does this make them cultists or Kolobians? Let the reader decide.

Should we also venture into a discussion about Mormon magic underwear - that which is worn by those who have graduated from the Mormon Endowment Ceremony? The rest of society usually discovers endowment when underwear is removed rather than when its put on, but that's just an academic question I suppose.

Every major religion has a base document. The Torah, the New Testament, the Qur'an, etc. LDS has a fictitious set of golden plates or tablets upon which were written the tenants of their faith - except that they've disappeared. Apparently used to pay debts incurred by their transition from western New York state to Utah, the gold tablets are nowhere to be found. Did Joseph Smith, the founder, loose them on the way west? The legend is so far from reality that not even the most ardent treasure hunter has ever attempted a search.

Consider yourself fortunate - ye who have escaped from the clutches of this cult.

Jesus Christ came to America only in the sermons and deeds of His disciples and the actions of the Holy Spirit. Palmyra, NY is just a tourist spot not a point of divine revelation.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Richard, meanwhile I believe nothing. Neither the lies of the LDS nor the lies of the Christianity, the Judaism or the Islam. Then if one looks more exactly, all churches have more myths and legends than provable facts.
I have recently found out interesting a little very much about Jesus Christ:

redeemer figures /savior figures who have had similarities to the life and the teachings of Jesus, there is a lot of. To mention only some:

Mitras, Horus and a God from India whose name, at the moment, does not occur to me. Here some evidence for this:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5.htm

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jksadegh ... an_God.pdf

http://jdstone.org/cr/files/mithraschristianity.html

And here something from YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIMFz5ZKDVo

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Nickman »

The Ex-Mormon wrote:

Many of them leave the church, some stay in her. Why do they stay in the church? It cannot be the belief that this church is true! What did you think, Nick is the reasons to stay in the church?
I don't think that there is any reason to stay in something you know to be false. It makes us hypocritical. The church does have some good aspects but those aspects can be achieved by any one without the church. They are not exclusive to the church. The church doesn't have a monopoly on anything. You can be happy without it and have a more fulfilling life.

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Nickman wrote:
The Ex-Mormon wrote:

Many of them leave the church, some stay in her. Why do they stay in the church? It cannot be the belief that this church is true! What did you think, Nick is the reasons to stay in the church?
I don't think that there is any reason to stay in something you know to be false. It makes us hypocritical. The church does have some good aspects but those aspects can be achieved by any one without the church. They are not exclusive to the church. The church doesn't have a monopoly on anything. You can be happy without it and have a more fulfilling life.
There is a Swiss who was a member of the LDS; and this one had critically often spoken about the church. He lives near Geneva (French Switzerland) and is related with me (my cousin 2nd degrees). He had left the church and is a part of the church again now. I only can suspect why this is so. It was the pressure of his family, the fear of being able to see his children never again if he did not play the good Mormon.
Natural would be this hypocrisy!
But understandable, or?

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Nickman »

The Ex-Mormon wrote:
Nickman wrote:
The Ex-Mormon wrote:

There is a Swiss who was a member of the LDS; and this one had critically often spoken about the church. He lives near Geneva (French Switzerland) and is related with me (my cousin 2nd degrees). He had left the church and is a part of the church again now. I only can suspect why this is so. It was the pressure of his family, the fear of being able to see his children never again if he did not play the good Mormon.
Natural would be this hypocrisy!
But understandable, or?
Agreed. The main reason people would continue to stay in any relationship that they know to be false or wrong would be out of fear of something.

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Great, that we share the same opinion.