Homosexuality

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

razovor
Student

Homosexuality

Post #1

Post by razovor »

I was wondering if anyone who considers homosexuality a sin, could tell me what is wrong with it.

I'm talking in the sense of utilitarian morals. How does homosexual intercourse, or homosexual marriage, increase the suffering in the world?

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Re: Homosexuality

Post #201

Post by Ooberman »

Goat wrote:
pmprcv wrote:
Goat wrote:How do you know what God said wants for family and homosexuality.
Cathechism, Bible, doctrine. (Finally, an on-topic question)
So, you are basically accepting other people's words and interpretations about what God wants, rather than knowing yourself.
Yes, it appears he will simply rest on and argument that it's "TRADITION!". I'm sure there will be a long series of apologetic argument that appease any questions he might have, but I'm not seeing how that "argument tree" would look.

I'd like to see how one argues for the Divine Origin of various texts about God, then the process of collecting it, editing, abridging, etc...

If we are to accept this, then God is simply a creation of Man - written into a book and declared authentic by some guys a few thousand years ago.

I think we are owed more than that.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

pmprcv
Apprentice

Post #202

Post by pmprcv »

Goat wrote: So, you are basically accepting other people's words and interpretations about what God wants, rather than knowing yourself.
You are assuming that, because I know it through these sources, I do not know it myself, and that I don't agree with it because of my own logic and reasoning, but because I read it.

That's cool, if that's what you want to believe. But it's not the truth. I do believe in Catholic teachings, not because I was told, but because, as a rational and thinking person, they make the most sense to me, vs all the alternatives.

But again, if you want to dismiss it all just because, that's fine by me.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #203

Post by Goat »

pmprcv wrote:
Goat wrote: So, you are basically accepting other people's words and interpretations about what God wants, rather than knowing yourself.
You are assuming that, because I know it through these sources, I do not know it myself, and that I don't agree with it because of my own logic and reasoning, but because I read it.

That's cool, if that's what you want to believe. But it's not the truth. I do believe in Catholic teachings, not because I was told, but because, as a rational and thinking person, they make the most sense to me, vs all the alternatives.

Why, then it is 'tradition, and because I said so'.

It seem rather egotistical to say "God wants this", when you have no way of actually showing that is what God wants.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #204

Post by Ooberman »

pmprcv wrote:

I'll dismiss it. I don't think you know what you are talking about when you say, paraphrasing, "God wants what my religion says".

I'd feel more comfortable if God told me, or someone had better reasons.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

Wissing
Apprentice

Post #205

Post by Wissing »

If you guys want to talk about how to decide whether a certain source is trustworthy or not, why not discuss a more relevant book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexua ... _and_Women

or perhaps some relevant statistics:
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/basics/ataglance.html

Not that the bible isn't relevant, but for those who don't consider it so, there are other options.

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Post #206

Post by The Me's »

razovor wrote: I was wondering if anyone who considers homosexuality a sin, could tell me what is wrong with it.

I'm talking in the sense of utilitarian morals. How does homosexual intercourse, or homosexual marriage, increase the suffering in the world?
Any time I dare to give my opinion of homosexuality, I face retribution from the LGBT community. Somehow, it has become anathema to have an opinion on the subject.

THAT is immoral, and it's an indication of the character of the community.

I'd like to see more gays talking about the apparent anti-Christian trend among their members.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #207

Post by Ooberman »

The Me's wrote:
razovor wrote: I was wondering if anyone who considers homosexuality a sin, could tell me what is wrong with it.

Any time I dare to give my opinion of homosexuality, I face retribution from the LGBT community. Somehow, it has become anathema to have an opinion on the subject.
Aw, it must be so horrible...
THAT is immoral, and it's an indication of the character of the community.

I'd like to see more gays talking about the apparent anti-Christian trend among their members.
Blame the victim? So, your religion tells them they are bad, and you are the one who is persecuted... wow.

Just. Wow.