What is an "innocent civilian"?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

RobertUrbanek
Apprentice

What is an "innocent civilian"?

Post #1

Post by RobertUrbanek »

What is an “innocent civilian� during war? In World War II, the Allies bombed munitions factories. Were the civilians working in those factories “innocent�?

If a civilian contractor transports supplies to a war zone are the employees “innocent�? Is he or she innocent if the supplies are food and clothes but “not innocent� if the supplies are weapons? Where do you draw the line?

Could one argue that a civilian who provides ANY material support for a war effort, including paying taxes, is NOT an innocent civilian?

People discussing this subject often refer to “innocent women and children.� Does that mean there is no such thing as an “innocent� young man?
Untroubled, scornful, outrageous — That is how wisdom wants us to be. She is a woman and never loves anyone but a warrior — Friedrich Nietzsche

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

I don't know what is causing that stench from those smoke stacks, but I do know it is not my problem. :whistle:

razovor
Student

Re: What is an "innocent civilian"?

Post #3

Post by razovor »

RobertUrbanek wrote:Could one argue that a civilian who provides ANY material support for a war effort, including paying taxes, is NOT an innocent civilian?
One could argue that. It would depend on their code of morals. There certainly are codes that prohibit all war. As a humanist, I would argue that war sometimes serves a greater good, so civilians, and soldiers assisting the war effort would be innocent of wrongdoing.
RobertUrbanek wrote:People discussing this subject often refer to “innocent women and children.� Does that mean there is no such thing as an “innocent� young man?
I'm pretty sure they're just being sexist. Men are no less moral than women.

cnorman18

Re: What is an "innocent civilian"?

Post #4

Post by cnorman18 »

RobertUrbanek wrote:
People discussing this subject often refer to “innocent women and children.� Does that mean there is no such thing as an “innocent� young man?
I think it's just a matter of emphasis. I've always read that phrase as a shortened form of "innocent civilians, including women and children."