The reason behind good deeds

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Corvus
Guru

The reason behind good deeds

Post #1

Post by Corvus »

For what reason do we do good deeds? What are the motives behind them?
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Travis
Student

Post #2

Post by Travis »

For what reason do we do good deeds? What are the motives behind them?
I have often pondered this very question. I still have yet to find a satisfactory answer. To my naked eye, all good deeds seem to be the result of an inate selfishness.

If man is supposedly in a fallen state why cant this be true? Can we truly reach an 'agape' state in our relations with one another?

At one point in my life i believed this was possible...I'm not so sure anymore. I believed that by helping others I was truly being selfless, but in the end isnt it either for your own unconcious gratification or borne of fear in a supreme being? Is there something else that drives this? (Other than the obvious things like guilt, and remorse.) I guess I have no foundation here, only questions.
What is the first business of one who practices philosophy? To get rid of self-conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he thinks he already knows.
- Epictetus (Discourses)

Corvus
Guru

Post #3

Post by Corvus »

Wow, you surmised the point of my post instantly. Am I that transparent?

Nothing kills debate like agreement. :?

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Travis wrote:To my naked eye, all good deeds seem to be the result of an inate selfishness.
But, is having pleasure/gratification for self necessarily bad?

I've created a new thread to ponder this:
Legitimate pleasure - When is pleasure good? When is it bad?

seekinghokmah
Student

Post #5

Post by seekinghokmah »

To my naked eye, all good deeds seem to be the result of an inate selfishness.
Is it correct to assume that your motives can never be pure?
Jesus said "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind and all your strength, and love your neighbor as yourself" since all laws flow from this one. In other words, for a truly regenerate soul good deeds will come as a natural result of loving God...not out of obedience to a rule, or fear of punishment..or for selfish gain. It is impossible to attain by our own power, but "with God all things are possible".
However...even if the motives are "selfish", if by doing good deeds in this world we are shaping who we will be in the world to come are we the only ones who benefit? Can't we accomplish both simultaneously, and since good deeds draw us nearer to God aren't we then fulfilling Jesus command to love Him...and simply reaping as a natural result of fulfilling it?
Good questions, when answered, always lead to better ones.

Angry McFurious
Student

Re: The reason behind good deeds

Post #6

Post by Angry McFurious »

Corvus wrote:For what reason do we do good deeds? What are the motives behind them?
I think it really depends on the situtation. Comforting an attractive person for personal gain or helping an older person out of kindness. Just depends.
:dance: ~Jews Rock~ :dance:

concerro
Apprentice

Re: The reason behind good deeds

Post #7

Post by concerro »

Corvus wrote:For what reason do we do good deeds? What are the motives behind them?
It depend on the situation. There have been times when I was helping someone for my own benefit but did not realise it, but there have been times when I have made sacrafices for someone knowing they could never repay me

Persona

Post #8

Post by Persona »

i actually think that i behave morally because i care about other people.

Corvus
Guru

Post #9

Post by Corvus »

But that doesn't explain why you behave morally to those particular people. I say "those particular people" because I have great doubts you would give the shirt off your back to a homeless man begging for change. Likely you care about some people because a) you like them b)you were born into a community in which their opinion of you could actually matter. Likely you do good by them because it makes you feel good. Instances of self-sacrifice for others, in which the pain far outweighs the pleasure received, are rare indeed.
However...even if the motives are "selfish", if by doing good deeds in this world we are shaping who we will be in the world to come are we the only ones who benefit? Can't we accomplish both simultaneously, and since good deeds draw us nearer to God aren't we then fulfilling Jesus command to love Him...and simply reaping as a natural result of fulfilling it?
I commend you for coming to this conclusion, which most people shy from. We can glorify the world (or god) through poor intentions that yield good results. Once, with the best of intentions, I caused quite destructive results. I am glad I am no longer in a situation where I have to decide. I am being cryptic for a purpose, of course.

I know that I think therefore I am/exist. Because of this, all ethical arguments must proceed from this notable axiom, so I try to construct ethical systems that rely upon in order to have a system both sound and valid (not to mention palatable) that does not rely on the belief of God. This is not to say I always behave rationally. I merely construct systems for a rational method of behaviour.

To quote Andre Gide (for the nth time)
True, I have often been glad to justify my acts to myself by a doctrine, even by a complete system of ordered thought; but at other times, I could not help suspecting that I was merely providing a shelter for my sensuality.

Persona

Post #10

Post by Persona »

Corvus wrote:

But that doesn't explain why you behave morally to those particular people. I say "those particular people" because I have great doubts you would give the shirt off your back to a homeless man begging for change. Likely you care about some people because a) you like them b)you were born into a community in which their opinion of you could actually matter. Likely you do good by them because it makes you feel good. Instances of self-sacrifice for others, in which the pain far outweighs the pleasure received, are rare indeed.
i've given money to charity without telling anyone. the charity was for children in africa. i really missed that money. whatever good feeling i felt is certainly not worth $500 (in fact, whenever i think about it i tend to think about what else i could have done with the money.) is it really so hard to believe that people can care about (and make sacrifices for) people they have never met?