Telemarketed to death.

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

Telemarketed to death.

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

I know that our vice president is assuring us that the economy is turning around. However, a good portion of my work day is now spent talking to agressive telemarketers. There is a no call list for personal numbers, but businesses are public access lines. I really understand that these people are dire straights, but I've got work to do. By the way the google robocalls are even worse. Is it right to just say no thank you and hang up?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Telemarketed to death.

Post #2

Post by Goat »

bluethread wrote: I know that our vice president is assuring us that the economy is turning around. However, a good portion of my work day is now spent talking to agressive telemarketers. There is a no call list for personal numbers, but businesses are public access lines. I really understand that these people are dire straights, but I've got work to do. By the way the google robocalls are even worse. Is it right to just say no thank you and hang up?
Absolutely... and to also say 'Please put me on your no contact list... we do not need or want your services'
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Jacob Simonsky
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Jacob Simonsky »

[Replying to post 1 by bluethread]

If you have the patience to say anything nice before hanging up you are a better person than I.
Please do not ask me to provide evidence of what I claim. I have no interest in persuading anyone to believe as I do.

Jew, Christian and Muslim... all equal in G-d's eye.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Danmark »

bluethread wrote: I know that our vice president is assuring us that the economy is turning around. However, a good portion of my work day is now spent talking to agressive telemarketers. There is a no call list for personal numbers, but businesses are public access lines. I really understand that these people are dire straights, but I've got work to do. By the way the google robocalls are even worse. Is it right to just say no thank you and hang up?
Since you wrote this almost a year ago it has gotten worse. I never answer calls anymore unless the caller ID is from someone I know. The result is that my telephone is not as functional; I miss some calls. To me it is worth it.

Junk mail presents the same problem. It's too easy to throw away something you want to read. Easy to miss the needle in the haystack. If it were up to me, I'd raise the rates on bulk mail, to at least the same as 1st Class.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Kuan »

Out of curiosity, what do y'all think of door to door solicitors?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

Kuan wrote: Out of curiosity, what do y'all think of door to door solicitors?
I despise them. I feel they are an intrusion on my privacy, a waste of time, and extremely annoying.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 1 by bluethread]

Is it right to just say no thank you and hang up?

It is right just to hang up on any unwanted and unsolicited calls. Although it would be more effective to string them along for as long as you can. Waste their time, while debating here, writing whatever it is you need to write, or doing other somewhat routine tasks.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Danmark »

Goat wrote:
Kuan wrote: Out of curiosity, what do y'all think of door to door solicitors?
I despise them. I feel they are an intrusion on my privacy, a waste of time, and extremely annoying.
I have mixed feelings. My home is my retreat. I like to be left alone. OTOH at least the door to door man has gone to the trouble to walk up to my door. And it takes a certain amount of fortitude, if not courage, to walk up to a stranger's door and knock, knowing the first reaction is likely to be rejection. The telephone solicitor is lower on my pantheon of pests.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Danmark »

McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 1 by bluethread]

Is it right to just say no thank you and hang up?

It is right just to hang up on any unwanted and unsolicited calls. Although it would be more effective to string them along for as long as you can. Waste their time, while debating here, writing whatever it is you need to write, or doing other somewhat routine tasks.
I've done that with political callers, for exactly the reasons you mention. I'm not a good actor and soon I am playing myself. Then they hang up. :D

I had a friend who ran for public office. I had to tell him 'no,' I could not do telephone solicitations for him. Calling it a 'loathsome' occupation is overstatement, but I like the sound of the word.

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by SailingCyclops »

Goat wrote: Absolutely... and to also say 'Please put me on your no contact list... we do not need or want your services'
I don't receive any nuisance calls. Why waste your breadth? Just block them all! Digitone Call Blocker

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis