Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

St. Anger
Apprentice

an annoyance

Post #1

Post by St. Anger »

This story is entirely hypothetical...

What if I have a kid, say, three years old, who has been very annoying to me and my wife of late. I begin to regret not aborting the little sniveler, and decide to strangle him to death, seeing no reason why it matters if I had killed him before he was born, or after. Was my (hypothetical) decision and action wrong?
“The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man.�

G.K. Chesterton

Am I buggin' you? Don't mean ta' bug ya'!

Bono

I am Death. Vengeance is mine! God's fury rains down on you!

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: what are you?

Post #21

Post by Goat »

bluethread wrote:
Goat wrote:
Overcomer wrote: I think it depends on whether you're an atheist or a Christian.

If you're a Christian, you know that all life is sacred and comes from God. Therefore, all human beings have value, including your child. Therefore, you would love and protect your child.

If you're an atheist and you think we're all just accidents of nature, then what would make that child more important than a housefly or an earthworm? In that case, the child becomes truly dispensable.

Of course, you could be an atheist who borrows his value system from Christianity and then you would behave as a Christian and love and protect your child and never even consider getting rid of him.
Then, isn't it amazing how many atheists love and protect their child more than some Christians do? One of my friends is gay, and volunteers at the local gay community center. There are a number of kids that come in that are 16 or 17 that were kicked out of the Christian parents house because they were gay.

Can you just imagine that?
So, parents are required to accept responsibility when their children become sexually active, even if they have made it clear that they oppose that activity?
So, disciplining kids mean kicking them out of the house at age 16? Is that what you are saying?

Or , tossing them out, because they are attracted to someone to the same sex, even if they are not active? Is that what you are saying?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

10CC
Banned
Banned

Re: what are you?

Post #22

Post by 10CC »

bluethread wrote:
Goat wrote:
Overcomer wrote: I think it depends on whether you're an atheist or a Christian.

If you're a Christian, you know that all life is sacred and comes from God. Therefore, all human beings have value, including your child. Therefore, you would love and protect your child.

If you're an atheist and you think we're all just accidents of nature, then what would make that child more important than a housefly or an earthworm? In that case, the child becomes truly dispensable.

Of course, you could be an atheist who borrows his value system from Christianity and then you would behave as a Christian and love and protect your child and never even consider getting rid of him.
Then, isn't it amazing how many atheists love and protect their child more than some Christians do? One of my friends is gay, and volunteers at the local gay community center. There are a number of kids that come in that are 16 or 17 that were kicked out of the Christian parents house because they were gay.

Can you just imagine that?
So, parents are required to accept responsibility when their children become sexually active, even if they have made it clear that they oppose that activity?
Accepting responsibility is what all should do, in order that we live in a harmonious civilization.
I'll tell you everything I've learned...................
and LOVE is all he said

-The Boy With The Moon and Star On His Head-Cat Stevens.