Christianity and its effect on Relationships

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

slyracoon
Student

Christianity and its effect on Relationships

Post #1

Post by slyracoon »

So let me post a background so my question doesn't sound completley strange and awkward. I am a non religious guy currently dating a VERY religious girl, we are both 17 years old. It has become apparent to her that a relationship between her and I cannnot exist because I dont share the same beliefs as her. According to her she believes that in a relationship you should be working your way towards God in order to be close with your significant other. Ive taken part in doing a little research in order to gain a little more perspective on the whole religion thing concerning Christianity, but to me there are so many loop holes that I cannot seem to make sense of, as my sense of logic just doesnt click :| I have two questions. 1. Is there any defining proof that someone can refer to to simply prove God's existence? and 2. Should I continue to see this girl? I could never envision a world where people are made to change for the benefit of others but her and I have been through quite a lot and I think its fair to say we are both very attached, but the religious barrier seems to create this huge problem. Any thoughts/ideas/advice?

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Christianity and its effect on Relationships

Post #2

Post by Bust Nak »

slyracoon wrote: Is there any defining proof that someone can refer to to simply prove God's existence?
None that could convince a skeptic. There are many well known arguments and each have their own flaws.
Should I continue to see this girl?
Only you can answer that. Is she worth it?
I could never envision a world where people are made to change for the benefit of others but her and I have been through quite a lot and I think its fair to say we are both very attached, but the religious barrier seems to create this huge problem. Any thoughts/ideas/advice?
My other half is religious there had been some problems, but I don't know if I would blame that on her personal view or her religious view, i.e. I don't know if those problems would have existed, had she not been religious. But so far (I am not happy with giving out personal information, let just say many years) they are problems that can be resolved by compromise. Good luck.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

slyracoon wrote: Any thoughts/ideas/advice?
Unfortunately a difference in religious beliefs can indeed be the nemesis of an otherwise potentially great relationship.

If she is absolutely convinced that a relationship must be focused on "God" especially as seen through the eyes of a specific dogmatic religion, and you are totally convinced that the dogma in question most likely has nothing at all to do with any "God". Then you're definitely heading for trouble.

This is especially true if neither of you have the slightest intention of ever changing your beliefs. It's going to amount to a difference of opinion that will never go away.

For you to pretend that this God exists would be to live a lie. You most certainly don't want to live a lie. That would be a pretentious life.

I would personally say that if a woman has already placed a God before me then she's already married. She cannot have two husbands. Thus there's no point in her marrying me at that point anyway. Apparently she already has a husband in her imaginary God.

And if she believes that the Bible is the "Word of God" then clearly she's married to dogma as well.

Do you really want to play second fiddle to an ancient myth?

If not, you're far better off seeking a woman who holds beliefs about reality that are more in harmony with your own.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by YahDough »

slyracoon wrote: So let me post a background so my question doesn't sound completley strange and awkward. I am a non religious guy currently dating a VERY religious girl, we are both 17 years old. It has become apparent to her that a relationship between her and I cannnot exist because I dont share the same beliefs as her. According to her she believes that in a relationship you should be working your way towards God in order to be close with your significant other. Ive taken part in doing a little research in order to gain a little more perspective on the whole religion thing concerning Christianity, but to me there are so many loop holes that I cannot seem to make sense of, as my sense of logic just doesnt click :| I have two questions. 1. Is there any defining proof that someone can refer to to simply prove God's existence? and 2. Should I continue to see this girl? I could never envision a world where people are made to change for the benefit of others but her and I have been through quite a lot and I think its fair to say we are both very attached, but the religious barrier seems to create this huge problem. Any thoughts/ideas/advice?
1. God is more than able to prove Himself, but we need to be willing to take a first step toward God with repentance and seed faith.

2. My suggestion is to have your girlfriend and her Church and family pray for you and the relationship. Of course I am assuming she has a Church and/or parents that believe. You should be open to that if you value the relationship and the truth. Let God take it from there. Blessings to you. :)

slyracoon
Student

Post #5

Post by slyracoon »

[Replying to post 2 by Bust Nak]

I wouldnt class myself as a skeptic, I've reached out before but to no avail. Ive gone to church a couple times and the preacher will contradict himself in everything that he says. If there is proof that "God" exists, that makes logical sense then I would not refute the evidence, but I cannot seem to get a definitive answer out of anyone. Thank you, I think I'll need that luck.

slyracoon
Student

Post #6

Post by slyracoon »

[Replying to post 4 by YahDough]

I already took the first step, Ive made a few prayers in the past months, I've been to church. Nothing happens. Unless he hates me for some unknown reason then he hasnt proved his existence to me, even after I took the first step.

Open to having her family and such pray for me, yes I am open to it, and I value the relationship, but truth is a very controversial term to use when concerning religion.
Thank you for the adive

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Goat »

slyracoon wrote: [Replying to post 4 by YahDough]

I already took the first step, Ive made a few prayers in the past months, I've been to church. Nothing happens. Unless he hates me for some unknown reason then he hasnt proved his existence to me, even after I took the first step.

Open to having her family and such pray for me, yes I am open to it, and I value the relationship, but truth is a very controversial term to use when concerning religion.
Thank you for the adive

I think an important thing is that you are honest with each other. I don't know if that will 'help' the relationship in the long run, but, if you are both honest with each other, you both know where the other is coming from, and there are no undue surprises.

Also, be honest with yourself, and to your own self be true.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by YahDough »

slyracoon wrote: [Replying to post 4 by YahDough]

Thank you for the adive
Your welcome, but I hope you are being completely honest about the first step you said you took. Repentance and seed faith is the beginning of a sincere walk with God. Have you had the baptism of repentance?

slyracoon
Student

Post #9

Post by slyracoon »

[Replying to post 8 by YahDough]

just an update of events, me and her broke up :L i tried to have a conversation with her and she wouldnt listen my opinions so we broke up

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #10

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 9 by slyracoon]Better luck next time.