The weight of supposed Sins (Absurd)

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

You have to do one of the two; steal a pencil or commit Genocide. Which would you rather do?

Steal a pencil
89%
Commit Genocide
11%

Total votes: 9

slyracoon
Student

The weight of supposed Sins (Absurd)

Post #1

Post by slyracoon »

Something has been on my mind the past couple of days and has driven me crazy for the most part. Sinning claims to have the same immoral weight with any sin, whether its murder or theft, and one can be forgiven (hypothetically) by "God" if they truly show remorse for their actions. But lets take 911, a terrorist attack that was claimed to be justified by Al Qaeda as the will of "God" (or Allah, which is arabic for god). They practically committed Genocide, but if they were truly remorseful of their actions then they would be forgiven? And also, committing Genocide carries the same weight as stealing a pack of gum? (In the eyes of Christianity)

Is it me or is this completely absurd?
A lot of people would not regard theft as a terrible thing, but murder is something in this society that people can be condemned to life in prison for. Its so ridiculous that someone can get away with such atrocities (like genocide) and have it come off with the same moral weight as small things such as general shoplifting (like stealing a pack of gum)

Thanks for listening

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: The weight of supposed Sins (Absurd)

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

slyracoon wrote: Is it me or is this completely absurd?
It's completely absurd.

These myths come from a very barbaric society that supports male-chauvinism in the name of God. They also support the killing of non-believers of their God as well in the Old Testament.

In fact, here's something else that is absolutely absurd.

Modern day Christians will be the first to renounce a culture like the Taliban for the way they treat their woman and the way they treat non-believers or anyone who openly renounces their religion. Yet this is precisely the type of behavior depicted in the Old Testament. The Taliban are basically a modern version of these ancient people who wrote these myths. They are behaving in the same way as these ancient barbarians who wrote the Bible.

And ironically the Christians who basically worship the Bible as the "Word of God" find this biblical behavior to be utterly immoral and detestable.

So yes, it's absurd.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

slyracoon
Student

Post #3

Post by slyracoon »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

What an insane world we live in....

keithprosser3

Post #4

Post by keithprosser3 »

Depends..... is it the French?

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by YahDough »

slyracoon wrote: Something has been on my mind the past couple of days and has driven me crazy for the most part. Sinning claims to have the same immoral weight with any sin, whether its murder or theft, and one can be forgiven (hypothetically) by "God" if they truly show remorse for their actions. But lets take 911, a terrorist attack that was claimed to be justified by Al Qaeda as the will of "God" (or Allah, which is arabic for god). They practically committed Genocide, but if they were truly remorseful of their actions then they would be forgiven? And also, committing Genocide carries the same weight as stealing a pack of gum? (In the eyes of Christianity)

Is it me or is this completely absurd?
A lot of people would not regard theft as a terrible thing, but murder is something in this society that people can be condemned to life in prison for. Its so ridiculous that someone can get away with such atrocities (like genocide) and have it come off with the same moral weight as small things such as general shoplifting (like stealing a pack of gum)

Thanks for listening
There are sins that are worse than others. I don't know where you get the dogma that all sins are equal. That's not sound doctrine.

But all sin is against the rules of God, and without forgiveness the punishment for sin is death.

Rom:6:23: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

YahDough wrote: There are sins that are worse than others. I don't know where you get the dogma that all sins are equal. That's not sound doctrine.
But this is sound doctrine and you've just verified it below:
YahDough wrote: But all sin is against the rules of God, and without forgiveness the punishment for sin is death.
The punishment for sin is death. Therefore all sins necessarily result in the very same punishment. Thus in terms of punishment all sins are necessarily equal.
YahDough wrote: Rom:6:23: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
This is an oxymoron.

Isn't Jesus Christ himself supposed to be ALIVE? Isn't Jesus supposed to be a LIVING SPIRIT or a LIVING GOD?

If the wages of sin is death, as you've just pointed out, then Jesus could not have paid the wages of sin for anyone if he's supposedly ALIVE.

So there is no such thing as "sound doctrine" in Christianity because the rumors of Jesus all lead to paradox and contradiction. Thus they cannot possibly be true.
[center]Image
[/center]

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

Hi sylracoon,

If you are driving a car and you crash into another car the fine/repairs/total cost you pay depends on the type of car you crash in to. Hit a Ferrari and mortgage your house, hit a 20 year old bomb and probably an apology is all you need.

So it appears that there are two conclusions. Yours or Christianity's, where we think our sins, even slight, are against something infinitely valuable. So even the smallest sins cannot be repaid.

Does that make sense now?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote: So it appears that there are two conclusions. Yours or Christianity's, where we think our sins, even slight, are against something infinitely valuable. So even the smallest sins cannot be repaid.

Does that make sense now?
According to the rumors of Jesus sins can easily be forgiven. In fact, according to the Jesus rumors even you can forgive the sins of others. Where does Jesus mention anything about sins needing to be "repaid"?

So no, the idea that sins need to be repaid at all makes no sense to me in terms of Christianity. Sins do not need to be repaid they merely need to be forgiven, and even you can forgive sins.

In fact, here it is straight from these Jesus rumors themselves:

Luke.6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

"Forgive and ye shall be forgiven"

There is no mention of any repayments required. Clearly you have the ability to forgive others of the sins they commit against you, and if you do, then according to Jesus (or Luke's Gospel rumors of Jesus) then you shall be forgiven as well.

So no repayment of any kind is required. All you need to do is forgive others and you will be forgiven. So you have the power to forgive others of their sins against you, and in doing this you will have earned the right on your own merit to be forgiven for any sins you may have committed against anyone.

Apparently you don't need Jesus at all. According to Jesus all you need to do is forgive others and you will automatically be forgiven. It's that simple. ;)

Buddha taught the same thing and that's probably where Jesus got his ideas because this is clearly a departure from the Old Testament where only God can forgive sins. And Jesus departed from the Old Testament quite a bit.
[center]Image
[/center]

slyracoon
Student

Post #9

Post by slyracoon »

[Replying to post 8 by Divine Insight]

Through this thought process we can already see what the bible is....if you do anything wrong, a big all powerful being comes and punishes you, the bible, to me at least, is a fable. A set of stories teaching morality, much like the fables we read to children in order to provide an "appropriate" upbringing for children. My mother has always told me, "Treat others how you want to be treated" (she is not religious keep in mind) Yet this is the exact same thing that Luke 6.37 claims to teach? The world does need structure, yes. But morality is what keeps structure. The bible is just a story that some people tell to their children so they behave and grow up to be respectable human beings.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #10

Post by Divine Insight »

slyracoon wrote: My mother has always told me, "Treat others how you want to be treated" (she is not religious keep in mind) Yet this is the exact same thing that Luke 6.37 claims to teach? The world does need structure, yes. But morality is what keeps structure. The bible is just a story that some people tell to their children so they behave and grow up to be respectable human beings.
Treating others as you would like to be treated did not originate with Jesus. This ideal had been taught thousands of years before Jesus was ever born. Buddha certainly taught this ideal at least 500 years before Jesus. And Buddha wasn't the first to teach it either.

Moreover, treating others as you would have them treat you is not biblical in terms of the Old Testament. On the contrary the Old Testament teaches people to seek revenge as in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

Jesus even rebuked that:

Matthew 5:
[38] Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
[39] But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Here we have Jesus flat-out rebuking the jots and tittle of the Old Testament.

The Christians are the ones who are attempting to make Jesus out to be "The Christ". It's far more likely that if this man named Jesus ever lived he was most certainly not "The Christ".

So Christianity doesn't really have anything to do with Jesus other than the fact that they try to make him out to be something that he most likely was not.
[center]Image
[/center]