The Bible Says So....

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Sntrose
Student

The Bible Says So....

Post #1

Post by Sntrose »

This is directed to my Christian friends here, coming from an atheist. I have been reading through some of the posts here, and I keep running across the same thing. It's got me very confused. Why is it that when asked a moral question, the answer is "because it is in the Bible." ? The line of logic seems to stop there.

Usually, it is accompanied by a quote from Scripture, and then something along the lines of, "it's clearly in the Bible. So that's why it's a sin. The Bible says so."

What it is about this book that I'm not getting? What kind of book is there that could possibly be so infallible that you would never question it's contents? Nothing can be wrong? Not even a translation error? As long as it's in the Bible, you can relax...it must be right! It's in the Bible. So we don't have to think any more?

I sincerely do not intend this to be insulting. I mean it as a question. Read this in a happy voice...not a sarcastic one. That is the tone I intend...and would prefer the answers to be in....

;)

Daddieslittlehelper
Scholar

Re: The Bible Says So....

Post #261

Post by Daddieslittlehelper »

Sntrose wrote: This is directed to my Christian friends here, coming from an atheist. I have been reading through some of the posts here, and I keep running across the same thing. It's got me very confused. Why is it that when asked a moral question, the answer is "because it is in the Bible." ? The line of logic seems to stop there.

Usually, it is accompanied by a quote from Scripture, and then something along the lines of, "it's clearly in the Bible. So that's why it's a sin. The Bible says so."

What it is about this book that I'm not getting? What kind of book is there that could possibly be so infallible that you would never question it's contents? Nothing can be wrong? Not even a translation error? As long as it's in the Bible, you can relax...it must be right! It's in the Bible. So we don't have to think any more?

I sincerely do not intend this to be insulting. I mean it as a question. Read this in a happy voice...not a sarcastic one. That is the tone I intend...and would prefer the answers to be in....

;)
All relates to who you are speaking with. Ultimately the Torah is Gods advice, Gods teaching. The bible does not so much tell you what to do, rather it tries to impart guidence and Wisdom, so that in different situations you have an idea of what a rightous person should do.

Most stories try to do this actually, impart knowlegde to the reader.

Important you see the difference between Obeying Gods Laws- which is what the church generally tells people, compared with a more better translated understanding of: Respecting Gods teaching.

Sadly most translations of the old testament are terrible; and questions and comments like yours, are really, born out of these terrrible translations and the ideas that result from them.

As Jesus says: John 5.39 'You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life.'

The book teaches, but what you do with that teaching is your choice and your life and your journey with God.
"Be loving as your lord is loving´ Christian ´Compassionate as Allah is compassionate´ Muslim, and Jew,´be humble and love Yihweh your God with everything you´ve got´"

"Look! More Queens then Beas is a bad thing!"

"Judge others as you wish to be judged"

Quotes:- ME

Oh and "yes these are my ideas!"

"the Golden rule of Buddism is not ´it´s every monk for himself´Quote- A.f.c.W