Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

ANOTHER WAR - RIGHT OR WRONG

Post #1

Post by Choir Loft »

For many years, the intent of the military-industrial complex and the US intelligence community has been to lead America into war after war after war. As of this writing the US government in involved in more than 20 wars and shadow wars(1).

The constitution forbids entrance into war without a declaration by an act of congress, yet no such act has been forthcoming since Dec. 8, 1941. Following WWII, the National Security Act of 1947 transferred congressional authority to the president and since that time America has been led into one costly, bloody pointless conflict after another.

War in Syria is now before us and every ounce of propaganda the government can muster is being used to persuade America to go into battle again.

Do you agree? Disagree? Why?

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

(1) A shadow war is semi-secret, not exactly unknown and unpublished in the media but it's goals, participants and events on the battlefield are murky in the eyes of the general public. The US shadow war in Yemen is an example.
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

Donray
Guru

Post #2

Post by Donray »

God like war since it causes suffering and through suffering we learn to be good Christians.

This is one of the main augments why God allows suffering.

Dantalion
Guru

Re: ANOTHER WAR - RIGHT OR WRONG

Post #3

Post by Dantalion »

Choir Loft wrote: For many years, the intent of the military-industrial complex and the US intelligence community has been to lead America into war after war after war. As of this writing the US government in involved in more than 20 wars and shadow wars(1).

The constitution forbids entrance into war without a declaration by an act of congress, yet no such act has been forthcoming since Dec. 8, 1941. Following WWII, the National Security Act of 1947 transferred congressional authority to the president and since that time America has been led into one costly, bloody pointless conflict after another.

War in Syria is now before us and every ounce of propaganda the government can muster is being used to persuade America to go into battle again.

(1) A shadow war is semi-secret, not exactly unknown and unpublished in the media but it's goals, participants and events on the battlefield are murky in the eyes of the general public. The US shadow war in Yemen is an example.

what propaganda ?
the truth is Syria is turning into a massive killing field. Showing footage of actual atrocities happening is hardly 'propaganda'

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Choir Loft »

Dantalion wrote:
Choir Loft wrote: For many years, the intent of the military-industrial complex and the US intelligence community has been to lead America into war after war after war. As of this writing the US government in involved in more than 20 wars and shadow wars(1).

what propaganda ?
the truth is Syria is turning into a massive killing field. Showing footage of actual atrocities happening is hardly 'propaganda'
Cambodia -

The killing fields of Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge in the 1970s received little or no attention here in the United States, yet the level of human barbarism reached levels even Hitler never dreamed of.

The root cause of war is that one nation wants what another nation has. Cambodia and its people had nothing that America wanted, hence we could care less how many of them died.

Propaganda is information directed at a general population with the purpose of persuading them to agree with the governments policy. I think Adolph Hitler described its purpose best.

"By clever and persevering use of propaganda even heaven can be represented as hell to the people, and conversley the most wretched life as paradise."

"All effective propaganda must be limited to a very few points and must harp on these in slogans until the last member of the public understands what you want him to understand."

"All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach."

Until recently, the American public was protected by law from extreme governmental propaganda. The law has been repealed and we may expect a great onslaught of misinformation in the future. The American people are expected to support any war, any financial stress, any unjust police policy the government chooses to enact.

Polls and surveys indicate that US involvement in war with Syria is unpopular.
Do you agree or disagree that it would be justified by the profits our corporations would report from the debacle?

R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Choir Loft »

Donray wrote: God like war since it causes suffering and through suffering we learn to be good Christians.

This is one of the main augments why God allows suffering.
"From whence come wars and fightings among you? Come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not."
- James 4:1-2

According to the Bible, war results from coveting one's neighbor's goods - a sin.

Instead of working to obtain that which one wants - it's taken.
Instead of establishing trade agreements - it's taken.

Suffering comes to man whether God ordains it or not. It's simply the nature of the beast. Sooner or later, it comes. The body breaks down or accidents and disease happen. Suffering comes.

In some instances, God directs that suffering will come. Read the book of Job.

Except for one odd chapter in that book, most of the teaching there is pointed at one unusual fact regarding God's dealing with humans and their suffering.

With regard to suffering ordained by God, the book of Job says it's none of our business. It's nothing we have a vote upon. We can only - suffer - through it.

As for war, it happens. In a limited sequence of events in the Old Testament, God directed a limited war for a limited time. The reasons for it were to purge the land of godless profane people and to establish the Hebrew people on the land in their place.

Scoffers and those who hate religion often point to this time in history and condemn the Almighty for His actions. At the same time they tend to forgive our own people in America for doing exactly the same thing against the Native Americans. For some reason it's ok for the American government to sanction genocide and to make war upon innocent people, but it's not ok in the Bible.

There's a difference?

The Bible can be very raw at times. So can life. That's the way things are in the world and its time for kiddies to grow up and realize that bad things truly happen.

The point of the gospel is NOT to stop war, it's to proclaim God's mercy.

Jesus Christ did NOT come to make bad people good. Jesus came to make dead people live.

If you understand that simple statement, you'll understand most of the rest of the Bible's intent.

R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

Dantalion
Guru

Post #6

Post by Dantalion »

Choir Loft wrote:
Dantalion wrote:

what propaganda ?
Cambodia -

The killing fields of Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge in the 1970s received little or no attention here in the United States, yet the level of human barbarism reached levels even Hitler never dreamed of.

The root cause of war is that one nation wants what another nation has. Cambodia and its people had nothing that America wanted, hence we could care less how many of them died.

Propaganda is information directed at a general population with the purpose of persuading them to agree with the governments policy. I think Adolph Hitler described its purpose best.

"By clever and persevering use of propaganda even heaven can be represented as hell to the people, and conversley the most wretched life as paradise."

"All effective propaganda must be limited to a very few points and must harp on these in slogans until the last member of the public understands what you want him to understand."

"All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach."

Until recently, the American public was protected by law from extreme governmental propaganda. The law has been repealed and we may expect a great onslaught of misinformation in the future. The American people are expected to support any war, any financial stress, any unjust police policy the government chooses to enact.

Do you agree or disagree that it would be justified by the profits our corporations would report from the debacle?

I rather have a world police that is rather selective to intervene than nobody doing anything at all. Lesser of two evils etc.
If any intervention whatsoever can actually diminish human suffering in a certain region, I could care less about who would financially profit from such an intervention.
And if your citizens aren't particularly known globally for their critical thinking skills I can't really blame the use of simplistic propaganda to try to get their support.
It's not my or 'the government's fault the masses are so easily swayed.
As evidenced on this site, an actual thorough debate only works if both sides value logic and reason.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Choir Loft »

Dantalion wrote:
Choir Loft wrote:
Dantalion wrote:

what propaganda ?
Cambodia -

I rather have a world police that is rather selective to intervene than nobody doing anything at all. Lesser of two evils etc.
If any intervention whatsoever can actually diminish human suffering in a certain region, I could care less about who would financially profit from such an intervention.
And if your citizens aren't particularly known globally for their critical thinking skills I can't really blame the use of simplistic propaganda to try to get their support.
It's not my or 'the government's fault the masses are so easily swayed.
As evidenced on this site, an actual thorough debate only works if both sides value logic and reason.
The point that I was trying to make in recalling the incident in Cambodia and comparing it with Syria is that American actions are not altogether altruistic. US motives are motivated by something other than humanitarian responsibilities. They always have been and they always will be.

This is the point of propaganda - to make the population of a nation BELIEVE and to act on its beliefs, rather than to disseminate KNOWLEDGE and act on fact.

"I don't want my people to know, I want them to believe."
- Benito Mussolini

"Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as His divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with justice and it seems that I can hear God saying to America, 'You are too arrogant. If you don't change your ways I will rise up and break the back bone of your power.'"
- Rev Martin Luther King, Jr. (circa 1967)

The most highly decorated Marine Corps General in US history, Smedley D. Butler understood all too well the real nature of the US Marine Corps and US foreign policy in general when he concluded after his retirement in 1931 that;
"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service, and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism."

"The US government is the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today."
- Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. (1966)

The de facto role of the US armed forces will be to keep the world safe for our economy and open to our cultural assault. To those ends, we will do a fair amount of killings.
- Major Ralph Peters

One of the major indicators that a nation has moved away from a democratic form of government to a fascist government is constant war and a culture that accepts a heightened sense of militarism. America is now a post-constitutional nation which has enthusiastically embraced fascism.

If you want to make sense of what is happening around you, you must use the proper frame of reference. Looking at US actions through the lens of democratic principles leaves one confused and puzzled. Looking at US actions through the realization that we are a fascist state makes perfect sense of what we are doing.

I didn't say I like it, just that's the way it is. Until and unless Americans get their collective heads out of their collective fantasies we as a nation will never reverse the trend until destruction visits us.

And visit us it will.......

IF GOD DOES NOT JUDGE AMERICA HE WILL HAVE TO APOLOGIZE TO SODOM AND GOMORRAH.

R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.