75%
No
25%

Total votes: 4

HawkSA16

Ethics in Medicine

Post #1

Post by HawkSA16 »

I am asking for your views. I believe this is a very difficult question to answer.

Suppose a girl goes into a hospital for a surgery. The doctor screws up the surgery so badly that the girl's heart and brain no longer function; however, the doctor is able to hook her up to a ventilator, which pumps blood for her and helps her get oxygen throughout her body. After several days the girl makes no recovery.

Would it be right for her to be unplugged?

bluethread
Savant

Re: Ethics in Medicine

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

HawkSA16 wrote: I am asking for your views. I believe this is a very difficult question to answer.

Suppose a girl goes into a hospital for a surgery. The doctor screws up the surgery so badly that the girl's heart and brain no longer function; however, the doctor is able to hook her up to a ventilator, which pumps blood for her and helps her get oxygen throughout her body. After several days the girl makes no recovery.

Ideally, I think the ethics need to be worked out before she is hooked up. Once she is hooked up, the game of competing interests is inevitable.

That is the problem with these questions. There are always at least two competing interests. It sounds cold, but the girl is no longer relevant. It is now a battle between the legal industrial complex and the medical industrial complex. Morality is then just a tool for each side to use in that battle. She will not be unplugged until her lawyer is able to extract every last penny from the doctor and the hospital, then absolutely. If the doctor had not screwed up the surgery, but the outcome was the same, she would not be unplugged until the hospital had extracted every last penny from the family or the government, then absolutely.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #3

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 1 by HawkSA16]

How to deal with the doctor may be difficult, but what's so difficult about the question of unplugging? Not only would it be right for her to be unplugged, it would be wrong to leave her plugged in. Brain dead? Then unplug, as simple as that.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

If her brain is not functioning, she is dead. Unplug as soon as any needed organs have been harvested.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

McCulloch wrote: If her brain is not functioning, she is dead. Unplug as soon as any needed organs have been harvested.
Yet another of the competing interests. Isn't keeping her "alive" long enough to harvest the organs literally ghoulish, if not cannibalistic?

Hatuey
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Hatuey »

bluethread wrote:
McCulloch wrote: If her brain is not functioning, she is dead. Unplug as soon as any needed organs have been harvested.
Yet another of the competing interests. Isn't keeping her "alive" long enough to harvest the organs literally ghoulish, if not cannibalistic?

No. It is merciful and righteous. Take the perspective of those lives that would be saved or made much better. No need to waste goodness (living organs) and allow evil (malfunctioning organs). Reminds me of the work of Christ on the cross, to an extent.

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

Hatuey wrote:
bluethread wrote:

No. It is merciful and righteous. Take the perspective of those lives that would be saved or made much better. No need to waste goodness (living organs) and allow evil (malfunctioning organs). Reminds me of the work of Christ on the cross, to an extent.
Interesting use of the term evil. So, a person who has a heart attack has an evil heart? :lol: None the less, that is my point. The morality of the situation is dependent on the interests being served, ie the ends justify the means. What is interesting is that the family is not permitted to receive compensation for the organs to cover the medical costs.

Hatuey
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Hatuey »

bluethread wrote:Interesting use of the term evil. So, a person who has a heart attack has an evil heart? :lol: None the less, that is my point.

IF you like. The heart is malfunctioning and will cause loss of life (evil, I guess...right? or not good, whatever) and a "good" (not bad) heart will cause goodness instead of not goodness. How many different ways do we have to qualify the words?

bluethread wrote:The morality of the situation is dependent on the interests being served, ie the ends justify the means. What is interesting is that the family is not permitted to receive compensation for the organs to cover the medical costs.
Yep. Whoever the donor selects should profit from the SALE of his/her organs. It's only common sense.

heavensgate
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by heavensgate »

HawkSA16 wrote: I am asking for your views. I believe this is a very difficult question to answer.

Yes very difficult, and more so because I think medicine has advanced so much that it has blurred the line between life and death. If it is merely machines that are artificially prolonging life, then I suggest the decision maker could be at least satisfied that the natural course of life has already finished.
Regards
Jim

Peter
Guru

Post #10

Post by Peter »

Of course. No brain function = no person. Your question couldn't be simpler unless you buy into the soul theory. If that's the case good luck. There's nothing quite as sad as a person being tormented over wished for but baseless beliefs.
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens