Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Hatuey
Banned
Banned

Abortion Solution Possibilities

Post #1

Post by Hatuey »

The purpose of this thread is NOT to discuss whether abortion is right or wrong or whether women should have the ability to abort at what stage of pregnancy or whatever. (Of course, the thread might BECOME about one or more of those topics, since thread-hijacking is completely encouraged, here, but it's not the intended focus). The purpose of this thread, hopefully, is to discuss more democratic methods of solving the issue with a more popular outcome that in many cases preserves life and/or uses it instead of destroying it.

Assumed:

Most people find abortion to be unpleasant in its methods and outcome in that evolution demands that we hold life in higher regard than nonlife. Certainly we'd prefer to prevent unwanted life from occurring than to destroy it once it has occurred. (I intend this "universally." In other words, generally speaking, we would rather prevent a virus from making us sick than to catch the virus and allows its life to flourish inside us and THEN kill it with medicine). Use whatever example you wish: tumors, parasites, etc..

Solutions:

There has to be other possible ways to deal with the concern. I'm hoping this thread will generate at least three or four. One "fair" way might be to allow society to determine the best way to deal with the fetus as the majority feels is appropriate. (Hopefully, many of them constructive ways that do not destroy the life, if it can be called that at the particular stage in question). So, a person wanting to be rid of a fetus would simply turn it over to the state. The state then uses that fetus in the way it has been democratically decided that a fetus at that stage and with that viability should be utilized. That way it's the responsibility of the whole society and nobody needs to point fingers at anybody else. (It'd be interesting to allow the "donors" of the fetuses to perhaps have an extra vote on what happens to ALL fetuses, but maybe that idea muddies the water a bit too much...)

I'm sure there's much better ideas out there (what this thread is for), and my idea could certainly be made much better by sensible suggestions, but it would make sense to "spread the blame/guilt" on such a heavy issue as this one.

Very interested in any other ideas or augmentations to the one I've offered that would improve upon it. (Please remember this thread is not about whether abortion is right or wrong or any of the silly semantics that surround the "abortion debate.")

Jashwell
Guru

Re: Abortion Solution Possibilities

Post #31

Post by Jashwell »

Peter wrote:
Charming Anarchist wrote: People who like abortion sign a different public register that says: "I am not against abortion."
Are there actually people who like abortion? I don't like abortion but I'm sure as heck not going to force a woman to have a child unless I'm willing to raise it for her and I've already raised four so I'm done.
In response to wiploc as well:

Most people like the option of abortion.
Whether or not you actually find having an abortion enjoyable is up to you.

I would imagine most people don't - even if simply because half the population can't.
Though it is true that abortion is kind of analogous to killing a mosquito that's been drinking your blood for the past few weeks.

corky
Student

Abortion

Post #32

Post by corky »

According to Romans ch 13, we are to obey the government of our, land and since abortion is not illegal, why do Christians have a problem with it?

TheThinWhiteDuke

Simple solution

Post #33

Post by TheThinWhiteDuke »

The solution is simple really.

Let's say you can have a abortion up to 24 weeks. Till that moment when it is legal, it's up to the mother to decide to have a abortion.

Not me, not you, not pro-life, not anti abortion, no religion institutes should have any say in this matter ever.
It doesn't matter whatever believes you have, it's not up to you, and never should be.

That's why, i don't understand this issue and arguments on this matter.
Who is me, who are you, and who is whatever, to tell someone what he can and what he can't do, when it comes to yourself.

I am happy the government has it legal in most states, and do not force woman having illegal abortions.

Neatras
Guru

Re: Simple solution

Post #34

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 32 by TheThinWhiteDuke]

In a situation in which the father is not willing to support the soon-to-be-born individual, yet the mother insists on carrying to term, what is the solution you propose for the father, whose input is not considered a deciding factor in the dichotomy of 'abort/not abort'?

Jashwell
Guru

Re: Simple solution

Post #35

Post by Jashwell »

[Replying to post 33 by Neatras]

The mother's input is the only input that counts for abortion.
(So long as mothers are the ones that have to be pregnant)

That said, merely being the biological mother or father doesn't carry much weight with regards to whether or not you should support the child imho.

If there's either no reason to assume that one or both biological parents want a child (i.e. if they'd just met and got off at a party) or active reason to assume they don't (i.e. they explicitly said so), and the child is carried to term, then you shouldn't expect any support from the other parent.

If both don't, then in an ideal world they should disown the child and it'll be raised in a good home.. though depending on where you live and how lucky the child is, that may or may not happen in real life.