The ninth commandment

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

The ninth commandment

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Is it OK nowadays to lie and bear false witness against people because one FEELS good about it?

The reason I post this for debate is that I recall a certain entertainter accusing one of our former presidents of racism without any substantial evidence.

I mentioned this on another site and someone defended this entertainer because it was his "opinion" and represented the "way he felt" about the matter. Neither did this defender provide any evidence to support this entertainter's charge of racism.

Also, I note a certain speaker of the one of the houses of Congress who on more than one occasion has lied about one of his party's political opponents AND some civilians. He seems to think he can say whatever he wants as long as it serves to achieve his desired end, because speaking from the floor grants him immunity from false charges directed at another.

It has since been demonstrated that his charges were false in the first, and in the second instance.

So the question for debate is this.

In light of these examples, do folks now consider it OK to bear false witness against another as long as they feel like doing so? The irony of this is that these are both avowedly religous folks who should know better.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

I think that most of us, Christian and not, agree that it is wrong to bear false witness against someone, wrong to knowingly accuse someone falsely of wrongdoing. It then is somewhat obvious that anyone who has actually done that, while claiming to be a Christian is a hypocrite. Such a person, in my view, is an embarrassment and a discredit to the reputation of the faithful and it would be the duty of his Christian brethren to admonish and rebuke him to publicly repent. If what you say is true, then the continued association of this false accuser with any Christian organization is damaging to the reputation of such organizations. But without knowing the particulars, I have no way of knowing if what you say is, in fact, true.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

McCulloch wrote: I think that most of us, Christian and not, agree that it is wrong to bear false witness against someone, wrong to knowingly accuse someone falsely of wrongdoing. It then is somewhat obvious that anyone who has actually done that, while claiming to be a Christian is a hypocrite. Such a person, in my view, is an embarrassment and a discredit to the reputation of the faithful and it would be the duty of his Christian brethren to admonish and rebuke him to publicly repent. If what you say is true, then the continued association of this false accuser with any Christian organization is damaging to the reputation of such organizations. But without knowing the particulars, I have no way of knowing if what you say is, in fact, true.
I agree, but I am reluctant to name names because of the possibility I might be wrong in the particualar instances I cited.( I don't think I am wrong, but there's always a chance I missed something.)

But in general, it is something I have noticed that among youth oriented popular culture anyway, their subjective feelings on a matter more and more often justifies slander, in the guise of "free speech" and their feelings on the matter.

And you are right, that if one does it as a well known member of a particular religion, or while proclaiming God on one hand while judging and condemning someone else on the other, (without good evidence) then it seems to be one is truly being hypocritical.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: The ninth commandment

Post #4

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
In light of these examples, do folks now consider it OK to bear false witness against another as long as they feel like doing so?
I don't think anyone needs a reason to lie (bear false witness) past 'because'. The world is so complex these days - with new conceptual ideas, thoughts, communication, interaction, etc - that many, many things could be considered a lie to certain people.
This is why to commandments are, IMO, to used only as a basis for one's moral center or self. There is no black and white in that regard.

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

I'm an Atheist, but I know it's wrong to falsely accuse someone. Still, since we humans are, shall we say, morons, it's going to happen regardless of how advanced we've become. It's an unfortunate thing humans do to one another. Maybe we'll grow out of it eventually. One can only hope.

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: I'm an Atheist, but I know it's wrong to falsely accuse someone. Still, since we humans are, shall we say, morons, it's going to happen regardless of how advanced we've become. It's an unfortunate thing humans do to one another. Maybe we'll grow out of it eventually. One can only hope.
On what do you propose we base that hope?

Apprentice

Post #7

bluethread
Savant

Post #8

Post by bluethread »

Then are you referring to hope as a rational response or an emotional response?

Apprentice

Post #9

[Replying to post 8 by bluethread]

Emotional, I suppose. I can't really foresee humans becoming completely honest anytime soon.

bluethread
Savant

Post #10

Post by bluethread »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: [Replying to post 8 by bluethread]

Emotional, I suppose. I can't really foresee humans becoming completely honest anytime soon.
So it appears that al we can do is work ourselves up into an irrational emotional state. At least you are not lying to yourself. (pun intended)