Youtube and social media

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Youtube and social media

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

All to often we hear in the news of folks behaving badly, horribly in some instances and filming and posting their crimes and exploits on YouTube and Facebook in the hopes of their 15 minutes of fame or noteriety even.

Texting while driving and causing accidents, some serious and fatal. Playing the "knockout game" and nearly murdering innocent folks minding their own business, and otherwise just acting stupidly, foolishly or trashy just to get attention, or because they were "bored".

I know the internet has been a force for good too, medical commnunication advancements, a forum for freedom in repressed countries etc.

But I wonder, and this is the question for debate. Has Youtube and social media brought out the best in anyone? Or only the worst.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

cnorman18

Re: Youtube and social media

Post #2

Post by cnorman18 »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

I think the Internet is like any tool ever made by humans; it serves either good or evil, depending on the user. When we lived in caves, fire kept us warm, cooked our food, and made us safe from the wild animals; but it was also used as a weapon, and still is. The same can be said for a knife, a hammer, a car, or nuclear energy.

Too, people have always done terrible things to get famous. Consider Jack the Ripper's letters to the newspapers and John Wilkes Booth's declamation from the stage of Ford's Theater -- "Sic semper tyrannis!"

The internet is a wonderful medium of communication; it's easier to get good information that one previously had to find through a physical search of the books in a library -- but it's also easier to get BAD information, because now any nutball with an opinion, no matter how crazy, illogical, or simply and provably false, can publish his nuttiness for the world to read. Before the Net, one had to find equally nutty publishers to do that. Turns out we now have ABSOLUTE freedom of the press -- and it turns out that that's not always an unequivocally good thing.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
Has Youtube and social media brought out the best in anyone? Or only the worst.
Social media has only brought it to our attention, nothing much more IMO. People have always done, and will always do, stupid/dangerous things.
While there is some thought that 'the more people that see me do this the more likely I am to do it' is making these instances increase, I don't think this is the case for the vast majority of people.
I don't blame social media or people WANTING to watch people doing stupid/dangerous things, I blame their upbringing (and, maybe hormones in food) for making these people think these stupid/dangerous things are OK to do.
Our pehaps it's evolution weeding out the 'dumb'...?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

connermt wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
Has Youtube and social media brought out the best in anyone? Or only the worst.
Social media has only brought it to our attention, nothing much more IMO. People have always done, and will always do, stupid/dangerous things.
While there is some thought that 'the more people that see me do this the more likely I am to do it' is making these instances increase, I don't think this is the case for the vast majority of people.
I don't blame social media or people WANTING to watch people doing stupid/dangerous things, I blame their upbringing (and, maybe hormones in food) for making these people think these stupid/dangerous things are OK to do.
Our pehaps it's evolution weeding out the 'dumb'...?
I agree to a certain degree. But I would say that social media is a catalyst, I think it accelerates and amplifies the good AND the evil in society.

Example, the advances in medical science can now be shared via the internet more readily than it could before the electronic age.

Humanitarians can now connect with each other and join forces for good more easily.

But on the flip side, evil and stupid people can and do play for the camera. (youtube especially) Thugs filming their own exploits so they can have their 15 minutes of fame on youtube, even stooping to playing the "knockout game" almost killing innocent bystanders. And these morons do not realize or think about the fact that the very act posting or bragging on the internet has often led to their arrests.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

HardMichael

Post #5

Post by HardMichael »

I always associate Social Media with selling. Our social networks are full of ads that are trying to convince us to buy. It's not strictly a bad thing, if you are following nice people or companies.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by DavidLeon »

RGoldManning wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:44 pm I agree with you, we call it digital marketing and Social Media with its ads is a part of it. As I know, they have an interesting strategy for promoting things. Generally, if you are not interested in smoking or drinking so you won't see such an advertisement on your Facebook page. All ads are targeted to a specific audience. If you don't follow the evil, he won't follow you too. Social Media helps a lot to promote the business because most of the time people are spending on the socian networks. We are consumers of information, I'm working with digital marketing san diego, these guys promote just good stuff. They won''t collaborate with companies that promotes what is bad.
Who decides what is bad and how do they determine that? Controversial? Politically Correct? Partisan?
I no longer post here

Menotu
Sage

Post #7

Post by Menotu »

Elijah John wrote: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:18 am All to often we hear in the news of folks behaving badly, horribly in some instances and filming and posting their crimes and exploits on YouTube and Facebook in the hopes of their 15 minutes of fame or noteriety even.

Texting while driving and causing accidents, some serious and fatal. Playing the "knockout game" and nearly murdering innocent folks minding their own business, and otherwise just acting stupidly, foolishly or trashy just to get attention, or because they were "bored".

I know the internet has been a force for good too, medical commnunication advancements, a forum for freedom in repressed countries etc.

But I wonder, and this is the question for debate. Has Youtube and social media brought out the best in anyone? Or only the worst.

There's so much to choose from I don't think anyone can say for sure one way or the other. Surely there's a lot of negative things on social media (SM) but that's what tends to get the views. One job a long time ago told me negative interactions get 10 times as much publicity than positive ones. I think the same holds true for SM.
And/or maybe it's proportional to the species: maybe people are more negative than positive and it's a one-for-one representation of what people are?
There's good things on there, you just have to look for them.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

Elijah John wrote: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:18 am All to often we hear in the news of folks behaving badly, horribly in some instances and filming and posting their crimes and exploits on YouTube and Facebook in the hopes of their 15 minutes of fame or noteriety even.

If there were a only a handful of people on the planet, it would be a much easier answer. As it stands now, there's too many that have access to such things to be able to render such a verdict.
Even so, I'd say that social media has, at least, made both the good and bad about humanity much more visible. That would tend to lead some to think it brings out the best/worst in people when, in fact, both good and bad have been there all along - it's just more visible now.
That said, the allure of '15 minutes of fame' does tend to make people want to 'one up the other guy' and that leads to ever increasing bad behavior, as it's the bad behavior that seems to get the most attention and talk.
Or at least it seems that way.
While I believe social media has allowed bad things to be made viewable, I'd suspect many of those bad actions would have manifested themselves in another aspect of one's life.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:45 pm

If there were a only a handful of people on the planet, it would be a much easier answer. As it stands now, there's too many that have access to such things to be able to render such a verdict.
Even so, I'd say that social media has, at least, made both the good and bad about humanity much more visible. That would tend to lead some to think it brings out the best/worst in people when, in fact, both good and bad have been there all along - it's just more visible now.
That said, the allure of '15 minutes of fame' does tend to make people want to 'one up the other guy' and that leads to ever increasing bad behavior, as it's the bad behavior that seems to get the most attention and talk.
Or at least it seems that way.
While I believe social media has allowed bad things to be made viewable, I'd suspect many of those bad actions would have manifested themselves in another aspect of one's life.
Yep. I get in trouble without the trappings of modern technology. Recently had to do a spell in the funny farm for running up and down the road nekkid, ahollering about how whotheheckever "they" were, atrying to get me. Now I ain't allowed off the property cept to fetch groceries and go to church. Which actually works great - don't hafta go shopping with the pretty thing, don't hafta go to church. I'm living the life! (Ain't allowed to grocery shop cause I keep sneaking candy in the cart, and I can't have candy cause, well I reckon it's cause I got me an old lady)

I mean, I feel bad for not fetching stuff to the car, but I make up for it in the fetching em into the house, and the occasional bug squishing. Mostly I just catch the bugs and throw em outside, but that's still a bug squishing credit I can store up and claim against the not putting the lid down. We have a system.

Humans've been being humans ever since that first'n, all technology's done is to improve our ability to document em abeing it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin