Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

livingwordlabels
Apprentice

Can we criticise other people?

Post #1

Post by livingwordlabels »

Background:
In 2011, here in the UK, Prime Minister David Cameron ordered a judicial public inquiry into the culture, practices and ethics of the British press (the so-called ‘Leveson’ inquiry). This followed a series of allegations by people considering themselves to be victims of media intrusion.

One of the victims (a highly successful and respected public figure) had won a court case against the News of the World newspaper which had alleged his involvement in a sex act involving some female prostitutes, on the grounds that it had breached his privacy. In the inquiry, he made it clear that he could not understand why anyone should criticise his actions. ‘I think the law is very clear, and I think it’s quite right, that if it’s private, it’s adult and it’s consensual, then it concerns nobody else.’ He added, ‘it’s a completely old-fashioned idea. It dates from the days when, for example, I was young, where it was illegal to be gay, and all sorts of sexual activities . . . were actually criminal offences . . . and all that’s been changed. The world has moved on . . . the fact is we live in a civilised society where grown-ups in private should be allowed to do what they please.’

If interested, his full statement can be found on: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... -20112.pdf

My questions:
  • Should we be free to do what we please?
    Are there any boundaries?
    Is everyone above criticism?
    Do those actions we do in private affect anyone else?
    Does it matter that laws concerning moral values can change depending on who is in power?
    Do people’s actions bother you?

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: Can we criticise other people?

Post #2

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 1 by livingwordlabels]

1)Should we be free to do what we please?
2)Are there any boundaries?
3)Is everyone above criticism?
4)Do those actions we do in private affect anyone else?
5)Does it matter that laws concerning moral values can change depending on who is in power?
6)Do people’s actions bother you?
1) If it's all involved parties agree - all participants are OK with it and the outcome, yes
2) See #1 above
3) Absolutely not. What would be the point of that?
4) Depends on the 'actions'. If it impacts others negatively, then it shouldn't be done. If it only impacts the willing participants, go for it.
5) There should be NO laws based on morality
6) Yes. But I roll my eyes, or complain to those who will listen, and move on with my day

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

"Should we be free to do what we please?"

As long as no one else is bothered or harmed directly, I think so.

"Are there any boundaries?"

For instance, things like murder and theft should be prevented to the best of our abilities, but puffing a joint or getting a gay marriage should be completely legal.

"Is everyone above criticism?"

Absolutely not. I do hate when I see people under fire for making personal decisions like having sexual encounters with a prostitute or sending naked imaged via the internet. It's really no one's business except for the people directly involved. Still, this is human nature. We're nosy and pervasive creatures.

"Do those actions we do in private affect anyone else?"

Only if someone else is involved.

"Does it matter that laws concerning moral values can change depending on who is in power?"

'Morality' should not be considered for any laws and rules. It's mostly an invented concept, usually associated with religious principles that may not be acceptable in modern society whatsoever.

"Do people’s actions bother you?"

Only if they're ridiculous actions that either prevent social progression or harm others.

livingwordlabels
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by livingwordlabels »

Would you be ok if your teenage son/daughter was thinking of / doing these things? Would you encourage them?

Deidre32
Student

Post #5

Post by Deidre32 »

Sometimes, constructive criticism can be very helpful to people. Without it, where would we be. I don't believe in judging others based on my vision of reality. I'm an atheist, and I believe in subjective morality. That said, society tends to construct laws based on boundaries, and what is deemed acceptable and not acceptable.

Perhaps, to varying degrees, criticism and judgement can be a positive thing if it keeps society safe.

As far as criticizing people though in terms of forcing your own sense of morality on them? You can criticize anyone you wish, but to me, morality is not up to someone else to determine for my life, and since I no longer follow Christianity, I don't believe that there is a set objective morality that a deity constructed.

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

To the best of my ability:
Should we be free to do what we please? If it doesn't hurt others sure
Are there any boundaries? Sure whatever you set for yourself
Is everyone above criticism? No - no one should be above criticism - legit criticism
Do those actions we do in private affect anyone else? Actions done in private that affect others probably are very private.
Does it matter that laws concerning moral values can change depending on who is in power? Unfortunately yes.
Do people’s actions bother you? Sure do. But only to the extent that I allow them to bother me

kiran
Student

Post #7

Post by kiran »

Should we be free to do what we please?

Yes. Within the bounds of the law.

Are there any boundaries?

Yes. Laws and personal morality.

Is everyone above criticism?

No way. Not even anyone.

Do those actions we do in private affect anyone else?

They can. But they can't offend anyone else. (Or shouldn't.)

Does it matter that laws concerning moral values can change depending on who is in power?

Yes. That's one of the reasons that democracy is better than the alternatives.

Do people’s actions bother you?

Some do. If they don't conform to my particular code of ethics.

jerryxplu
Student

Post #8

Post by jerryxplu »

Of course we can, it's part of the freedom of speech.

Now the thing is we have to use tact in the sense that avoid doing that in public or other people can see it, hear it happening. Criticism should be constructive meaning that you don't just say they are bad at something but also mention why and how they can improve it.