Everything is offensive

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Everything is offensive

Post #1

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

It seems to be the norm nowadays to be offended about something. I can hardly post or say anything now without worrying about offending someone. Should things just be said openly anyway and disregard those who are offended? Or should things be made to prevent any potentially offensive materials or behaviors? Thoughts?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

I think you just say it anyway. After all there is a thing called freedom of speech. If you worry about offending everyone you come across, you'll never say anything at all.

Having said that there are ways to speak without going to extremes. You can speak your mind but you don't have to be abusive about it. You can do it and still be civil (as most of the regulars here on this forum can do easy enough) And when it comes to people you care about, you should obviously be a little more careful about what you say than to say strangers on the Internet.

I avoid getting into controversial topics on Facebook because I have a lot of friends and family on there who I don't want to have conflict with. However on a forum like this, if I offend a few people, who cares? Besides, I figure no matter how careful I am sometimes I'm still gonna offend people because there are so many very touchy people around who get upset over the silliest things.

Can you imagine if God was here on this forum posting? As a being with serious self esteem and ego problems, he'd probably be sending natural disasters and horrible diseases to just about everyone on this forum, including his own followers!

PS: Notice, based on my last statement that I did not care about offending Christians and others who worship the genicidal God of the bible.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Apprentice

Post #3

[Replying to post 2 by OnceConvinced]

That last bit made me chuckle heartily. But yes, I know what you mean. It's weird, though. I swear a lot during my normal day, so it's somewhat of a challenge to stop completely, especially while upset, deranged, or mentally incapacitated in any fashion or variety.

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: [Replying to post 2 by OnceConvinced]

That last bit made me chuckle heartily. But yes, I know what you mean. It's weird, though. I swear a lot during my normal day, so it's somewhat of a challenge to stop completely, especially while upset, deranged, or mentally incapacitated in any fashion or variety.
Speaking openly is one thing, but speaking inaccurately is another. For example, are you saying that you thake oaths and make promises, or are you saying that you speak crudely? If it is the latter, the term swaring is really not correct. That use is a cultural misnomer.

Apprentice

Post #5

[Replying to post 4 by bluethread]

Definition of swear: (2) to use offensive language, especially as an expression of anger.

"Peter swore under his breath"

synonyms: curse, blaspheme, utter profanities, utter oaths, use bad language, take the Lord's name in vain; More

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: [Replying to post 4 by bluethread]

Definition of swear: (2) to use offensive language, especially as an expression of anger.

"Peter swore under his breath"

synonyms: curse, blaspheme, utter profanities, utter oaths, use bad language, take the Lord's name in vain; More
So, are you saying that people should not find any language offensive or be offended when you speak in anger?

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Ooberman »

bluethread wrote:
Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: [Replying to post 2 by OnceConvinced]

Speaking openly is one thing, but speaking inaccurately is another. For example, are you saying that you take oaths and make promises, or are you saying that you speak crudely? If it is the latter, the term swearing is really not correct. That use is a cultural misnomer.
But you knew what she meant... if you were aware it was a cultural misnomer... So, then you were compelled to correct her on a pedantic point.. then I felt completed to call you out on yours..

However, since you are the representative theist on this thread, how would you explain God's position on the subject? Can you tell us what God says about either form?

And is swearing wrong in ALL cases? What if you had to swear to save 100 children? What if a killer said you had to say a bad word, or else people would die?

IF you say it's OK in that case because it's obvious, then it's obvious. (It's obvious because we do a cost-benefit analysis in our head).

If you say it's objectively wrong, then it's wrong like murder is wrong. If the theist balks at this, then we are back to recognizing moral issues with Reason, not the Bible - which is probably where God's commentary came from.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

Apprentice

Post #8

[Replying to bluethread]

Actually, I was correcting you about your assumption of what 'swearing' means. Even if the word 'swear' did not used to mean foul language, it does now.
So, are you saying that people should not find any language offensive or be offended when you speak in anger?
Yes, I do think that language should not offend people since the amount of 'naughty' words in the English language are few. But, they still do.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: Everything is offensive

Post #9

Post by connermt »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: It seems to be the norm nowadays to be offended about something. I can hardly post or say anything now without worrying about offending someone. Should things just be said openly anyway and disregard those who are offended? Or should things be made to prevent any potentially offensive materials or behaviors? Thoughts?
There are those who seem to need to be offended - it's as if they actively look for offensive things so they can cry about it.
Personally, I see words as words - it's the intent behind it that can be off-putting. After all, if one group can use certain words to describe them and it be OK, it should be OK for everyone to use those words. If it's not, then it's not about the word, but the intent.
Aside from 'words':
People should grow thicker skins. In a class once, the leader told a story:
She was in a foreign country (Austraila) and used the phrase 'happy campers', as that's a very common phrase where she's from. The class kept giving her weird looks. She said it a few more times and got even more looks. On a break, she asked a student 'Why the looks?' It seems, in Austraila, 'happy campers' is a term to describe gay people.
She didn't know, but surely some were offended!
There needs to be an amount of common sense used with people these days that, unfortunately, they seem to lack.

Lastly, it's the person who gets offended that decides rather or not to be offended. I can call you every negative word in the book, but if you are adamant that you won't get offended, my words are futile.

Darias
Guru

Re: Everything is offensive

Post #10

Post by Darias »

[Replying to post 1 by Princess Luna On The Moon]

This isn't Tumblr; so as long as you remain civil, feel free to speak your mind here.