Abortion is not illegal. God oversees gov't.

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

corky
Student

Abortion is not illegal. God oversees gov't.

Post #1

Post by corky »

Romans 13 say's we are supposed to obey our government. Since abortion is not illegal, why do Christians have a problem with it?

Heretic Gal
Site Supporter

Re: Abortion is not illegal. God oversees gov't.

Post #2

Post by Heretic Gal »

corky wrote: Romans 13 say's we are supposed to obey our government. Since abortion is not illegal, why do Christians have a problem with it?
Some Christians do, others do not. Having been on both sides, I think many of those who oppose abortion do so because they believe the unborn fetus to be equivalent to a born baby, with all the rights that entails. This they oppose legalized abortion because they consider it to be the same as killing a baby. The fact that it is illegal doesn't change their belief that it is wrong and should be opposed, just as any other government-sanctioned killing might be opposed.

Some (not all) Christians extend this concern to include opposition to capital punishment and assisted suicide as well.

Whether or not I personally agree with that, it is a viewpoint that's out there. Paul may or may not have said that Christians shouldn't fight their government, but I think they're justified in ignoring it. Do you agree that no one should ever question the actions of their government? If so, why?

corky
Student

Post #3

Post by corky »

[Replying to post 2 by Heretic Gal]

No, I do not agree that no one should ever question the action(s) of their government. I actually think they should as long as they are clear, tactful and respectful.

Heretic Gal
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Heretic Gal »

[Replying to post 3 by corky]

But doesn't it depend on which particular government is in power, and what they are doing?

I hate to bring down the wrath of Godwin's Law on my head, but what about the government that was in power in Nazi Germany? Did that government deserve to be treated with tact and respect?

corky
Student

Post #5

Post by corky »

[Replying to post 4 by Heretic Gal]

I see. The old bait and switch game... To answer your question... No. And yes it would depend on which government you are talking about.

Heretic Gal
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Heretic Gal »

[Replying to corky]

How is it "bait and switch"? :confused2:

I freely admit that Nazi Germany is an extreme example, but my point still stands that not all governments are equal, and some deserve to be actively opposed.

Forget Nazi Germany - how about North Korea?

corky
Student

Post #7

Post by corky »

[Replying to post 6 by Heretic Gal]

I agree not all government is equal. It is bait and switch because you went from talking about the topic "Abortion" into Political issues. If you want to talk politics there is a forum for that.

Heretic Gal
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Heretic Gal »

corky wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Heretic Gal]

I agree not all government is equal. It is bait and switch because you went from talking about the topic "Abortion" into Political issues. If you want to talk politics there is a forum for that.
Your OP asked why Christians have a problem with abortion, since it's not illegal and the Bible says we are supposed to obey our government. How is it possible to respond to that without being "political"?
Last edited by Heretic Gal on Tue May 20, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corky
Student

Post #9

Post by corky »

[Replying to post 8 by Heretic Gal]

Yes! And the key word in that post was "OUR" government. What do Nazi-Germany, and North Korea have to do with it? I am quite sure they have not legalized genocide here yet; I was just assuming you were a United States citizen.

Heretic Gal
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Heretic Gal »

corky wrote: [Replying to post 8 by Heretic Gal]

Yes! And the key word in that post was "OUR" government. What do Nazi-Germany, and North Korea have to do with it? I am quite sure they have not legalized genocide here yet; I was just assuming you were a United States citizen.
So is it, then, your contention that Saint Paul was specifically referring to the United States government, when he wrote that line in the Letter to the Romans back in the 1st century?