Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Artur Axmann
Banned
Banned

To Occupy or Not to Occupy

Post #1

Post by Artur Axmann »

Excerpt from the "Moment of Truth " document signed by religious leaders living in occupied Palestine.

1.1.2 Israeli settlements ravage our land in the name of God and in the name of
force, controlling our natural resources, including water and agricultural land, thus
depriving hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, and constituting an obstacle to any
political solution.

"Is Judaism validated?"

"By their fruits ye shall know them..."

Is Judaism validated by current events in occupied Palestine???????

Heretic Gal
Site Supporter

Re: To Occupy or Not to Occupy

Post #2

Post by Heretic Gal »

[Replying to post 1 by Artur Axmann]

It's true that Palestinian Christians released a document harshly critical of the Israeli government's actions, and that this document has been perceived as anti-Semitic. However, it also says the following:
In humility and love, we add a word to our Jewish sisters and brothers in the State of Israel and around the world. As Christians addressing the Palestinian cause we must also acknowledge our shameful role in the historic persecution of the Jewish people. We recognize the dehumanizing and destructive power of doctrines and theologies that denigrated Judaism. Our predecessors perpetuated anti-Semitic stereotypes, practiced scapegoating and cloaked prejudice, hostility and murder itself in the robes of our religion. We confess that our churches failed to resist, and sometimes even aided and abetted pogroms, mass dislocations of Jews, and the calamity of the Nazi Holocaust itself. In so doing, they betrayed the teaching and example of the one we claim to follow. We speak for and with our forbears in expressing deep remorse. With a commitment to never forget those failures and to be instructed by them, we pledge ourselves to growth in faithfulness, compassion and justice.

Do you agree with that as well?
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Artur Axmann
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Artur Axmann »

that[Replying to post 2 by Heretic Gal]

it would be their decision to make if they made it.. Of course they haven't had the opportunity to decide whether to make it..Do you agree?

Heretic Gal
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Heretic Gal »

Artur Axmann wrote: that[Replying to post 2 by Heretic Gal]

it would be their decision to make if they made it.. Of course they haven't had the opportunity to decide whether to make it..Do you agree?
Do I agree with what? That the government of Israel, like the government of every other nation that has ever existed in the history of mankind, has made some bone-headed moves during its time in power? Sure, I'll agree with that.

Do you agree that Christians have "perpetuated anti-Semitic stereotypes, practiced stereotyping and cloaked prejudice, hostility and murder itself in the robes of our religion"?
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Artur Axmann
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Artur Axmann »

[Replying to post 4 by Heretic Gal]

I think you understood my question!

But you still haven't mentioned all the terrible things that you claim were done in the name of our religion..

please outline them ,if you can..

Heretic Gal
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Heretic Gal »

Artur Axmann wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Heretic Gal]

I think you understood my question!
To be honest, I didn't. But I am doing my best to respond.
Artur Axmann wrote:But you still haven't mentioned all the terrible things that you claim were done in the name of our religion..

please outline them ,if you can..
But ... they were already outlined in the same document you quoted in your OP, the Kairos "Moment of Truth". That's where I got the paragraph that I quoted from.

Do you only accept their opinion in certain selected areas? :confused2:

Artur Axmann
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Artur Axmann »

Heretic Gal
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Heretic Gal »

No, I'm not. Are you denying that Christians have done terrible things to the Jews over the past 2,000 years?

Artur Axmann
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Artur Axmann »

Heretic Gal wrote:
No, I'm not. Are you denying that Christians have done terrible things to the Jews over the past 2,000 years?
That's what you've been saying isn't it ? So tell me the terrible things or withdraw your claim.

bluethread
Savant

Post #10

Post by bluethread »

No, she is asking you a direct question. Do you acknowledge that "churches failed to resist, and sometimes even aided and abetted pogroms, mass dislocations of Jews, and the calamity of the Nazi Holocaust"? Sounds pretty specific to me.