Sin, faith, and morality

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Sin, faith, and morality

Post #1

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

Do you think faith is relevant when it comes to morality? The bible says that one must have faith in order to be saved, or something like that. Faith is defined as belief without evidence. Is faith, knowing what it means, at all purposeful when it comes to morals? If so, why?

Cephus
Prodigy

Re: Sin, faith, and morality

Post #11

Post by Cephus »

justforme wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Cephus]

first ot all i dont judge how much faith I have, I. Only see it if something scares me., then it proves I lack faith, but, I dont concern my lack, I still know god is there.
but my experiences tell me otherwise, I have overcome my old nature , I know my salvation is, not determined by my imaginaton as so many false christians imagine..
AS far as morality, that I am. It pays to be moral than live lika a pig that has no morals.
Made mistakes in my youth and paid the price for it.
You have no rational basis for making a claim of knowledge regarding God's existence. You believe it. You want it to be true. It makes you feel good to think that it's true. You don't know it. You can be an atheist and be as moral, or more moral, than a Christian, in fact, I'd argue that strong religious belief tends to make people less moral, or at the very least, moral for the wrong reasons.
Want to hear more? Check out my blog!
Watch my YouTube channel!
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

justforme
Student

Post #12

Post by justforme »

Cephus wrote:

first ot all i dont judge how much faith I have, I. Only see it if something scares me., then it proves I lack faith, but, I dont concern my lack, I still know god is there.
but my experiences tell me otherwise, I have overcome my old nature , I know my salvation is, not determined by my imaginaton as so many false christians imagine..
AS far as morality, that I am. It pays to be moral than live lika a pig that has no morals.
You have no rational basis for making a claim of knowledge regarding God's existence. You believe it. You want it to be true. It makes you feel good to think that it's true. You don't know it. You can be an atheist and be as moral, or more moral, than a Christian, in fact, I'd argue that strong religious belief tends to make people less moral, or at the very least, moral for the wrong reasons.
First of all, I did not say aethiests are not moral.
but how many remain resentful and die in their sins?
This also includes many " christians who just follow the law.
The scriptures gives the secret of how God works to change our sinful natures .removing our sins.

atheists who are moral have God in their lives whether know it or not.
Gods secret is a mystery to many Christians because they seek what pleases their ego's.

justforme
Student

Post #13

Post by justforme »

Cephus wrote:

The scriptures gives the secret of how God works to change our sinful natures .removing our sins.

Gods secret is a mystery to many Christians because they seek what pleases their ego's.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Cephus »

justforme wrote:
Cephus wrote:

I didn't say that you had made that claim but it certainly is a common claim among theists. And there's no such thing as sins, so people can't possibly die in them, they don't exist. You're wildly dancing around, trying to rationalize your beliefs when they are really quite faulty. Engaging in logical fallacies in order to keep promoting your religious agenda doesn't impress anyone.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

justforme
Student

Post #15

Post by justforme »

[Replying to post 14 by Cephus]

Okay,
If you don't believe in sin, do you believe in healing?
When my anger fell away, I had a miriculous healing that I suffered with all my life.
I never even asked for it, it was a gift..
I never ask for anything because I know, He knows my needs before I ask.

Just want to say, You mentioned my belief makes me feel good, you are wrong there,
all I feel is eternally thankful for what I hsve found.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Cephus »

justforme wrote: [Replying to post 14 by Cephus]

Okay,
When my anger fell away, I had a miriculous healing that I suffered with all my life.

Just want to say, You mentioned my belief makes me feel good, you are wrong there,
And you have medical records to back this up? You need to look up the difference between correlation and causation, just because two events happen in close proximity to each other, it doesn't mean that one caused the other.

So when is the last time God just gave you a car or a house? Oh wait, that doesn't happen, does it? I'm sure you've got some way to rationalize it too.

And gratitude is an emotion. Just sayin'.

justforme
Student

Post #17

Post by justforme »

Cephus wrote:
justforme wrote: [Replying to post 14 by Cephus]

Okay,

And you have medical records to back this up? You need to look up the difference between correlation and causation, just because two events happen in close proximity to each other, it doesn't mean that one caused the other.

So when is the last time God just gave you a car or a house? Oh wait, that doesn't happen, does it? I'm sure you've got some way to rationalize it too.

And gratitude is an emotion. Just sayin'.
I don't need medical records, This happened over 30 years ago and It never returned.
All the medical profession did was fill me with drugs and painkillers. God doesn't work that way, all He wanted was my anger.
Have a nice day.
I have said enough.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Cephus »

justforme wrote: I don't need medical records, This happened over 30 years ago and It never returned.
All the medical profession did was fill me with drugs and painkillers. God doesn't work that way, all He wanted was my anger.
Have a nice day.
I have said enough.
If you want to convince anyone else that this event you claim happened actually did, then yes, you need to be able to objectively demonstrate it. Unfortunately, lots of theists who claim there were miraculous medical changes can never manage to prove that it ever happened, they can never present a doctor's findings, both before and after the supposed event, showing a dramatic change.

So forgive me if I'm not impressed by your claim. You're welcome to believe whatever you want to believe but you're unlikely to get anyone to take you seriously.

justforme
Student

Post #19

Post by justforme »

Cephus wrote:
justforme wrote: I don't need medical records, This happened over 30 years ago and It never returned.
Have a nice day.
I have said enough.
If you want to convince anyone else that this event you claim happened actually did, then yes, you need to be able to objectively demonstrate it. Unfortunately, lots of theists who claim there were miraculous medical changes can never manage to prove that it ever happened, they can never present a doctor's findings, both before and after the supposed event, showing a dramatic change.

So forgive me if I'm not impressed by your claim. You're welcome to believe whatever you want to believe but you're unlikely to get anyone to take you seriously.
You can't convince a monkey brain.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #20

Post by Elijah John »

justforme wrote:
Cephus wrote:
Have a nice day.
I have said enough.

You can't convince a monkey brain.
Moderator Comment

This is an inappropriate comment. Please refrain from name-calling, even if it is attempted humor or meant to be ironic.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.