Sin, faith, and morality

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Sin, faith, and morality

Post #1

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

Do you think faith is relevant when it comes to morality? The bible says that one must have faith in order to be saved, or something like that. Faith is defined as belief without evidence. Is faith, knowing what it means, at all purposeful when it comes to morals? If so, why?

Mr.M
Student

Re: Sin, faith, and morality

Post #21

Post by Mr.M »

Divine Insight wrote:
I don't see how believing in a God on pure faith could have anything at all to do with morality.

Moreover, if it did, then all humans would be immoral since there are always gods that most humans do not believe in as a matter of faith. For example Christians don't have faith that Zeus is a valid God. Therefore if failure to have faith in a God is immoral, then anyone who doesn't have faith that Zeus is God is immoral.

I second this notion, humans gave morality to religion, not the other way around. faith is irrelevant to morality.

justforme
Student

Post #22

Post by justforme »

[Replying to Mr.M]

If you find GOd, He will make morality part of your soul. Simple.
what are you both trying to figure out?

bluethread
Savant

Post #23

Post by bluethread »

sFaith is an integral part of morality. Humans are not always predictable. If one lives by a moral standard, then one is putting faith in the notion that others will respect that morality. Also, faith need not be without physical evidence. However, the less physical evidence the greater the faith that is necessary. Some of the people with the greatest faith are stock brokers, especially day traders, and many of those are atheists.

justforme
Student

Post #24

Post by justforme »

[Replying to post 23 by bluethread]

Ithought I made myself clear.

bluethread
Savant

Post #25

Post by bluethread »

justforme wrote: [Replying to post 23 by bluethread]

Ithought I made myself clear.
I was not responding to you, but the OP.

Mr.M
Student

Post #26

Post by Mr.M »

[Replying to justforme]

I cannot speak to divine insights response as I do not know him, but for myself, I would say:
I do not accept the premise that I have a soul and furthermore if had such a thing it is not in need of an education from a Bronze Age Palestinian any more than an iron age Viking’s polytheism. It is all claptrap with no supporting evidence .

justforme
Student

Post #27

Post by justforme »

Mr.M wrote: [Replying to justforme]

I cannot speak to divine insights response as I do not know him, but for myself, I would say:
I do not accept the premise that I have a soul and furthermore if had such a thing it is not in need of an education from a Bronze Age Palestinian any more than an iron age Viking’s polytheism. It is all claptrap with no supporting evidence .
Seek and you will find, but don't take my word for it. LOL