Sin limit

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Sin limit

Post #1

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

Is there a sin limit for saved Christians? Say a man (or woman) is saved and a devout Christian, but they have a wild shooting spree and kill a few people. Will they still go into heaven if they ask for forgiveness? Why or why not? Is there a limit, or is god's forgiveness boundless as long as the perpetrator prays afterwards?

This is tying in with the loophole where one can do whatever that want and still be forgiven, making Christianity nothing more than 'the god band-aid.' I'm not saying it is, I'm just curious to see if anyone here thinks there is such a limit.

Haz
Student

Re: Sin limit

Post #31

Post by Haz »

ttruscott wrote:
Was this not because the law cannot impart righteousness? Galatians 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"
You seem to have missed my point. I was answering your claim that some learn righteous in mind and behavior. What you said implies righteousness by works of the law, as what other measure is there for righteousness?

Also, there is no scripture saying we learn righteousness in mind and behavior (not even Heb 12).

And also to say some learn righteousness in mind and behavior seems to suggest that those who do not learn to obey the law of righteousness perfectly, are not righteous.
ttruscott wrote:
Haz wrote:Regarding Heb 12 on chastisement, that is not regarding sin.
The wages of sin is death, and this applies to those who reject Christ. Hence we see your point about " unnecessary suffering is torture" regarding chastisement is not relevant.

Haz, re-read what you wrote here, ok?. Part you say refers to those who reject Christ but therefore the part that does not refer to the rejectors of Christ but to legitimate adopted sons of GOD, that is, those who are reborn in Christ, must be unrelevant to our lives, to our suffering for no reason if not as training in righteousness???

I can't follow this at all...did you read the passage in Heb?

Peace, Ted.
I was saying that those who sin, for them the wages is death. Sin applies to non-believers.

Sin does not apply to Christians (Rom 8:33, 1John 3:9, 1Pet 4:1).

Heb 12 on chastisement, refers to Christians, and it's not saying that Christians sin.

Regarding the suffering of chastisement, it trains Christians so that it may yield the peaceable fruit of righteousness.

The peaceable fruit refers to the fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

But your claim that chastisement trains us in righteousness is to suggest that Christians are not righteous until they have attained righteousness (perfect obedience to the law of righteousness) after being trained through chastisement.

If that was the case then how did the thief on the cross ever enter paradise as he never received any training to attain righteousness?

Are we to assume that those with death bed salvation are blessed over those who live on as Christians and have to endure suffering to be trained in righteousness?

Rowena
Apprentice

Post #32

Post by Rowena »

(Sorry if this post is a bit awkward, years since I've been on this forum, getting used to it again).

I think the theistic answer to the idea of a 'sin limit' is that true believers will not wish to do any major sin. If you truly believe that God exists, loves you, and have let him in, etc, etc, you'd be repulsed by acts of ill.
Edges close to 'No True Scotsman' but makes a kind of sense. Thought experiments aren't automatically relevant to the real world: supposing believers will commit major sins doesn't mean they actually would. if someone has truly accepted God's moral code, how could they?

Of course, the problem is that Christians definitely do sin, but there seem to be varying levels of sin, at least if we borrow Catholic doctrine. There are 'venial', forgivable sins, and mortal sins: the latter being such things as murder, for which a Christian would indeed be damned for perpetrating. More minor, venial sins can be forgiven, though.