If god doesn't follow his own rules, why should we?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

*Let's assume the Christian god is real*

This is mostly about the Old Testament where many rules (the 10 Commandments for instance) are listed. If god so rarely follows his own rules and often switches character traits, why should we follow anything he says? Wouldn't his lack of consistency make him rather pathetic as a supreme leader?

Also, why should we follow something even if we find it immoral? Why is harming other humans in the name of god justified? Or, why is god allowed to get away with killing, harming, or ignoring us, yet whenever something good happens, he gets all the credit?

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

For a reason similar to why you can do things that your dog is not permitted to do. You are not a dog. Adonai is not a man. Different life forms, different rules. Yes, it is argued that Yeshua was Adonai in human form, however, I know of no place where Yeshua violated Torah when he was here on earth.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ttruscott »

Claiming HE does not follow HIS own rules is not proving HE does not, which is why this is in 'Right and Wrong' and not a debate forum

So if bald claims are the order of the day, I claim that GOD perfectly follows all HIS rules and since you brought it up, which rules do you contest?

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

bluethread wrote: For a reason similar to why you can do things that your dog is not permitted to do.
That's a pretty sad explanation when you need to refer to a non-sentient animal as an example.

A dog has no ability to reason and think like a human.

There is no comparison in terms of a God who could supposedly reason whilst humans supposedly couldn't. In fact, your whole argument rests entirely upon the idea that humans have no ability to reason at all.

That's a pretty empty argument, devoid of any rationale.

The God portrayed by the Hebrews is an ignorant male-chauvinist who lacks moral integrity even on a human level. Pretending that this immoral God is somehow so far above a human that a human can't even comprehend its morality is, quite frankly, a truly lame argument.

The Hebrew God and religion is simply immoral. Period amen.

---- Edited to add:

In fact, using a dog is an example is a serious insult to humans.

A dog has no sense of morality. Moreover, where is your example that righteous humans do things that a dog would believe to be immoral? And would those particular humans be justified in their actions?

The Hebrew folklore is filled with highly immoral actions attributed to its God character. And that is based upon what humans believe to be moral.

It's basically just a very flawed fairytale of a God, and the only excuse that you are supporting for it is the idea that just because it appears to be immoral to a human that doesn't mean that its actually immoral. But that is an very poor excuse of a very flawed collection of fables.

Finally, any God that I would worship would need to be at least as moral as myself. The Biblical God doesn't even come close to that standard.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Apprentice

Post #5

[Replying to post 3 by ttruscott]

http://www.evilbible.com/Biblical%20Contradictions.htm

Go to this site and read any of the pages to see what I mean. There are other sites like this one that outline each individual problem within the bible and other holy texts.

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Gracchus »

Perhaps God does follow his own rules, and not the rules some men wrote down for their own reasons.

:-k

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ttruscott »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: [Replying to post 3 by ttruscott]

Go to this site and read any of the pages to see what I mean. There are other sites like this one that outline each individual problem within the bible and other holy texts.
No. I want a dialog with you...with what you think,

peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Apprentice

Post #8

[Replying to post 7 by ttruscott]

Then the most obvious one of all: Thou shalt not kill. Clearly, god has no problem with killing since he's so good at it.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: If god doesn't follow his own rules, why should we?

Post #9

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 1 by Princess Luna On The Moon]
We should only follow the rules in which we live (laws of the land) and our own moral rules. God didn't follow its own rules because that's why got people's attention when the stories were told: "What?!? God drowned the entire planet?!?! Oh...we'd better behave now!"
Besides, with god, there's always a caveat that can be used to excuse any action: don't murder, unless it's for 'justice' or fod 'god's army' or 'well you have to understand the culture at the time this rule was written' or 'well, that's not what the author meant' or some other bull pie

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: [Replying to post 3 by ttruscott]

Instead, why not take a claim from that site post it here and we can discuss it.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."