What is Root of All Evil?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
ThePainefulTruth
Sage
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:47 am
Location: Arizona

What is Root of All Evil?

Post #1

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

It's not money, fame, power or sex. A moral/legal double standard is the root of all evil. Those that want to subvert the rights of others to their own can only justify their evil by declaring that morality is subjective, which would immediately castrate any possible concept of morality at all. These purveyors of subjective morality know it's an absurd contradiction, but their skill is in keeping a straight face on both faces.
Truth=God

User avatar
JJC_3
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #31

Post by JJC_3 »

[Replying to post 1 by ThePainefulTruth]

I'm not sure what you are trying to say but here is my guestimation...
"A moral/legal double standard is the root of all evil." So in a situation where two moral ideologies contredict one another, and in the absence of a moral absolute,God, ultimate perfection, or the question to the answer 42 (from hitchikers guide), evil is derived from ones attempts to controll the shared environment to enforce/secure a positive outcome relative to his/her ideology? In order to subvert someone's rights, the rights in question must be established by a higher authority (organization / God)...
Short answer = source of evil is divergence/separation from a moral absolute

User avatar
2ndRateMind
Site Supporter
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:25 am
Location: Pilgrim on another way
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #32

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 1 by ThePainefulTruth]

The notion that 'man is the measure of all things' has a long and distinguished history amongst philosophers, despite the seeming contradiction that lies in the idea that it is an objective truth that everything is subjective.

Best wishes, 2RM.

User avatar
2ndRateMind
Site Supporter
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:25 am
Location: Pilgrim on another way
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #33

Post by 2ndRateMind »

JJC_3 wrote:
...Short answer = source of evil is divergence/separation from a moral absolute
That was an intelligent response.

My own feeling is that (at this point in time) we are bound to diverge from any moral absolute, because we have not yet discovered what that moral absolute is. So far as ethics goes, we career between extremes, but hopefully converge on a moral reality by trial and error. Each time we get it wrong, and make mistakes, we learn by them, and are less likely to repeat that same mistake in the future. That goes both for free individuals and free societies. My model of human ethical progress is similar to Karl Popper's contention about science; progress happens not by proof, but by disproof. Knowing for certain what is wrong may be the best we can hope for, and knowing what is right may simply be a matter of discarding what we have discovered to be wrong, and a process of elimination.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Dimmesdale
Sage
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: The Temple of Logic
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #34

Post by Dimmesdale »

I think what is at the root of evil is actually a type of good. A disordered desire for good.

This may come across as strange to some people. Many of us are all too used to seeing good in terms of clear divisions and categories. There are villains and the virtuous, and never the twain meet. Well, that is simplistic. I do not want to blend good and evil mind you. That is not want I want to do either. Good is good and evil is evil. I am not denying that they are absolutely bifurcated. What I'm saying is that evil is a perversion of the good. It is a parasite.

We never see people all out for evil in and of itself. There is always some attendant good. Whether that is power, money, sex, etc. Or simply to be notorious, to fulfill some thirst for vengefulness. All these are relative goods. The problem is they are sought in the wrong way. Hence evil.

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3386
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 264 times
Been thanked: 940 times

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #35

Post by Miles »

.

Question: What is Root of All Evil?

Answer: God.

Evidence: Isaiah 45:7

.............................."I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.


.

Dimmesdale
Sage
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: The Temple of Logic
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #36

Post by Dimmesdale »

Miles wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:14 pm .

Question: What is Root of All Evil?

Answer: God.

Evidence: Isaiah 45:7

.............................."I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.


.
That quote can be interpreted a number of ways. It can be taken to mean that God controls events, such as wars, in which he uses secondary causes (humans) for his own purposes in executing his plans. Such as when he used the Babylonians to judge Israel, say. There are numerous instances in the Bible. It does not follow that he approves or sanctions the individual evils that are willed by humans. Only that he uses them for his own ends.

A moment's consideration will show that there are at least 3 different kinds of evils:

natural evils,
evils that come as a consequence of God's righteous judgment
evils that are the consequence of humans' own misuse of free will

God may create the first 2, but not the last 1.

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3386
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 264 times
Been thanked: 940 times

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #37

Post by Miles »

Dimmesdale wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:49 pm
Miles wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:14 pm .

Question: What is Root of All Evil?

Answer: God.

Evidence: Isaiah 45:7

.............................."I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.


.
That quote can be interpreted a number of ways. It can be taken to mean that God controls events, such as wars, in which he uses secondary causes (humans) for his own purposes in executing his plans.
Which would hardly be considered to be an evil, now would it? Of course not. But even if they were evils he benefited from them they would still be evils he created.
Dimmesdale wrote: Such as when he used the Babylonians to judge Israel, say.
Was that truly an evil? Of course not. It was to punish the people of Israel for disobeying his laws and commands.
It does not follow that he approves or sanctions the individual evils that are willed by humans.
But people don't will evil. God does, as he told you in Isaiah 45:7. "I . . .create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things."


.

Dimmesdale
Sage
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: The Temple of Logic
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #38

Post by Dimmesdale »

Miles wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 am That quote can be interpreted a number of ways. It can be taken to mean that God controls events, such as wars, in which he uses secondary causes (humans) for his own purposes in executing his plans.
Which would hardly be considered to be an evil, now would it? Of course not. But even if they were evils he benefited from them they would still be evils he created.[/quote]

It WOULD be an evil for humans who suffer thereby. An evil can be defined as anything that harms. God's justice itself can be construed as an evil, - not to Him but to US. It sounds to me like you answered your own question in the second part of your comment.
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Such as when he used the Babylonians to judge Israel, say.
Was that truly an evil? Of course not. It was to punish the people of Israel for disobeying his laws and commands.
Like I said, it was an evil for the people of Israel. An evil can be positive or negative. So long as it harms, it is an evil. God wasn't affected, but Israel was.
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 am But people don't will evil. God does, as he told you in Isaiah 45:7. "I . . .create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things."
.
People don't will evil? I think everyday experience refutes that. Furthermore, I think that God creating evil means that he uses all individual evils and enfolds them in his master plan. All of us are unwitting participants in a story greater than any of us individually.

I don't see any problem with this interpretation.

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3386
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 264 times
Been thanked: 940 times

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #39

Post by Miles »

Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:21 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 am That quote can be interpreted a number of ways. It can be taken to mean that God controls events, such as wars, in which he uses secondary causes (humans) for his own purposes in executing his plans.
Which would hardly be considered to be an evil, now would it? Of course not. But even if they were evils he benefited from them they would still be evils he created.

It WOULD be an evil for humans who suffer thereby. An evil can be defined as anything that harms.
Sorry, but evil is much more dire than that.

e·vil
/ˈēvəl/

adjective
adjective: evil

profoundly immoral and wicked.


Source: Oxford Languages

_________________________

\ ˈē-vəl
, British often and US sometimes ˈē-(ˌ)vil \
eviler or eviller; evilest or evillest

1a : morally reprehensible : sinful, wicked

Source: Merriam Webster

_________________________

evil
[ ee-vuhl ]

adjective
morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked:

Source: Dictionary.com

__________________________

evil
Pronunciation /ˈēvəl/ /ˈivəl/

adjective

1Profoundly immoral and wicked.

noun

1. Profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force.

‘the world is stalked by relentless evil’

A manifestation of profound immorality and wickedness, especially in people's actions.

Source: Oxford English and Spanish Dictionary

__________________________


evil
(ivəl )
Word forms: evils
1. uncountable noun

Evil is a powerful force that some people believe to exist, and that causes wicked and bad things to happen.

Source: Collins Dicionary


__________________________


e·vil (ē′vəl)
adj. e·vil·er, e·vil·est
1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.
2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.
3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.
4. Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.
5. Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.

Source: The Free Dictionary

Dimmesdale wrote:
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Such as when he used the Babylonians to judge Israel, say.
Was that truly an evil? Of course not. It was to punish the people of Israel for disobeying his laws and commands.
Like I said, it was an evil for the people of Israel. An evil can be positive or negative. So long as it harms, it is an evil. God wasn't affected, but Israel was.

Holllly cow! Well, that's it for me.

Have a good day.

Dimmesdale
Sage
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: The Temple of Logic
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: What is Root of All Evil?

Post #40

Post by Dimmesdale »

Miles wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:29 pm
Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:21 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 am That quote can be interpreted a number of ways. It can be taken to mean that God controls events, such as wars, in which he uses secondary causes (humans) for his own purposes in executing his plans.
Which would hardly be considered to be an evil, now would it? Of course not. But even if they were evils he benefited from them they would still be evils he created.

It WOULD be an evil for humans who suffer thereby. An evil can be defined as anything that harms.
Sorry, but evil is much more dire than that.

e·vil
/ˈēvəl/

adjective
adjective: evil

profoundly immoral and wicked.


Source: Oxford Languages

_________________________

\ ˈē-vəl
, British often and US sometimes ˈē-(ˌ)vil \
eviler or eviller; evilest or evillest

1a : morally reprehensible : sinful, wicked

Source: Merriam Webster

_________________________

evil
[ ee-vuhl ]

adjective
morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked:

Source: Dictionary.com

__________________________

evil
Pronunciation /ˈēvəl/ /ˈivəl/

adjective

1Profoundly immoral and wicked.

noun

1. Profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force.

‘the world is stalked by relentless evil’

A manifestation of profound immorality and wickedness, especially in people's actions.

Source: Oxford English and Spanish Dictionary

__________________________


evil
(ivəl )
Word forms: evils
1. uncountable noun

Evil is a powerful force that some people believe to exist, and that causes wicked and bad things to happen.

Source: Collins Dicionary


__________________________


e·vil (ē′vəl)
adj. e·vil·er, e·vil·est
1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.
2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.
3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.
4. Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.
5. Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.

Source: The Free Dictionary

Dimmesdale wrote:
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Such as when he used the Babylonians to judge Israel, say.
Was that truly an evil? Of course not. It was to punish the people of Israel for disobeying his laws and commands.
Like I said, it was an evil for the people of Israel. An evil can be positive or negative. So long as it harms, it is an evil. God wasn't affected, but Israel was.

Holllly cow! Well, that's it for me.

Have a good day.

Merriam Webster:

evil noun
Definition of evil (Entry 2 of 3)
1a: the fact of suffering, misfortune, and wrongdoing
b: a cosmic evil force
2: something that brings sorrow, distress, or calamity

Didn't look at the secondary definitions, huh?

And yes, evil (as defined above) can be good in certain contexts. Capital punishment, say. (i.e, the doing of justice)

Post Reply