A partial answer to abortion questions.

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

A partial answer to abortion questions.

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

According to government statistics it costs about $250,000 to raise a child in today's US economy. Many couples realize that they do not have that kind of resources available.

Therefore, I propose that abortion opponents DONATE a quarter million dollars to EACH mother / couple to avoid abortion and raise another child.

That should increase population growth in the US by some portion of a million per year – 1.3 million abortions (half by Christians) – and 40 million per year worldwide.

What the Earth really needs is more humans, right?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: A partial answer to abortion questions.

Post #11

Post by Bust Nak »

Elijah John wrote: Nice try, but no one (except a rapist) is FORCING anyone to get pregnant, so therefore no one has an obligation to fund the raisin' of the child.
But you ARE FORCING people to give brith, therefore you have an obligation to fund the raisin' of the child.
But once a child is conceived, one (both parents) takes up the responsibility of parenthood, and to raise the child and not kill it, no matter what stage of development said child may find themselves in.
Alternatively they responsibility by having an abortion.
What you are proposing is blackmail, saying "pay us a quarter of a mil or we will kill the child". Now THAT is coersion!
Lets say we are blackmailing you, what is more important? That quarter of a mil or a child? Because it sounds like you aren't willing to pay up.
Whatever happened to the notion of "personal responsibility" of the woman AND the man who get themselves into the pregnancy situation in the first place?
What happened it to? Ask those who want to limit the ability of people to take "personal responsibility" of their actions. We are all for personal responsibility.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #12

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 9 by TheGreatDebate]
If you don't want a child, THEN DONT HAVE SEX. Children are the result whether you like it or not. You act like it is your right to avoid the consequences of your own actions. And not even in the sense that their are no consequences. You realize there are and you expect others to pay for them. Irresponsibility leads to utopia!
fascinating, I am curious do you happen to have the statistics when countries adopt an abstinence only program?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

ten10ths
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by ten10ths »

TheGreatDebate wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]
According to government statistics it costs about $250,000 to raise a child in today's US economy. Many couples realize that they do not have that kind of resources available.

Therefore, I propose that abortion opponents DONATE a quarter million dollars to EACH mother / couple to avoid abortion and raise another child.
Since you promote unwanted children being a drag on society (ancient Rome aborted up to 2 years of age), I promote everyone providing 62k for each welfare recipient and 15k for each student in the country or we put them to death. It's not like they are doing anything good for society anyway. You know, just living and stuff.

If you don't want a child, THEN DONT HAVE SEX. Children are the result whether you like it or not. You act like it is your right to avoid the consequences of your own actions. And not even in the sense that their are no consequences. You realize there are and you expect others to pay for them. Irresponsibility leads to utopia!

Although I do have to admit, our society has caused the market for this. Children used to be a help for the family, now they are a burden. Reasons: abandoned God = humanism.
At what time was abortion considered not being responsible? As humans, we change out environment and our lifestyles. Simply doin' the deed doesn't always make a child. Sure we should be MORE responsible for our actions - for many abortion is a responsible action that results in what some would call an irresponsible act.
Two wrongs (irresponible sex and irresponsible child rearing) don't make a right.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #14

Post by Clownboat »

Whatever happened to the notion of "personal responsibility" of the woman AND the man who get themselves into the pregnancy situation in the first place?
I don't understand. Did something change?
I thought currently that a woman can decide if it's responsible to attempt to carry a fetus to term or not.

The responsibility is still there, why do you ask about what happened to it?

Maybe you are arguing to take that responsibility away from the mother? :confused2:
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #15

Post by Clownboat »

Of course, many abortions are (unfortunately) LEGAL in this country, but moral is another question. I give the benefit of the doubt on the side of life, so unless a woman's life is threatened or she is raped, I fight, argue, vote and strive to protect the unborn baby.
Why are you pro-abortion when it comes to rape?

Why is it OK to murder a baby when the mother is raped?

If we are allowed to murder babies before they are born because the mother was raped, what stops us from being able to murder them after they are born? They are still the product of a rape.

Its as if there is more value once the thing is born when compared to it being a clump of cells (late term abortions would not apply here obviously).

You don't even like animals in the pound being euthanized, but murdering a baby because the mother was raped is OK with you? This is hard for me to come to terms with. Unless of course you agree that a clump of cells is not as valuable as a baby, but if that's the case, why would you be against a woman choosing to remove a clump of cells from her own body.

Things just aren't adding up for me here.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #16

Post by Clownboat »

If you don't want a child, THEN DONT HAVE SEX.

As a born again, spirit filled, drunk in the Holy Ghost street evangelizing Christian of 2 decades, I would like to put forth that this is bad advise.

I say this after watching so many friends and family members commit to not having sex, only to have sex and not be prepared.

Your advise will result in unwanted pregnancies and is IMO an unrealistic expectation to have for most of our youth. You know, that whole biological creature thing that has survived due to sexual reproduction can not be ignored.

Call them sinners if it makes you feel better, but please, do not expect your advise above to do what you expect in reality. Your advise leads to unwanted pregnancies and I would hope that is not your goal.

Why not try to save wanted pregnancies? Did you not know that your god (if this applies to you) created a process that aborts 70% of conceptions? Most of those are wanted pregnancies, but you seem to promote saving unwanted pregnancies. :confused2:

Savant

Post #17

Post by 1213 »

Peter wrote: More humans indeed! Currently, 400,000 new babies every day and only 200,000 deaths per day worldwide. C'mon people we need to even those numbers out.
And yet some believe that humans have existed over 200 000 years. That is amazing, don’t you think?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #18

Post by Clownboat »

1213 wrote:
Peter wrote: More humans indeed! Currently, 400,000 new babies every day and only 200,000 deaths per day worldwide. C'mon people we need to even those numbers out.
And yet some believe that humans have existed over 200 000 years. That is amazing, don’t you think?
You don't think it is flat too do you? #-o

UFO
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by UFO »

Zzyzx wrote: .

That should increase population growth in the US by some portion of a million per year – 1.3 million abortions (half by Christians) – and 40 million per year worldwide.

What the Earth really needs is more humans, right?
Education and personal responsibility are needed to be taught and enforced in the youth of today. This will help prevent unwanted pregnancy episodes and thus abortions.
From my experience, the church isn't helping much with that (in terms of The Church proper). Maybe the new Pope can help change that? He seems to be a lot more level headed than the last one - though I like PJP myself - at least as much as I knew him.